Oregon to India: A Gap Year Semester to Discover the World & Yourself

Sunset after Kuari Pass
Coming down from Kuari Pass
Coming down from Kuari Pass
Outward Bound Oregon to India Semester

This 45-day expedition takes you from Oregon to India. The expedition starts on the Deschutes River in Oregon, where you’ll build a strong group dynamic and learn the rafting skills you’ll need for an international river expedition. Next, head into the mountains of Oregon as you trek through diverse mountain and volcanic landscapes. Then, head straight to India! Trek the Kuari Pass, where you’ll immerse yourself in local mountain culture and take in Himalaya views. Then, head to the Alaknanda River, where you'll float to its confluence with the Bhagirathi River, and then raft the Ganga River. The course ends in New Delhi. From here, you can opt to stay in India and travel on your own, or head home.

• Learn the rafting skills you need for an international river expedition
  • Explore diverse mountain habitats among the volcanoes of the Central Cascade mountain range
  • Immerse yourself in local mountain culture in India and never forget the Himalaya views
  • The course ends in New Delhi, India, giving you the opportunity to extend your time in India and travel on your own.
  • Learn and practice interpersonal skills such as problem solving, group facilitation, leadership and service.

William

Outward Bound: Oregon to India | Rafting & Trekking |

Rafting nearly 100 miles on the Deschutes river, North into the confluence with the Columbia is where our adventure began! Although Mother Nature decided to challenge us as we headed into Three Sisters Wilderness, the skills & camaraderie we gained from the Instructors fully prepared us for what was to come next. While making our way through the backcountry of Oregon we received the opportunity to see who we truly were, while being tested by the conditions that were thrown our way. Some days were more difficult than others, but you could always rely on a teammate to assist every step of the way.
I have been on countless backpacking adventures through Western North Carolina as well as throughout Colorado, many which have been breathtaking. Never did I believe I would see a beauty as pure & raw as the Himalayan mountain range. Outward Bound gave me the chance to travel abroad and leave the States for the first time in my life! I would've never even thought to travel to India on my own & Outward Bound aided in giving me to confidence to become a more worldly individual.
We met as a group of strangers on day 1 in Redmond Oregon, and before we knew it we were an unstoppable team atop the Kuari Pass in India, above 12,000 ft. in elevation. The memories we created on this course will be with me for the rest of my life, as well as the great people who were involved.
I have continued to use the technical skills needed for this course in my everyday life & even passed them on to others. Now it has almost been a year since I left for this 45 day excursion and not a day goes by where I don't think about the beautiful ride this course took me on. Learning to be mindful and using my own ability to remain present has truly impacted my life in a way I could not have imagined & I owe it all to Outward Bound.

The only area I could critique this course would be applying more advanced, technical skills that could further develop my future outdoor adventures!