Wanderlust Au Pair China Program

Wanderlust Au Pair China Program integrates educational travel, Mandarin learning, childcare and English tutoring together for overseas youngsters to experience China with an authentic touch by staying with Chinese host families.

By offering 30 hours of live-in childcare and English teaching per week, you have an opportunity to explore Chinese culture through weekly Mandarin classes, culture immersion activities held by Wanderlust and your day-to-day colorful life with your host family.

We are culture enthusiasts, we love different languages, we love the tenderness in your eyes when you see children's smile. Fundamentally, we love what we do: helping you go through an off-beat experience that could potentially change your life.

Find your second home in China!

Program fee: 0 $

• Experience authentic Chinese culture through living with a host family!
  • Flight stipend up to 1800 USD
  • Mandarin course paid by your host family
  • Monthly culture activities
  • Scholarship up to 1300 USD for TEFL certified participants!

Surprise Host Family – Are you ready for your once in a lifetime experience in China?!

This summer, Wanderlust Exchange is launching a new type of Au Pair experience for recent graduates who are adventurous and looking for an off the beaten path experience! The “Surprise Host Family Program” will select three audacious Au Pair applicants who would like to spend 8-12 weeks in China working as an Au Pair in an undisclosed city until just before they depart!

Your round trip flights will be covered!

Hello Joanna, Thank you for your question and interest in Wanderlust Au Pair China Program. I would like to answer your questions in three aspects: how au pairs can get ready for their trip to China; what support they will have from Wanderlust; what's to be expected of your daily life with the host family. In regards to how au pairs can get themselves prepared for the trip to China, here are some...

Bohdana

My year in Ningbo

I always wanted to travel to China and see the culture from inside so this program was like a golden ticket to me. Of course I felt a little bit uneasy moving 7000 km away but the agency did its best to make me feel comfortable and safe which was a big help for my mental state as I faced many difficulties on the way to my host family. I can’t find the right words to describe this year. It felt like one day and eternity at the same time. I fall in love with this culture, nature, cuisine (of course) and people, especially my host sister. It’s not that I was sceptical about developing true feelings for my host kid but I was uncertain whether we would become family-like close. But we became vital parts of each others lives. This baby stole my heart. I watched her growing up and learning more about this world and there’s just something so special about knowing that I played a big role in this process and did make my impact on her life. Needless to say it wasn’t all butterflies and unicorns being an AuPair but I would have never changed a thing about this experience. It helped me to grow a lot and changed the way I saw many things in this life. Also, my hosts family introduced me to plenty of really beautiful and fascinating things here. We’ve made a lot of memories and I’ll be thankful to them and Wanderlust for this forever.

Ria

Being an Au Pair in Shanghai

Being an Au Pair was one of the best experiences I have made.
I was in rematch, when my German AuPair agency recommended Wanderlust Exchange as one of their partners to me. with the help of Wanderlust I found an amazing host family in less than two weeks.

My host family was just great, they helped me to learn a lot about Chinese culture. Together with my host child I practiced calligraphy from time to time, but of course her writing was always much better than mine. We also made dumplings with her grandma, visited the museum and played games. Sometimes we went to the cinema and she would summarize the movie afterwards for me, just to make sure that I understood.
When she had evening classes, my host mom and I sometimes went out to have a look at the area around or to drink some tea.

I did not experience any problems with my host family, but I know, that if there would have been any, Wanderlust would have helped me. They really care about their Au Pairs and occasionally asked, how we were doing and if everything was alright, which I really appreciated.

It's been two years already since I finished the Au Pair Program and I am thankful to Wanderlust Exchange and to my host family for making my stay in Shanghai something I'll never forget. I hope to travel back to China one day again. (^_^)

Liam

Au Pairing in Shanghai China.

I joined the Wanderlust Au Pair China program in 2018, my first year out of high school. This was definitely a big change in my life. The next 6 months were by far the most adventurous I had ever had. I got to learn a new culture the best way possible, by living with a family. It was difficult to adjust to my new life at first, but with the great support given by this program in was not impossible. I look back at those 6 months and do nothing but a smile. They really were some best days of my life.

