Social Innovators Program (UPenn CSIS / Schoolyard Ventures)

The Social Innovators Program is a thirteen week virtual program designed to help students learn about entrepreneurship and experience it first-hand while earning a Certificate in Social Entrepreneurship from the University of Pennsylvania. During the program, students learn how to launch ventures of their own that create value and a positive impact on society. The program features a 3:1 student instructor ratio, small class sizes (6 or fewer students) and one-on-one mentoring.

• University of Pennsylvania Certificate Program
  • Social Entrepreneurship
  • Small Class Sizes (6 or fewer students)
  • One-on-one Mentoring

Brennan

Great support for aspiring entrepreneurs

Schoolyard Ventures and the Social Innovators Program helped me to find my path during my gap year. I had always known that I was interested in entrepreneurship and I had worked on a few projects during high school, but I didn't know where to start. Schoolyard Ventures gave me a framework to identify and solve problems and the individualized attention from their staff of experienced entrepreneurs helped me to launch my own nonprofit, Y Innovations. Over the course of the program, I was able to raise over $50,000 dollars, hire subcontractors, and build Delaware's first ever net zero energy, straw bale home.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising moment for me was when we completed the construction of our first home. More information here: https://www.wdel.com/news/video-local-students-build-st-affordable-eco-friendly-straw-bale/article_766045ea-37bd-11e9-8b88-ffa280b0332a.html.