By GapForce   Reviews (11)   93% Rating

South Africa Adventure and Wildlife Volunteer with Gapforce

By GapForce   Reviews (11)   93% Rating

Combine wildlife and community volunteering with culture and adventure in the Rainbow nation, South Africa! Your adventure starts with an action-packed week introducing you to the customs and culture of South Africa. Next you volunteer with the Big 5 on a Wildlife conservation project before heading along South Africa’s infamous Garden Route to Cape Town! End your journey volunteering at our unique community volunteering project helping disadvantaged children.

Africa » South Africa » Port Elizabeth
Africa » South Africa
Program Tags
Adventure Travel
Guesthouse
Primary Language
5000.00
Cost Description
Briefing, airport transfers, Program co-ordinator, local project staff, tour Leader, accommodation, meals, FGSA course, project equipment and training, project transfers, 24/7 Emergency back-up, social activities, T-shirt

Rating Values

Dante
5 months hence
England

Great Trip

I had a great time on this trip. The itinerary is great giving us a very full experience of South Africa which is a very beautiful country. The two leaders I had, Sean and Rich, were great, they were always up for a good time with us while being helpful and organised, making the trip a lot better.
Most days were filled with fun activities and I now have a lot of memories to look back on. However, we were never obligated to do every activity and we had days to relax also, making it a very balanced trip.
Would definitely recommend!

More activities included in the budget

Samuel
England

Good time? Gap Force

Probably one of the best experiences of my life, did the garden route from Cape Town.
Every part of the way was meticulously planned out, allowing maximum fun and no stress.
Not once did I feel unsafe, the leaders we had, Rich and Sean were both amazing and kind.
I would highly recommend this to anyone else thinking of travelling South Africa.
SafeTravels!

Xavier
Houston
Texas A&M University

Great fun with Gapforce

I had a great time in South Africa with Gapforce. Both of my leaders, Sean and Rich, were well prepared, responsible, and overall very fun to be around while maintaining a professional attitude in regards to their responsibilities. Their efforts, along with the fun and exciting nature of the trip itself, resulted in an experience that went above and beyond my expectations. I would recommend Gapforce, specifically this South Africa trip, to any prospective traveler and would hope that they get group leaders like the ones I was fortunate to be with.

A great trip of great value organized fantastically. 9/10

Nathan
Durban, South Africa

South Africa Adventure

The trip was amazing and one that I will never forget.

Throughout the trip you get to see so many amazing sites such as Table Mountain and semonkong in Lesotho, as well as learning about the history and culture of these amazing country's. Throughout the trip everyone we met so so kind and welcoming it really made the trip something special.

For me the highlights of the trip was volunteering at St Luigi's in Outshoorn and at Shamwari game reserve.

Spending more time in Outshoorn as well as Lesotho would be incredible.

Kylie
Kenilworth

Kylie Cunninghams South Africa review

My group of four decided to hike up Table Mountain one day. It's an amazing mountain with a flat top and an even more amazing view once you're at the top. I love new adventures but I'm really not one for long hikes. Half way up I decided I was done because I felt so tired and two of the guys had gone ahead and we're almost at the top but the support and friendship of our group leader was unbelievable. Barney hikes all the time and could have done this trek in half an hour but he happily stayed back with me and walked slowly up. I have nothing but good things to say about GapForce and I can't wait for my next adventure with you guys. .

Allison
Boulder, Colorado

Life Changing Experience

One part of the trip that really made an impact on me was spending time in Outshoorn working at St. Luigi's center with the kids from the township. It was a life changing experience spending time with those kids. Even though some of them didn't understand english it didn't make much of a difference, all they wanted from us was attention and a little bit of love. It's hard to comprehend what they go through and the point of us being there is to give them a little bit of a break from whatever their situation may be, and to allow them to have some fun with us. I had so much fun chasing the kids around, getting my hair braided, listening to them sing, and just being in the company of some really amazing kids was definitely a highlight for me on my trip.

More time is definitely needed in Outshoorn at the St. Luigi center. With that said I believe the whole trip should be extended by a few weeks to allow everything to be included because it was all amazing, I just wish I had more time at some of our stops.

Katherine
Montreal, Canada
McGill University

Loved it from A to Z

This trip was a very well balanced combination of volunteering, camping and exploring South Africa. It was absolutely amazing, we saw tropical forests, savannahs and beautiful deserts, we got to interact with lion cubs and meet amazing people along the way.
Our leader Leo was everything and more than we could have asked for. He gave us support, made us feel safe and pushed us out of our comfort zone when we needed it.

We had very little pre-departure information, which made this trip extremely difficult to budget for. We did not even get an itinerary before the trip.

Catherine
Surrey, UK

Trip of a Lifetime

This trip was something I will never forget; each aspect offered something different, from volunteer work, leisure and camping.

My personal highlights included camping under the stars at Spitzkoppe and bush camping in Chobe National Park as well as many of the activities during our time in Kwantu Game Reserve.

Our leader, Leo, was what every leader should be; relaxed, authoritative yet understanding. I always felt safe, but never forced to do activities I didn't want to or like I was a child on a school trip.

As amazing as the trip was there were a few difficulties, not with the trip itself however. Gapforce did not inform us that we would be travelling with another company, ATC, before our departure. This meant that we did not have their itinerary so could not budget effectively, this meant the trip came out far more expensive. This however did not change how amazing the trip was for me personally.

I would love to have had far more pre-departure information and support.

Daniel
Zambia

Africa

This program allowed us as gapforce students to experience all aspects of Southern Africa. We touched on nature, history, and culture. It was the right amount of time in each place for a brief understanding of the region.

Not enough information was given on optional excursions as well as ATC.

alice
Bedford, United Kingdom

excellent trip

Volunteering at kwantu for the first month was a worthwhile experience. There are a lot of young people from all over the world who i got to socialise with. The work was never tedious since the game rangers gave us different tasks to do during the day, like cutting down trees or attempting a game capture. I enjoyed visiting Port Elizabeth during the weekends, and especially the bungee jump which was a memorable day out.

When travelling on the garden route I particularly loved oudtshoorn and the amount it offers. The 56k cycle ride was a particular highlight.
Travelling up to vic falls was very full on with early mornings and long drives but the scenery and activities each place had to offer en route was worth all the travelling.

Our group leader was very helpful, friendly and accommodating and it was reassuring to travel with someone who is always willing to help us out whenever needed.

i felt there was a lack of communication regarding trip information prior to the departure. Therefore I found it difficult to budget my trip effectively as a result that could have easily been avoided.

Alice
London

Africa

Highlights included: thé garden route, especially oudshtoorn. The accomodation was mostly always nice and Léo our leader was always friendly, informative and réassuring.
However, communication bêtween staff In office and leader could hâve been better and We Were not properly informed on a lot of thé trip détails. This made budgeting à lot harder.

Gapforce is a leading provider of structured Gap Year programs and summer opportunities overseas. The wide range of global adventures includes marine conservation, wildlife protection, community volunteering & healthcare, extreme expeditions, leadership training, working holidays, internships, sport coaching, ski instructor and leadership training.

For over twenty years, Gapforce has been running safe, unique and rewarding programs to some of the world’s most exciting and exotic locations. Our overseas staff are some of the most experienced in the industry and look after you every step of the way. You have a choice of group start dates throughout the year – your adventure starts here!