Au Pair in Spain for Summer or Academic Year

Cala in Torrevieja
Cala in Torrevieja
View of Orihuela
View of Orihuela

Would you like to improve your Spanish? Take a gap year? Or maybe just during your summer holidays? Have you considered being an Au pair?
As an au pair you will receive food, board and stipend at your host family, and also free time to attend language lessons or simply relax and enjoy your stay in exchange for childcare and sharing your culture and language.

A cheap, easy and rewarding way to travel, live and learn.
Stays from 1 to 3 months in summer up to 12 months all year
We have families from North to South, East to West: Galicia, Andalucía, Madrid, Cataluña, Valencia, Canary Islands, etc..

• Welcoming families
  • Diverse locations all over Spain
  • Our continuous support and follow-up
  • Free board and lodgings plus weekly stipend
  • No admin charges for you

Hi, Anabella, Thanks for your enquiry. Yes, you can. There are a couple of things to be taken into account. Being a Mexican citizen I think your motivation is not learning the language - as we share one - but about our culture, traditions, way of living and so on. That is fine, but you have to bear in mind that Spanish families' motivation to host an au pair is that their children learn a foreign...

Hi, Una, Au pairs usually receive a minimum of 70€ for 25 hrs p.w. 75€ for 30 hrs p.w. English native speakers usually receive a bit more than that but that is up to the families. On top of that full board and lodgings. If you are not a EU national, family will also pay half of you medical insurance for the lenght of your stay with them. Hope this answer helps you. Looking forward to hearing from...

Agnieszka

A massive growing experience

I contacted Ana as a bright eyed 18-year-old wanting to immerse myself in the Spanish culture and improve my language. I left my host family feeling like a completely new person- I built a strong connection with my host family, I experienced working hard for the first time and I improved my Spanish massively. It’s definitely a life changing experience, but Ana was available for support whenever it was difficult. I grew up a lot through this experience and I recommend it for anyone seeking a challenge!

Choose your family carefully and manage your expectations. It will be difficult but it will also be rewarding.
Eva

Big challenge

Wow! One word: Challenge. But a good one. It was a great experience, and I grew a lot as a person. Why challenging? Because you will have to adapt to another lifestyle, living with a family you do not know and far away from your friends and family. But that is exactly at the same time the beauty. Your host family will guide you and will make you feel at home, so no worries! It is almost guaranteed that you will grow! so dont doubt it and just go for it. to me it has been an experience i am happy i did not missed it.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Choose your family wisely and take time to choose one. You have to live for a long time together! So it is important to have a good feeling about your future family.
Angela

A Summer in Galicia

This past summer, I spent two months in Galicia, Spain with a wonderful family I met through Destino Idiomas. Ana was very helpful in guiding me through the family-selection process, as this was my first time as an au pair. After I arrived, Ana checked in with me to see how I was doing for the first few weeks, and even after she stopped checking in, I knew she was still a resource for me. It was very comforting to know that if something went wrong, I would have help nearby because my family was back in the United States. In fact, one time, I had stomach issues and went to the clinic, and Ana was on the phone and able to translate for me. I improved exponentially in my Spanish through little effort on my part because I was constantly surrounded my Spanish. I learned so much about Galician culture and fell in love with their wonderful food. During my free time, I took weekends trips with other au pairs from Destino Idiomas that Ana put me in contact with. Although this experience was ony two months, I grew and learned so much and made lifelong friends.

Alexandra

Au Pair in Valladolid, Spain

During this past summer I had the amazing opportunity to live with a great family in Valladolid, Spain. This was an experience I will never forget, I was able to meet many new people, both locals and others in the Au Pair program. My Spanish improved exponentially even with minimal effort on my part. And I met an amazing little girl that I was lucky to take care of for 10 weeks. I also had the opportunity to travel every weekend which allowed me to get a greater cultural experience. Through my agency I was guided from the beginning of my experience when I was preparing to leave, throughout with phone calls to check in, and at the end with follow up messages to make sure I enjoyed my time in Valladolid, Spain. I would recommend this experience to anyone looking to go outside their comfort zone and learn about a new culture.

More publicity about this program, I would love to see more au pairs in every area of Spain so that right away new au pairs have someone they can explore the cities with.
Jennifer

Au pair in Barcelona

I had a great time in Spain! I've been an au pair in Barcelona for 6 months and really enjoyed my time here. I was able to meet a lot of people from all over the world, learn and improve my spanish and learn more about myself and what I want in life. Being an au pair is truly an amazing experience and you will definitely become more independent.

I am Dutch and was staying with a dutch family, so if you want to learn or improve your spanish my tip would be to stay with a spanish family. This way you will learn quicker because you only hear spanish and you don't have to switch between languages.

I would definitely recommend this program! Ana always let us know when there was a national holiday or when events would happen near you and she also checked up on you every once in a while.

Visit as many places as you can and just enjoy every minute of it, because it is over before you know it!
Sabien

au pair Santiago de Compostela

I've been an au pair in Santiago de Compostela for 8 months. The day after I arrived, I went to the office of Destino Idiomas to introduce myself. Ana, from Destino Idiomas, told me a lot about the city and we had lunch together. My hostfamily was amazing, they showed me the city and made me feel at home. Ana was checking on me every once in a while. I didn't have any troubles, but it was nice to know that there was someone in case I needed help.

I've had an amazing time during my stay in Santiago de Compostela. I've visited lots of places, I've made new friends and I feel like my hostfamily became my second family.

Unfortunately, I had to leave Spain earlier than planned, because of a small accident. I've been in the hospital for a surgery and Ana from Destino Idiomas came to visit me. She supported me in my decision to go home earlier and she helped me with everything she could. I would've prefered to finish my gap year differently, but I still look back at it with a big smile.

Visit as many places as you can, try food you've never tasted before and do things you've never done before. But especially; enjoy your time!! Before you know it, you'll be back home!
Michelle

Good Gapyear

I had a good time in Spain! To be honest it is hard to give a review because I was really lucky with my family. I have a sweet loving family and we get along very well, but it is never sure if it’ll be like that for someone else. I stayed in Ourense and I am glad i chose this city. There are not that many aupairs but there is a big English community here and the people here in Galicia are the kindest people i’ve ever met. The food here is good and it’s easy to travel around with for instance Blablacar or bus.
I feel like it will be really difficult for me to go back to my own life and leave my hostmother, children and friends here behind, but i am glad i will always have a home here in Spain if I decide to go back. Which I probably will. Groetjes Michelle

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
It’s a more personal thing for me because i came here with just a little money and i found out very soon that it’s nice to have some extra money for traveling around and stuff like that. It’s more like a lesson for myself
Kavi

5 months in Vigo

Although some parts of my experience proved to be difficult, I can hands down say that this was the best part of my life so far. I was able to meet so many different people from all over the world, learn so much about life, grow as a person, learn A LOT of spanish (I knew a few words at the start), find a second home and family and just generally live a life I loved. I would absolutely do it again and recommend it to anyone.
Ana was great in terms of checking up on you. She was in regular contact so you never would feel overwhelmed or alone, and helped talk to me about my issues, which I know other au pairs using different programs were not as lucky to have access to. She even organised a meet up for the fellow au pairs of Galicia that she had in her agency!

Enjoy every minute of it because it goes too fast!