A gap year in Thailand with GapGuru will give you an opportunity to experience authentic Thai culture, learn some Thai language, gain an insight into Buddhism and participate in activities such as stunning waterfall treks or temple visits.
GapGuru currently offers volunteer programs in Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand and remote hill-tribe villages (5 hours from Chiang Mai).
Participants on our Chiang Mai projects stay in our lovely volunteer house in the Mae Sariang District, not far from the centre of Chiang Mai. The house is surrounded by bright green rice paddies and is located just behind a Buddhist temple. The house is only 10 minutes walk into town where, you can find cafes with WiFi, small supermarkets, etc.
- Teach English to Buddhist Monks in Thailand: Spend your days volunteering in a temple, learning about Buddhism and the day-to-day life of the monks as part of a unique cultural experience. Many young men join monasteries as a chance to get access to education, which would not otherwise be available to them. Volunteers can help by teaching English in this tranquil and friendly environment.
- Teach English to School Children in Thailand: Receive the support you need to deliver your own English lessons as a classroom teacher, pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and making a real difference to the children’s education.
- Hill Tribe Community Volunteer in Thailand: Immerse yourself in truly authentic Thai culture, many miles from the tourist industry. These remote hill tribes practise traditional ways of life, and are located in the countryside about 5 hours from Chiang Mai. Volunteer with the children, teach English and become a valued member of the close-knit community during your stay.
- Thailand Experience: Spend 3 weeks in Thailand, taking part in cultural tours and activities and joining 3 of our rewarding projects: teach in Chiang Mai, volunteer with hill tribes, and care for elephants in a sanctuary.
- Asia Experience: Spend 3 weeks in Thailand, taking part in cultural tours and activities and joining 3 of our rewarding projects: teach in Chiang Mai, volunteer with hill tribes, and care for elephants in a sanctuary. Follow this up with 3 weeks Cambodia, running activities with children in Battambang, tripping over to Siem Reap (the backpacker’s favourite) and visiting the breathtaking temples at Angkor Wat. Finish in style with 2 weeks cruising the Mekong River into Vietnam, and relaxing on beautiful and tranquil beaches.
- Traveling to Teach in Thailand: This is a 3-week summer holiday programme for qualified teachers, designed to fit into the 6-week break. Make the most of your skills and experience by adding huge value to the curriculum in a Thai school.