By Where There Be Dragons   Reviews (1)   100% Rating

West Africa Semester: The Many Stories of Africa

By Where There Be Dragons   Reviews (1)   100% Rating

The Nigerian writer Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie writes: “Stories matter. Many stories matter. Stories have been used to dispossess and to malign. But stories can also be used to empower, and to humanize.” On the West Africa Semester, students are witness to all of Senegal's stories, ranging from the stories of migrant workers that have gone to and returned from Europe to the nationwide storylines of health, unemployment, gender, human rights, and education. Throughout the three months that students spend learning from profound experience, brilliant mentors and newfound friends and family, they are encouraged to leave their pre-conceived identities and stereotypes of “Africa” at home, opening their hearts to the many stories that constitute modern-day Senegal.

We offer comprehensive, personal home visits so that we can answer your questions in person. One of our expert staff members will present on our program options and share stories from their own formative Where There Be Dragons program. To request a home visit in less than 2 minutes, fill out this form.

Africa › Senegal › Dakar
Tented Camp
Guesthouse
Age Max
Cost
West Africa Semester: The Many Stories of Africa's land cost is $12,535 for three months. Flight costs for this program are estimated at $2,310. Need-based scholarships are available.
Thies, Kedougou, Kolda, Dakar, St. Louis
10000.00
West Africa Semester: The Many Stories of Africa

Rating Values

Stephen
Washington, DC

WTBD team Senegal!

Overall 10

When I was a senior in HS, I decided I needed to take time off from school. I decided to go to Senegal with WTBD for a semester and It completely changed my life and how I see the world. From homestays in large cities to trekking in the forests of southern Senegal to living in a rural village, this program covers everything you could possibly want from a gap semester program and more! I've learned how to respect others and their culture and how to be a successful global citizen. If you want to broaden your horizons, make new friends, push yourself to leave your comfort zone and learn about the world at the same time, do this program!

During the trek, we were instructed to pack too many things in our bags which consequently made them very heavy and hard to hike with. Granted, our trek was shortened due to sickness so we had excess material.

Dragons programs are authentic, rugged and profound learning adventures that expose the beautiful and complex realities of the countries in which we travel. Featuring extended itineraries, Dragons programs encourage deep immersion into strikingly different physical and cultural landscapes, combining the best in experiential education, travel, service learning, and physically and intellectually challenging experiences.

Staff Interviews