South America Explorer with Gapforce

South America Explorer with Gapforce

An 8 week South American adventure combining Spanish lessons, a Trek to Machu Picchu, volunteering at our jungle animal sanctuary and a visit to the Galapagos!

Start your adventure with intensive Spanish lessons before embarking on a 4 day trek to the infamous Machu Pichu. Next spend a week travelling along the Northern Beaches of Peru before entering Ecuador and spending 2 weeks at our animal sanctuary for a volunteer opportunity you’ll never forget. From here you’ll travel deeper into the jungle and live with a remote Shuar community before returning to Quito to undertake a meaningful school project. Finish your epic journey with a visit to one of the most famous national parks on Earth, the Galapagos Islands.

Program Tags
Adventure Travel
Hands-On Learning
Language Immersion
Volunteer Abroad
Animal Viewing
Primary Language
UK Briefing Day, airport transfers, Program co-ordinator, local project staff, accommodation, meals, Spanish lessons, Equator museum, guided tour of Quito Old town, project equipment and materials, project transfers, 24/7 Emergency back-up, social activities, T-shirt

South America trip

The trip to South America was such an amazing experience and I'm so glad I decided to do it! The main attraction of the trip for me was the trek up to Machu Picchu which was absolutely breathtaking. But I throughly enjoyed every other part of the trip and each week was different which kept it exciting. The variety of activities we did such as helping out at an animal sanctuary, helping in a day care, spending a night in the rainforest and being in the town of Banos doing whitewater rafting, canyoning etc. were unforgettable experiences! The leaders, Colin and Jade, were fantastic, they did all they could to ensure we got the most out of our trip. They were especially good in organising changes to our itinerary, which happened more often than not, and did what was best for the group. I would recommend a program like this for those who want to travel but have concerns travelling by themselves or are travelling for the first time.

My only concerns were that there the money we were given for food was not always enough to cover food costs as the amount given was on a budget designed for cheap market meals. So if people wanting to do this trip want to make the most of the trip and eat at nice restaurants all the time they should be advised to take extra spending money so they can do so.

South America Explore Review

Before the trip began, there was a level of uncertainty and stress as a result of poor communication. I was slightly hesitant to go. Overall, however, the trip itself was something of a once in a lifetime experience that I would highly recommend to anyone. Accomodation and food was fine and filling. Always catering to my many dietary requirements. The leaders guiding us along the way were also exceptional.

Looking back at the trip, I can confidently say that I have more of a desire to travel to other countries and complete more expeditions. Furthermore, my time at Yanacocha (animal rescue center) made me more content with my choice to study Environmental Science at university.

I would suggest more group based activities within cities (such as Cusco, Mancora etc.). Although the freedom to roam around the city was enjoyable.

Communications between the trip leaders and coordinator seemed non-existent at times.Saying that, the leaders on the trip were outstanding.

It's always much harder to express how incredibly unforgettable a trip is, and yet that is the task I am faced with. Before I left, I was continuously told I was 'going to have the best time of my life' and consequently the flight was filled with a fear of potential disappoint. However instead of disappoint, I was met at the airport by my group leader Frank, who grew to be our hilarious, inspirational and genuinely caring 'uncle' figure. Time when you travel is a peculiar concept and looking back I don't know how the organisation managed to fit in so many amazing experiences to 7 weeks. Eating guinea pig, swimming in mountain lakes, paragliding, and even swimming with turtles seem to only touch the surface of the activities that were offered. My favourite part, however, remains the amazing people I met; hostel stayers, trekers, tribe members, every welcoming South American, and my loveable group (shoutout to Shay, Quinn, Kelly, Marv, Ellie, Val and our honorary mum Julie) will never be forgotten. In short, I LOVED IT. Thank you infinitely Frank and GapForce.

Great fun, with incredible people

Such a interesting and eye opening trip with an amazing group of people visiting such a beautiful part of the world. Highlights include the Salkantay Trek a physically challenging 4 day trek ending at Machu Pichu and the incredible Sacha Yachu wildlife sanctuary in Ecaudor run by Raul who's dedication to the animals was inspiring. I made some great friends and memories that will last forever. Would definitely recommend this trip for anyone looking to travel to that part of the world.

An Unforgettable Summer

Every town we went to was another eye opening experience. We grew so much independently and as a group with every new activity. From Trekking to one of the Wonders of the World, to surfing in Mancora, Peru; we were all growing happier and closer as a group. At first I was worried about being the only minor and being the only American in the group, but that worriedness went away very quickly. I could not reccomend this program enough. I have fallen in love with South America thanks to this program.

