View Other Details
Spring 2024 (45 days): $15,900
Program tuition includes all planned meals, accommodations, scheduled program activities, internal program transport, and international medical+evacuation insurance for the duration of the program. International airfare (est. $1,000-$1,500) and spending money (est. $300) are extra.
While relatively small, these nations have had a profound impact on the modern world. Shaped by their relationship to the water, the United Kingdom and the Netherlands are seafaring regions who have exported their ways of life through development around the world. On this Carpe Diem journey, we'll explore how these traditional nations now strive to be inclusive to the multicultural communities who call these regions home.
The UK and the Netherlands provide a rich tapestry and landscape to explore history, the impacts of colonialism, climate change and many other challenges facing our societies today through a solutions based focus. Engage with communities proactively seeking holistic and sustainable solutions to some of the world's greatest challenges.
From the renowned and bustling cities of London, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Amsterdam to the countryside - this program takes you off the beaten path and connects you to meaningful exchange in the UK & the Netherlands.
- London Calling! Spend a week in this fast-paced multicultural city. Planned activities will embed you into various neighborhoods to explore challenging topics such as multiculturalism, refugees, sustainability and human rights.
- Trek in Mystical Scotland. Spend an evening in Edinburgh before embarking on a short two-night trek in legendary Scotland.
- In Scotland, head to the famous Ecovillage of Findhorn to experience life in an intentional community and learn how they have successfully integrated water systems, renewable energy, organic farming, and natural building into their daily life.
- Student Directed Travel. Leverage the travel experience you’ve gained over the first month (and the advice of your Overseas Educators) during Carpe Diem's signature "student travel week."
- Spend some time in the Dutch countryside, famed for its windmills and cows, as you experience sustainable living in a Dutch Ecovillage. From growing your own food to natural building, see how the Dutch view community life and holistic solutions.
Carpe Diem Education Scholarships
Carpe Diem Education awards $30,000 annually to support diversity and inclusion in its programs. The Access Scholarship provides up to $5,000 for a gap year semester or full-year experience. The Inclusion Scholarship offers up to $2,000 for a gap year semester. The Carpe Mundi Scholarship is for Portland-based students. Grants are mostly need-based, and applications open in January.