Have an open mind and remember that every day that passes you'll never get back. I wish I appreciated this program more while I was doing it.
Soraya Shirin

Au Pair

I am living in China as an Au Pair since last June. First I have been in a family in Suzhou until December. Then I changed to a family in Shanghai where I am currently living. The Au Pair Team helped me with everything. When I changed the families they helped me with every step. In December I went to South Korea to renew my visa and I could text the Au Pair helper all the time and they really helped me a lot at that time. If I have problems they will always help me very fast. You can text them all the time and they will respond really fast.

The monthly cultural activities are also very nice and you can always meet new friends and learn a lot.

Another thing that I really like about the team is that they always ask me if everything is fine or if I have any problems. They really care about how we are doing and if everything is okay!

Wanderlust Exchange is a very good opportunity to see the real China and learn a lot of things about the country and history. But it’s not only that. You will also meet new friends from all around the world. The Hostfamily will be like your second family forever and you can always come back to visit them.

I would always choose wanderlust Exchange again. I never had problems with the agency and they really helped me a lot! It was always my dream to come to China and learn a lot about the country and live here for a few months. Wanderlust Exchange made my dream come true.

I would not improve anything! The program and all the workers are just amazing. They should just keep doing what they are doing and don’t change!
Katrien

Best Au Pair Program!

I stayed in Chengdu for 6 months this year, it turned into the best 6 months of my life and I fell in love with China! Everyone who I talked to from the agency was beyond helpful every step of the way and I really feel like they cared about me, I never had problems with my host family but if I did I know they would have been extremely helpful. I was really scared going to China by myself at 18 but it is now my favorite place in the world (specifically Chengdu). I was mostly scared about the language barrier since I only spoke basic Mandarin but everyone I met was so nice and helpful.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was probably hot pot and all of the strange things that go inside of it! It was kind of overwhelming at first because there was so much food but it quickly became my favorite thing to eat there!
Jasmin

Au Pair in Nanjing

I had a really great time in Nanjing! I was matched with a great family and even though I was the only Au Pair of Wanderlust in Nanjing I was still able to make great friends and explore that beautiful city, even travel to other surrounding cities!
China is so beautiful and the people are super nice, I definitely recommend going there!
And especially if you're going there with Wanderlust!
The service was great, I was able to contact them any time and they always replied too (even past midnight haha). The staff are very nice and are also very understanding. With some of them you can even talk to like a friend (so it's not just business). They weren't even mad at me when I had to leave early.
The only downside were the Chinese Classes. Since I wasn't in Shanghai I only had online lessons which were over after 3 out of 6 months Also I barely learnt any Chinese from it, but that's the school's fault not the agency's!
Definitely a great experience, would recommend to anyone.
So sad I had to leave early and I really miss China.
I hope to come back soon!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I didn't eat it (I just couldn't bring myself to do it) but I saw people eating duck heads and even my friends from Europe told me it's delicious so I can definitely recommend it if you can bring yourself to eat something that is staring at you.
(Also vegetables are so much more tasty in China. Eat them.)
Chanri

The best Au Pair agency

I really enjoyed my stay in China. I was placed with a wonderful family and we did a lot of things together. I would definitely come back again and work through Wanderlust Au Pair agency. I had the best time in China and I got a lot of opportunities as well. Wanderlust Au pair supported me throughout my stay in China. My host mom could speak very good English. We lived in a small city few hours away from Beijing. It was a great experience. We went to visit Shanghai and a lot of other cities in China.

Sophie

A Gap year in Shanghai

Ever since my student exchange to Shanghai I've wanted to revisit the city and this program has made this dream possible.
I've stayed in Shanghai with my host family for roughly seven months so far and I'll stay another five. I'm glad everything worked out so well and that the staff is so welcoming. Whenever I needed help (for example when I had my Visa renewal in South Korea) they were very helpful and the monthly activities they organize are fun and help you connect with other AuPairs.
I originally signed up with a different AuPair Agency, however, seeing as I wanted to go to Shanghai they recommended me this one as a trusted partner program. They were very nice in the original interview and were able to connect me with two host families in roughly one to two weeks.
After choosing my family they helped me with the Visa application and registration at the Manadrin school, which was a great relief.
During my stay they ususally came back to "problems" in a day or less,t hough I myself didn't really experience any problems. I have herad from other AuPairs though that they were rather helpful.
My work is fun too and get along with my host family. The Mandarin school is excellent too and I personally didn't experience any problems with the program.
10/10 would do again.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would probably choose Beijing instead of SHanghai, simply because I'd love to see more of China and while I have holidays, I'm waaaay too bad at organizing trips.