Less days in Lima, More days in Mancora.

South America Explore

Visiting South America has been such an amazing experience! I have met the most amazing people, both in my group, at the wonderful animal sanctuary and throughout the whole trip. I have experienced so much with these people and I am sure we will be friends for life!

I really enjoyed the first week, exploring Cuzco. We were lucky enough to experience the City in the month of Peru. There were parades, street dances and performances on all the time, which was so interesting to watch their culture and see the locals of all ages getting involved. We improved our Spanish, with the help from Ricardo, the best Spanish teacher ever! He tried so hard to make sure we had loads of fun and games while learning to make it the best possible experience.

The trekking week was very tough! I dont think many of us prepared for the struggles ahead, but with the support of an amazing group and some banging tunes, we made it to the top! It was so worth the struggle, the views were incredible!

I feel like the third week could have been organised a lot better! It was a lot of time travelling, which we expected, but when we arrived at the three different destinations there was nothing planned for us. 2 days in Lima was definately not needed as we werent really allowed to go and explore the city as it is suppose to be quite dangerous and not very touritsy. So stuck in a hostel for 2 days was not much fun, and I would have preffered to get straight on the next bus to Mancora to spend either an extra day there or in Cuenca. Maybe this is something that could be improved or changed on the trip.

The Jungle was a great week, helping out in the sanctuary. To have travelled with Raul through Peru and to arrive at the sanctuary that he built from scratch was amazing to see! He has been such a good leader and has helped us alot throughout our time here, it would not have been the same trip without him!

In terms of food money, I think the budget was way off. It was definately the bare minimum and we were constantly eating at cheap places so we didnt have to use our own money on food we thought would be provided. I would have liked to try some differnet traditional dishes but because of the expense of some of them, i didnt try them and stuck to the cheap budget.

Overall it has been a great trip and definately worth coming to South America to explore its wonderful scenery and culture!

Your Heart

So little space but come on this trip!

I made friends for life on this trip and got to see and experience things that you wouldn't normally by travelling solo. One of my favourite (or many) memories was swimming in the natural hot springs after our 2nd day of the trail to Machu Picchu followed by a bonfire and smores at the hostel!

It might not change your life but it will change your heart.

A better breakdown and explanation of costs that will likely be required (from transport to food to extra activities)

Easily the best 2 months of my life.

I don't even know where to start here. If you're ever in a situation where you think your life is stagnating and you need to try something new, I would highly recommend this program as it gave me so much to do, see and experience.

Our group was very lucky also to have 2 very good leaders in Joe & Frank. They definitely helped make it an awesome 2 months!

Everything from Cusco to Quito was just absolutely amazing (even the 20 hour bus rides!), I really can't pick a favourite week even though I thought it would be the trek to Machu Picchu before I started.

Cusco offered a great city life and definitely unique and it was a great place to meet the group and get to know them. The homestays and Spanish classes were also very interesting and I got a lot out of the first week.

The second week was all about Machu Picchu which was just stunning and worth all the blisters I got from hiking about 10 hours a day! I really can't explain how amazing it was to finally get to Machu Picchu and take it all in.

Next up was a journey up the west coast up to the beach town of Mancora, which was a really lovely town. There was nothing like chilling beside a pool, swimming with turtles, banana boating, swimming in the sea and having a few drinks at night with your mates after the tough trek the past week. Such an enjoyable week.

The next 2 weeks were spent in a really cool animal sanctuary and I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would! Some of the animals were just so unique and cool I wish we could spend more time with them! The family running the place were cool too as one of them took us out to a cool waterfall one day after work! Spending the weekend between the 2 weeks here at a town called Baños was really cool too as it was full of things to do!

Into the jungle we went in the 6th week to stay and work with the Shuar Tribe, which was just such an unique experience you won't really find easily anywhere else!

The last week in Quito was also really good, there were loads of places to eat/drink/relax after teaching the children at school some english. It was just the perfect place really to finish things off and I was very sad to leave the place and the wonderful people I'd met!

Definitely worth every penny. Thanks!

For me the only way to improve the program is to extend it. Make it 3 months and bring in Bolivia so people could see Lake Titicaca, Yungas Road and Salar de Uyuni. Start off in La Paz and do the first month in Bolivia then start in Cusco on week 5.

Obviously easier said than done but just my thoughts!

This was the best two months of my life so far and I loved every minute of this trip. If I could give any advice to someone considering taking a gap year or gap semester, DO IT!! It was the best decision I have made regarding my education and I would even recommend going for longer.

