This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Global Routes.
Global Routes Gap Year Program in Tanzania - CLOSED

Global Routes Gap Year Program in Tanzania - CLOSED

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Global Routes.

Spend your gap year making a difference as a English Teacher in Tanzania!

Students arrive into Dar Es Salaam, bond under the shadow of Mt Kilimanjaro in Moshi while training to be an English teacher in a rural village. You'll spend 10 weeks immersed in one community, sharing a homestay with your closest friend on the program. Together, you'll be responsible for implementing an English teaching curriculum in the classroom while developing secondary projects of your choosing in education, public health, and community development. Take a break midway by visiting Africa's most exhilarating game parks and celebrate all you've accomplished during Final Travel in the awe-inspiring Spice Island of Zanzibar.

This is the most immersive Africa Gap Year program in the field and we're looking for applicants with an open mind, and a desire to make a positive impact on the world! Take the first step at

Program Tags
Adventure Travel
Teach Abroad
Volunteer Abroad
Age Max
Tuition includes all costs with the exception of flights and personal spending money.

Life-changing semester with Global Routes

Even though it's been several years since my semester with Global Routes in East Africa, I think about it every day. It was the single most formative experience of my life. I not only learned about language and teaching, but I also learned to assert myself, even when the words didn't come very easily. I learned about finding routine abroad, the power of vulnerability and making connections with people, and the value of education. I discovered a drive to succeed and a love for humanity within myself that wildly influenced my choices in the years to come.

My leaders were fantastic at guiding me through the inherent challenges of living abroad. Although it was an adjustment to live with a host family and teach in a classroom, I was given all the tools I needed to thrive, and overcoming those challenges was one of the best parts of my experience. I continue to look to my leaders as mentors and feel like I can reach out to the greater Global Routes community for support as I continue on my path.

Overall, I was very impressed with Global Routes' pre- and post- program communication as well as with the program itself. I believe that Global Routes offers the greatest and most creditable gap year programs out there!

No suggestions

“Adventure is a path. Real adventure – self-determined, self-motivated, often risky – forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind – and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.”
– Mark Jenkins

The Global Routes Summer TIP program was by far the best and most inspirational experience in my life thus far. Kenya alone is such an amazing, unique, and welcoming country but partnered with the awesome and helpful staff at Global Routes, it quickly became a life changing experience.

The villages and schools were so welcoming and even if things were difficult at times, I truly feel that these "rough patches" are some of the memories and lessons that I will cherish and carry with me forever. In my home, school and village there is a real and authentic sense of community that is impossible not to fall in love with. I found myself excited to wake up each morning, which almost never happens. The faculty and students were so kind and accepting that it made it extremely difficult to leave.

Our fearless leader Geno guided us but more importantly she allowed us to make our own decisions and learn from our mistakes. She kept us positive and really made me think about the world and the role that I play in it. Geno treated each of us as individuals and equals, which was extremely refreshing and somewhat unexpected. Despite the fact that I haven't seen her or my fellow interns since departing Kenya, I know that if I ever needed anything, whether it be a place to stay or just simple cup of tea, I could definitely count on them to be there for me just as I would be there for them.

I think that Global Routes is an amazing program because it allows every intern to go in to their programs with their own goals. This freedom is what I believe creates an environment for individual growth as well as growth as a group.

I would definitely recommend this program to anyone and everyone. I can't even fully put into words the love and appreciation that I have for all those who made my time in Kenya possible. That is how utterly amazing this program is.

incredible experience

Overall I had an incredible time with Global Routes. The villages were both safe and welcoming and both homestay families were chosen with care. During the homestays we lived just like the families meaning that we took bucket showers and ate a lot of ugali. We were prepared for whatever we met next, whether it was speaking Swahili or teaching in the villages. Our leader was fantastic and always ready to listen and help with whatever concern we had. We were constantly moving from place to place so there was never a dull moment. As a group, we spent time reflecting and I really felt like I grew as an individual and plan on doing a lot more travelling. If you want a truly unique African experience and want to know what it really feels like to live in a rural village, this trip is for you.

About Global Routes

Be more than a traveler with Global Routes.

Global Routes seeks to foster personal development in our students through cross-cultural experiences that encourage them to step outside of their boundaries and open their hearts and minds to new and...