Community, conservation and adventure projects in Malaysian Borneo with Raleigh International

Fall Expeditions are now open!
There are lots of exciting programmes lined up for this Fall. You could be trekking through the jungle of Borneo, supplying a rural village in Tanzania with clean water and much more besides! Sign up now and reserve your space before they fill up!

Would you like the chance to live in the Malaysian cloudforest? On a Raleigh expedition, you'll travel to remote, untouched parts of the world. More importantly, your work will be essential in preserving those environments. You'll live alongside indigenous communities, trek through magical landscapes, and work with experts to preserve the rainforest.

Raleigh expeditions are unique because they are so varied, so supportive and so worthwhile. You can choose a 5, 7, or 10-week programme, which will include up to three different projects:

- Helping to preserve one of the world's most beautiful and most vulnerable areas

- Working with indigenous communities to help tackle poverty

- Trekking through unspoiled rainforest

Once you're part of the Raleigh team, we'll support you every step of the way. With over 30 years' experience working with young people and a true dedication to helping communities to develop, we can guarantee that your programme will be worthwhile.

• personal development
Fundraising targets

10 week expedition $5000
7 week expedition $4500
5 week expedition $3600

As we're a charity we talk about fundraising rather than costs. This means you can raise the money for your expedition through donations from family, friends and supporters. Fundraising can come in all kinds of forms, from running a cake sale to doing a sponsored run or setting up a JustGiving page. We recognise that fundraising might be new to you. It is more popular in some countries than others. At Raleigh International we will support you with fundraising wherever you are based.

Alastair
United Kingdom
University of Oxford

Personal development and charity work

Fantastic experience meeting new people from all over the world, especially the locals, and learning about their cultures. Made loads of new friends and learned a lot about myself - it is important to note that Raleigh's main goal is youth development. The work you do in the host countries is obviously of huge benefit but there is always a big focus of personal development (leadership, teamwork etc). I wasnt aware of this before I went, but it was really useful and absolutely doesn't stop you having a great time! Some of the best 3 months of my life!

Dan

Raleigh Internatal Borneo

Awesome time was spent working on wash (water and sanitation), youth development and environment projects for a renowned company in a wonderful location. There is a big emphasis on teamwork and youth development and the support provided by the Raleigh fieldbase staff was great. It was such a good opportunity to spend an extended period of time in an incredibly diverse environment and play a part in making a lasting change to the projects and communities.

Better development feedback for volunteer managers.

Steve
University of Miami

Amazing Adventure

I was fortunate enough to be able to volunteer in Malaysia Borneo as Raleigh International's staff photographer. It was such an exciting adventure I couldn't be happier for going. You get to work on sustainable development in the rainforest, a place most of the world will never get the opportunity to experience. You get to live in the jungle, learn about yourself, make differences in communities, and make life long friends with people from all over the world.

Working with communities, not for them, is such an amazing experience. You learn about a culture you wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to learn about. The communities accept you into their homes and make you a part of their families. You learn about sustainable development and change your life for the better as you're helping to better the lives of others.

Raleigh teaches you what you are capable of accomplishing and you come out a stronger, more confident individual who will go on to greater things. I would encourage everyone to participate in a Raleigh program.

Alis
Llanfrothen

A very special place in my heart...

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend 3 months in Malaysian Borneo with Raleigh earlier this year. It was possibly the most rewarding and renewing experience of my life. I was able to help people who have so little and my group made a huge impact on their lives. We worked with conservationists and learnt about the environmental issues this incredible country is facing. I made so many friends and many many memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I also learnt a lot about myself at a time when I really needed to.
The fundraising you have to complete to go on a Raleigh expedition is daunting and might seem a ridiculous amount of money (I certainly felt so)
However, I could never put a price on the incredible experience I had, the wonderful people I met and connected with and the positive change I helped create.
Borneo and its people and the memories we created will forever have a very special place in my heart.

With better quality, fresh, healthy food!!!

Tom
London, England
Open University

Raleigh Expedition in Borneo

It's difficult for me to put into words how much I value my Raleigh Borneo experience. I didn’t only learn about myself, and what I was truly capable of achieving, but also about sustainable development which has inspired the career I have chosen to pursue - I now study an International studies degree. Raleigh Internationals 10 week expedition consists of three different phases - community, adventure and environmental. For my community phase, I worked in a small, rural town called Terian - along with 10 other volunteers, and two project managers - working on a kindergarten project. In Borneo, children need to have a basic level of maths and English in order to enrol in primary school at the age of four; therefore providing pre-school education is essential. When we arrived at Terian, we could instantly see how much our presence was appreciated. We were greeted with cultural song and dance, and we were invited to a community dinner on the first evening of our arrival - this shows how hospitable the people of Sabah, Borneo are. The work was challenging, and we worked hard, but that is what the Raleigh experience is all about - putting yourself out of your comfort zone, and proving to yourself what you are fully capable of achieving. When you see the children your helping, day in, day out, nothing motivates you more to do all that you can for them. Knowing that I was a part of a team who provided a kindergarten to the small, rural town of Terian, which will provide pre-school education for future generations, is something I will cherish forever. And this was only one of three phases of my Raleigh Borneo expedition.

I got everythhing, and so much more, out of my Raleigh experiance in Bonreo. This experiance has changed my career path, and my outlook on life. I couldn't recommend Raleigh International enough.

At Raleigh International, we empower young people and communities to drive lasting positive change. We are committed to building a future that's sustainable, and we believe that the best way to achieve this is to harness the power and energy of youth.

We have over