Hands On Learning Eco-Gap Immersion at EcoVillage Ithaca

maintaining solar panels
maintaining solar panels
Cornell University
Cornell University

Eco-Gap Immersion give you a chance to experience life in a vibrant and cutting edge intentional community.

Through hands-on learning, discussions and field trips you will explore a variety of socially just and environmentally sustainable techniques for living lightly on the land and peacefully with others. You’ll learn practical skills for transforming yourself and the world around the topics of food and farming, green building and renewable energy production, personal wellness and community development. We offer opportunities for you to explore topics that matter to you and the world, while adding to your skills and exploring ideas of how to apply your interests and talents to your life after the program! This is an 8 week long program that takes places September - October, with up to 8 participants.

• Ecovillage life.
  • Organic farming.
  • Green building, renewable energy, climate change.
  • Healthy cooking and personal wellness.
  • Social justice and cooperative decision making.

Our age range is 17-20 for our fall program. Thanks for asking.

Audrée

Great opportunity to build my passion into a future career!

I loved everything about Ecovillage at Ithaca. I'm passionate about ecovillages, so it was amazing just to spend time and experience life in one of the biggest and most well known ecovillages in the States. I had the chance to participate fully in the community life: cooking and eating communal meals, going to their meetings, being part of their talent show! The program is well adapted to each person's preferences: the program coordinator connected me with experts in the areas I'm most interested in, which allowed me to make great contacts and continue building my passion. I was housed by a very generous lady, had my own room and was very comfortable in her beautiful solar passive house! I had a chance to spend some free time in the forest, bird watching and discovering the protected land of the community.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was really surprised and impressed that they have built almost the same number of houses as the original development plan... while preserving 90% of the land in forest and farms! And that their houses produce 80% less greenhouse gas emissions than the typical american house!
Anna

A

During my time in the Eco-Gap program, I had definite takeaways from all aspects of the program. When I first approached the possibility of taking a gap semester, I wanted to live in a place and be surrounded by people that I could collaborate, learn from and grow with. The Eco-Village community and city of Ithaca provided me with just that! HIGHLY recommend this program for all people who want to step out of the classroom and test out a new and more fulfilling learning experience. Anybody from any background and any place in life can grow from this experience.

With this being The EcoVillage's first gap semester program , I had already expected there to be minor hiccups along the way. But none that were too unexpected.
Brock

Unique and Powerful

The Eco-Gap program was an incredibly enlightening experience, one in which much personal growth was attained. The program teaches you the many aspects of green living and organic farming as well as how to live and thrive in a community setting. Here, i found so many talented individuals who were always friendly and happy to help. The beautiful scenery and powerful history of the area only add to this delightful experience.