I grew to become very independent and made some memories i will never forget. I saw the most amazing sights and experienced things I never thought possible. I kayaked in the Galapagos Islands, fed monkeys and ocelots, hiked a volcano, taught children english, and met some of the most genuine and incredible people ever. The nights out were so much fun and now I can never think of karaoke the same way again.

Our group leaders were incredible and don't get enough credit (or money) for their hard work.

The part that made this trip unforgettable was the people on it. I have never been so comfortable with a group of people and I love every single person on the trip. I made lifelong friends that I will never forget and we have already started planning a reunion for next year! never forget #johncena #momsspaghetti #glockinmyrari <3

Sorry, but every trip has its problems....
Our group leaders, Joe and Jamie were amazing and don't get paid enough for what they do. Jamie had to leave halfway through the trip due to a problem with his visa in Ecuador and Joe had to supervise all 13 kids on the trip which I imagine was quite difficult. They didn't get enough credit for their hard work and everything they had to deal with.

Secondly, the food budget was a joke. We were promised 3 meals a day, but the budget for most places was $10 which was no where close to what we needed. I spent way more of my own money than I was expecting, since we were told it was all included. Also we were promised a Gapforce t-shirt which none of us ever received, and since Gapforce was in such a rush for us to pay them, i expected to at least get a t-shirt (ha ha).

My last improvement would be to actually tell us what we're doing. A lot of the time none of us had any idea what was going on and we weren't told anything. We didn't even get the trip itinerary until the second week and it was just a calendar with words on it. My parents had no idea where I was most of the time and neither did I. (just kidding) But kidding aside, take more care in your organization. ESPECIALLY in the Galapagos, that was a MESS. Gapforce wouldn't pay for our leader to come so we had a random "leader" that we never saw and would take us to "dinner" which was just someones house, and then leave every night. We didn't do half the things promised, it was an unorganised disaster.

One thing I would recommend to Gapforce is to spend less time in the Amazon. Although it was amazing, the second week in the animal sanctuary felt more like a routine than anything else. We were bored doing the same thing every day and wanted to move on. We would have liked to spend more time in Banos or Lima, since we spent one day in Lima and saw NOTHING. Considering it is a capital city with a lot of history, i think we should have seen more.

The Shuar tribe was NOT AT ALL what I was expecting. It's not so much a tribe, but a community of Ecuadorians who wore normals clothes and loved to offer to take us places so we would pay for their taxis. The ONLY time we interacted with them was when they played soccer with us on the last night so we would buy their jewelry. Also they barely fed us so we went into the nearby town to buy food. It might be a good idea to cut this part out of the trip or go to a more traditional tribe.
Response from GapForce

Hi Charlotte,

Thank you for your review and we are delighted that you had a great time on our South America trip during your gap year. Your feedback is really important to us so we can better understand our customer needs and make amendments to our programs where necessary.

I am pleased that you found our leaders incredible. The quality of our leaders is something we pride ourselves on. Joe and Jamie have both completed our rigorous Expedition Leader Training Course to make them the best at what they do! Jamie has now led groups with us for around 3 years and we're very proud of the work our leaders do.

I'm sorry you didn't feel enough information was provided to you regarding your itinerary. We aim to provide a thorough and complete Information Pack before signing up, as well as access to our online portal pre-departure, where you can access documents about the program. We also organise a webinar briefing about a month before departure with further information about your program and itinerary. Nevertheless we will be taking all of these comments on board for an internal review of any areas we can provide more real-time information to our participants and their parents.

I'm also sorry to hear that you didn't receive your Gapforce t-shirt! I have checked our records to find that it was sent about a month in advanced from our UK office to your location in the US. In case it got lost on route and you would still like a Gapforce t-shirt, please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected] and we'll get a new one sent out to you!

Our South America trip is a very popular trip that has now been running for years, and we will be using your feedback to help us improve it even further.

Best wishes, the Gapforce team.

so glad i made this trip

I had an amazing experience of a lifetime. I would do it 100 more times if i could!

I met lovely and interesting people who impacted my life in incredible ways.

For me one the exciting memories was our trip to Mancora. The view was spectacular and I had a ball on the jet skies!

South America is an incredible continent and offers a diverse cultural experience. The program is structured in a manner which allowed us to experience these cultures in a way that I would never have been able to experience.

The coordinators, Jaimie and Joe were very professional, well organized and caring. For me, this was the first away from home without my family and being in a country so different from my comfort zone, they went out of their way to settle me in and looked out for me....and all the members of the group. They were really key in making the trip absolutely awesome.

