The Leap | Horse safari, Conserve Wildlife + Teach in South Africa.

South Africa - Teaching the local kids to ride.
South Africa - Teaching the local kids to ride.
South Africa - Horse safari in a private game reserve.
South Africa - Horse safari in a private game reserve.
South Africa - community projects
South Africa - Elephant safari's.
South Africa - Elephant safari's.
South Africa - community projects

Join a team of leap volunteers to horse safari across a game reserve, south of the Kruger National Park. Help rangers with their wildlife and reserve conservation, teach in the local township and venture to the beaches of Mozambique.

2 - 10 week programs available, which include:

Rides through the reserve looking for any wildlife and reserve issues.
Monitoring the reserve’s rhino, elephant and leopard - collecting, recording data.
Helping the rangers look after the rescued elephants living on the reserve.
Helping the rangers with their anti-poaching initiatives.
Teaching English/sport to township kids.
Refurbishing the township community centre.
Safari at Kruger National Park.
Elephant back safaris.
4x4 driving

A 10 week programs includes a 4 day adventure to the Mozambique Coast + bush plane flight over the reserve.

Departures throughout the year.

Click "get started' for more information.

Coronavirus Update

All our programs are running as planned and we are working closely with our families to arrange flexible payment schedules and back up contingencies. Get in touch.

Jacqueline

Horse safari South Africa

A typical day (as far as there is one!) would be: be on the horses from 6 'till 8. Beautiful to ride up a hill and see giraffes and wildebeest from a horse back. We've even seen elephants and hippos!
Back at Bushhouse: change clothes and get ready for the day.
We would either go for a gamedrive, bush walk, go to the orphanage or do some conservationwork. You never know what you can expect. Everyday is a surprise.
Other than the normal days at Bushhouse, we had trips to Jessica the Hippo, God's Window, Sabi (extreme adventures), Kosi Bay. Such amazing places and experiances! The whole group grows closer every week and it starts to feel like you've known them for ever.

The rangers in Kwa Madwala are amazing and whenever there's a problem, they help you to find a solution. Problems with money? They will try and work something out with you.
And then ofcourse there are the party nights. Have a braai and a beer in the bush in Africa. Could life be any better?

I deffinately reccomend this programme. It had tought me so much about myself, being in a group, and what I want to do in the future.
You really REALLY need to go 10 weeks if you go. 80% of the 6 weekers in my group extended to 10 in the end.
I would go again in a second if I could!

Sometimes we were out of things to do.
It's nice to lay in the sun for a day, but we were there to do things.
Maybe they should have some back-up plans, for when there is nothing to do.
Katharine

An Amazing Experience

I enjoyed my 6 weeks at Kwa Madwala through the leap. It was invaluable to my personal development and my social skills. I really enjoyed meeting a group of new people and know that I have made some good friends for life. My favourite part of the trip was the conservation side of the programme. I loved seeing the animals and it was always exciting seeing them from horseback. I also enjoyed the community work, although I don't know if we were really as helpful as we could have been - for example we were only allowed to paint one classroom in the school as the other classrooms were for other groups. But we were useful as teaching assistats and helpers especially at the auphanage which I really enjoyed.

That the community work was more organised so that less time was wasted.
Rosalynn

South Africa Horse Safari

An amazing and extraordinary trip to South Africa, to my opinion. Horse riding is in the daily program and entertainment is taken care of. The staff make sure nobody gets bored. The highlights for me were the "outdoor" trips to Kruger National Park and Sabie. Plenty of variation in the program, and every week a discussion is planned to see if everyone is still happy and comfortable with the program. Yes, it is expensive, but it is worth the price. It's South Africa - be amazed!

Better/ more clear description of the program and specially the costs (No price indications to the optional trips, this can be confusing). There were so many additional costs involved, which was not very pleasing. After all, I had an amazing time. I definitely want to go back. Be prepared to pay extra, be open-minded and be amazed.