- United States of America
View Other Details
The Global Medical Fellows program gives college graduates the opportunity to travel to different countries during their gap-year to experience the challenges and opportunities present in a variety of global health settings.
The program is intended for college graduates of any major interested in volunteering in underserved healthcare settings. Fellows live and work in three different countries during a total of nine months. We offer starts dates in the Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter.
-Learn about traditional Mayan medicine and medicine gardens in Cayo District, Belize.
-Discover the Mayan and Catholic mixed heritage in Quetzaltenango, Guatemala.
-Explore the food, clothing and traditions at the Market in Mae Sot, Thailand.
-Experience Appalachian culture and heritage in West Virginia, USA.
And in each location, provide free health services and education to the local inhabitants!
- Work at local health center alongside community health workers, nurses and/or doctors.
- Get first-hand experience addressing health disparities in underserved areas.
- Live with host families or in dormitories in rural villages or small towns; learn the local language and participate in cultural activities.
- Be a leader and mentor the next generation of healthcare professionals.
- Become trained, deliver health screenings, and implement small-scale health projects.