Wildlife, Reserve Conservation, & Adventure in Namibia

Our Tanzania program now includes Zanzibar Island...

We are really chuffed to announce that after some negotiation we are now helping a start up school on the Island of Zanzibar, just off Tanzania. Incredible setting, incredible project who needs enthusiastic volunteers. Who's in?

For a conservation experience you can't beat this pioneering opportunity to help leading conservationists turn Oana conservancy, previously run as a hunting ranch, back into a thriving eco-system. The ultimate goal being to turn this chunk of Africa into a new National Park, where they can protect Africa’s endangered wildlife.

Projects include:
Wildlife identification and tracking with local tribesmen.
Leopard tagging with radio collars.
Building an animal rehabilitation centre.
Creating wildlife friendly bore holes.
Helping the local community build a village crèche and assisting with the school sport and art sessions.

Adventure:
Mountain biking, river rafting, fishing.
Fly camping under the stars.

Safari Living:
You'll live in a safari style, semi-luxury canvas tented camp, on one of the plains surrounded by volcanic mountains. Think homely, boho, bedouin vibe. Heaven.

Sascha

Unforgettable Experience

These 4 weeks in the Namibian desert were definitely an unforgettable experience. We all learnt so much about not only wildlife conservation, but also the essential camping skills and how liberating life is without wifi! The base-camp was very comfortable, clean, and homely with Red and Dre's amazing hospitality and care. I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone of any age. I have no doubt that the landscape and tranquility cannot be found anywhere else.

Jack

Fabuulous darling

A great unique experience, where you get to be immersed in the wilderness without the stress and distractions of the modern world. Many amazing adventures from a 3-day hike to downhill mountain biking and whitewater rafting. It's also a great taster of what it is like to be in conservation and rewilding. All in all, great fun with two awesome hosts Red and Dre and I would really recommend it to anyone looking for a unique and memorable experience on their gap year or summer.

Brod

Oana Flora and Fauna 2018

A fantastic trip. The month I spent there went by in a flash. The rafting in the last week was a definite highlight, additionally, the cutting down of invasive tree species and the insect surveys were some of my favourite activities. From the first day Red and Andrea made us feel completely welcome in camp and throughout the trip, their knowledge, and passion for the project was inspiring. Overall, a extremely worthwhile trip that I would definitely reccomend.

Freya

Namibia 2018

I miss waking up at camp every morning surrounded by an incredibly special group of people, knowing that each day would start with a new adventure and end watching the insane Namibian sunset. Red and Dre are two of the most inspiring people and I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity to learn so much from them, and help in a range of ways with their conservation work. It is strange how quickly you adjust to bush life and nothing will compare once you leave. I cannot wait to visit Kum Kum in the future and see how much has changed. Thank you for the best month of my life and for all the memories I will cherish forever!

Millie

Oana do it all again.

Such an incredible month. Would 100% do it all again. It really was an experience that I will never forget and this was all down to Andrea and Red. They made the trip so enjoyable and everything we did was sure to make an impact on the conservancy, which was such a nice thing to see and feel. Base camp was a super cool place to stay for the month and certainly wasn't like anywhere I had stayed before. Unreal. Thank you so much to both of you and I wish you all the best xx

Ivo

Oana 2018

I had the most incredible time in Namibia even though it flew by. We achieved so much in a short month. The conservation activities were fun and fascinating to be a part of. A particular favourite of mine was invasive tree demolition and obviously white water rafting. Having limited WiFi made it much easier to click with other people and I’ve made some great friends. Red and Andrea are truly inspiring people and I wish them the best of luck and hope to visit soon to see the progress.

Imy

A must do gap year adventure

Going to Namibia with The Leap was one of the best experiences of my life. The conservation work intwertwined with the adventure activities such as white water rafting and mountain biking made it a fulfilling and fun trip. Red and Andrea were fantastic hosts and despite being in such a vast area away from home made us feel like we were part of a family. The facilities were brilliant considering we were in such a remote area and we were well catered for with 3 amazing meals a day. I would definitely come back if I had the chance again.

Fred

Namibs 2017

So glad that I chose this prodject it was the most fun that I had on my gap year ( so good that I went back for more). Hopefully will get a chance to come and visit again. The wildlife was amazing to see even though it took a bit of searching. I really liked the relaxed and fun attitude the guys in charge had, definatly made the experience better. Camp was nice and was accompanied with great views and even better night time skys

About The Leap

The Leap has been leading the field in overseas volunteering and career enhancing internships since 2002, providing award winning programs across Africa, Asia and South America. They are the first UK company to be accredited by the Gap Year...