Cultural Immersion 3 Month Gap Year in Mexico

The Live Different Academy takes your passion to learn, serve, and grow and puts them all together into a 13 week experience that will challenge and shape you like nothing else. During your time in Mexico you will be fully immersed in beautiful Mexican culture, you’ll learn about the lives of others and even more about yourself in the process. Surrounded by like-minded people, you’ll be challenged and supported as you grow and take part in new experiences while caring for others. And when you leave, you and the lives of local families and communities will never be the same.

• Volunteer with Various Local Charities
  • Study a Social Justice Curriculum & Be Mentored by our Staff
  • Participate in a House Build
  • Study Spanish and Spend Time with Host Families
  • Explore Volcanoes, Mountains, Beaches and the Desert of Baja California, Mexico.

Danica

LDA Academy

In my experience completing the Live Different Academy was one of the best things I could have done at that point in my life. In my grade 12 year I knew exactly what school and program I wanted to do in University but something inside me told me I was meant to be doing something else. I had previously volunteered on Live Different builds and I had formed a strong connection with this organization, so I decided to go for it. I found that I got so much more out of the academy experience than I ever could have imagined. I gained experience volunteering abroad in old age homes, a women's shelter, an after school program, and I had the opportunity to teach English twice a week. Beyond this I was able to learn so much about myself through living in a different country in a new culture. I found that Live Different did an amazing job facilitating this experience through their strong communication skills prior to the academy and the level of safety that Live Different provided ensured that we all felt safe and comfortable throughout the experience. I also found that the Live Different staff throughout my experience did an exceptional job explaining the things we were doing, why we were doing them, and how what we do impacts other people. The biggest thing this experience taught me is that life is more important than the things you own, it is about who you are and the people you surround yourself with. My biggest take away is that there's always an opportunity to be kind to others, and do what you can to help those around you.

Chelsey

My LDA experience

The Live Different Academy program initially appealed to me as I wanted to travel, but have purpose and value along with it. I wanted to be surrounded by culture, rather than blinded by tourist influencers. Live Different gave me this and more! I could have never imagined how much I would grow personally and mentally through this experience. It was so much more than I expected. I could go on and on about my experience, but the most valuable offering LD gives to each student is the opportunity to not only be immersed in the culture, but the ability to develop meaningful relationships with everyone you encounter. Live Different is established enough to introduce students to local families, where you can spend time building a relationship with a family, inside their own home- an experience hard to come by without an organization like this. If personal development, broad education, and an experience of a life time interests you, the Live Different Academy program is for you! I attended the LDA, while I was 22 and thought I mostly "had myself figured out". In the year prior, I had graduated college, moved cities, lived in my own apartment, and worked my dream career. When I became interested in the LDA program, I gave it all up. LD was able to show me that I was capable of growing more and more and I can confidently say it was worth it!

My experience with Live Different was incredible and there is nothing I would change. Live Different works hard to continually improve from year to year based off of alumni experiences and opinions.

About Live Different

Live Different is a Canadian charity that exists to engage and empower youth toward a lifestyle of compassion and service. Through our high school motivational presentations in Canada and our humanitarian volunteer opportunities in The Dominican...