Advise to future attendees: make sure you are fit and bring a lot of bug spray!!!!!!

South America Explore

This trip was definitely a once in a lifetime experience and I've had the most amazing time. Choosing just one moment would be extremely difficult as I loved every week and loved the diversity of each week. The leaders Joe and Jamie created a safe environment and provided the group with advice about the cities and different activities throughout the trip and made everyone feel very welcome! I would definitely recommend this trip and GapForce to others as it is a great way to travel and to meet new people.

Knowing a bit more information about the home stay, however I thought it was a great way to get to know the people on the trip and improve my Spanish

Overall great trip

So many amazing memories created on this trip! I thought it had great content & I really enjoyed everything we did, there were so many different things packed into a relatively short time. However, Gapforce was not great at providing information beforehand, and some incorrect information was given. Our leader also didn't speak any Spanish, which at times made interactions with locals a bit difficult. I also think the food budget was quite tight, and we weren't always provided with bottled water, although I was told before the trip I wouldn't need to bring chlorine tablets as water was ok to drink. There were a few other improvements I think could be made, but overall I had a great time & didn't want to go home. I met some great people, did things I never thought I would & pushed myself out of my comfort at times. I definitely want to return to South America in the future, and would recommend anyone to go there.

Have a more experienced leader who speaks Spanish.

What and amazing experience met some incredible people and had some amazing experiences. Obviously some stuff sometimes went wrong but its South America what are people expecting? Cant wait to go back!!!

maybe to shut up all the complainers put a leader that can speak spanish

No Anaconda?

Leaders: very good, should be given raises and promotions, and probably take over the company all together
People on trip: very good
Office: very bad
Pre-trip information: was not happy with certain promises not kept.
Food: various (as we were promised three meals a day, was dissapointed with the lack of budgetted money given to us for food weekly.)
Lack of anaconda sightings: horrendous.

If you wish to hear more in depth, please email me.

Response from GapForce

Dear GG,

Thank you for your comments, we welcome all feedback so we can better understand our customer needs and make amendments to our programs where necessary.

First of all, I am pleased that you found our Leaders very good. We run a rigorous Expedition Leader Training Course to ensure we have the best leaders for the job. Both Nick and Hannah completed the course last year so I am pleased that you recognise the high standards we set for our staff. The quality of our Leaders is something we pride ourselves on.

I am also happy to hear that you enjoyed the company of your fellow group members. We have participants from a number of countries on our programs including the UK, US, Canada, Australia and Europe which I think really adds to the group dynamic.

Of course I am disappointed that you felt the office was not good and the pre-departure information lacking. We have asked Nick and Hannah for updated trip information so we can amend any details that are incorrect and advise all future groups accordingly. If you have more specific details on you feel we can improve in this area please do let us know by emailing [email protected]

With regards to Anaconda sightings, I am unsure whether this is a serious complaint? If it is please do email the office with more details so I can look into it further

In summary, I am pleased that you enjoyed the leadership of our staff and company of your fellow travellers and hope that, in the main, you had a great time in South America like most of our participants do.

We are constantly looking at ways we can improve our programs and thank you for your feedback. I will be reviewing our pre-departure information to ensure it is up-to-date and making any changes that are needed for future groups.

Best wishes,

Manager, Gapforce

No, I don't recommend

Gap Force South America

I had an amazing time in South America and met some really great people. The team leaders, Nick and Hannah were really great. They were always looking out for us. Everything within the country was organised well due to the fact that Nick and Hannah were in charge.

However Gapforce were incredibly slow when it came to providing information. The staff back in the UK have very little knowledge of what the trip actually consists off and repeatedly gave wrong information to me and my fellow travelers. The food budget was a complete joke. This is no fault of the leaders but Gapforces fault. We were promised three meals per day. If I didn't have my own money, gapforce would have forced me to eat off the streets. After all the money that was given to Gapforce, I thought that this would be provided.

However the jungle experience was incredible and extremely grateful for having that opportunity. Met some great volunteers and was amazing to get so close to the animals.

Also, the galapagos trip was not organised very well, however that is Gapforce's fault for subcontracting that work to such an awful company with rude staff. However I had a great time there seeing the exotic animals and also scuba diving.

The nights out were really great, and had a really good time with all the people on the trip. All in all this trip was amazing and wish I could do it again.

About GapForce

Gapforce is a leading provider of structured Gap Year programs and summer opportunities overseas. The wide range of global adventures includes marine conservation, wildlife protection, community volunteering & healthcare, extreme expeditions,...