AFS - High School Gap Year Program in Norway

Year and Gap: Spend a year in Norway living with a host family and attending a local school. By the end, you will likely never want to come home. The people of Norway are some of Europe's most progressive and peaceful. With high academic standards across the country, you can find yourself engrossed in school during the day and having unforgettable conversations around the dinner table at night. Food in Norway is rich in meat, fish, potatoes, vegetables, milk and cheese, and there are sweets in wide varieties. A common meal is meatballs, potatoes, brown gravy and vegetables. Open-faced sandwiches are also popular, and fish is part of the everyday diet. You will likely be enrolled in the second year of Norwegian Upper Secondary schools for students in grades 11-13. These schools offer several areas of study, and you will probably be placed in the general studies line.

Luke

AFS Norway - The greatest life in my year.

This program was fantastic. I loved living in Norway, and my host family was great. I was placed in a host family that loved to be outdoors (which was great for me because I am a really outdoorsy person). We would go hiking, fishing, and camping up in the mountains all year round. Not all host families are the same, and AFS tries to match everyone with a host family that is suitable for them.

The program could be improved if it helped students become more involved in the school and area students lived. I found activities that I really enjoyed through friends and family. It would be nice if the program knew about different activities, where to find them, and how to get involved with them.
James

Amazing country, people, and program!

There really are no words to describe the beauty of Norway and the kindness of the people there. This was an amazing experience and something that I would recommend to anyone thinking of going abroad. I was very fortunate to live with a welcoming and generous host family, but the Norwegian people in general are the nicest I've ever met. The year I was there happened to be one of the coldest and snowiest in a long time, so I had the chance to go on many "hyttetur", or basically cabin trips. Sledding, skiing (downhill and lots of cross country),and walking on frozen lakes are just a few things to do. Norwegians do like a party now and then, and will always test their English on you after a drink or two. There is no shortage of cold/snow, so if you like that you'll love Norway in the winter. Summertime has nice weather as well, with beautiful seasonal changes and lots of water activities. My host family had a cabin on an island where you could only travel to by boat it was very serene, pristine land with appreciative people who like to enjoy all that the country has to offer. This is a must visit country for anyone who likes snow, mountains, oceans, islands, fish, potatoes, hotdogs, waffles, sweets, kind people or really just for anyone. You won't regret it I promise!

This program was perfect... If I had to change one thing it would be to stay longer.
Beryl

Gap Year in Norway

My gap year abroad in Norway was a fantastic and life-changing experience.

I found family, learned about camping, skiing, and became a competent Norwegian speaker and writer.

The AFS experience is amazing because of the international friends and family you get. I was able to form close bonds with people from all over the world!

Sometimes the orientations were rushed, and communication wasn't always speedy (though most of the time it was).

About AFS-USA

AFS-USA (formerly the American Field Service), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a leader in intercultural learning and offers international exchange programs in more than 40 countries around the world through independent, nonprofit AFS...