South East Asia Ethical Adventure Trail

Combine exciting adventure travel with a project placement and experience the best of South East Asia on an unforgettable adventure trip with Frontier through Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam.

Travelling with a group of like-minded young explorers and a professional Frontier trail guide, you will explore cultural and heritage sites including the world-famous temple ruins of Angkor Wat.

You will also take part in a range of adventure sports activities including trekking and white water rafting.

As well as fun, adventure and new experiences, you will also have the opportunity to give something back to the people and environment of the countries you are travelling in. This involves either a teaching placement, teaching English to underprivileged kids in exotic Siem Reap, or living on a remote paradise island and helping collect survey data for an ongoing marine conservation project.

You can take part in this trail for either 2 weeks, 4 weeks or the full 10 weeks.

To apply for any of our projects, visit our website, click on the orange “Apply Now” buttons, fill in the short application form and a volunteer adviser will call you back to answer any questions.

Read updates from our latest Asia trail on the Gap Year blog.

• Make lifelong friendships
  • Become an intrepid explorer in this wondrous corner of the world
  • Discover a wealth of culture & wildlife

Lauren

Terrible organisation by Frontier, would not recommend

The only reason I enjoyed this trip was the people who were in my group, my trail leader was lovely and she chose and booked great accommodation, and the countries themselves were incredible. Our leader only had online training and Frontier had not told her the process at all, it was not clear what trips/travel and transfer was included (and a lot was restricted). Breakfast and lunch (which was included) HAD to be incredibly basic, very cheap local food eaten together at the same time. However this didn't take into account any other circumstances such as illness, group size, availability, price fluctuations etc. Our budget was tiny for the whole trip and if we didn't use it all on a meal, we never saw the leftover money.

There was rules with drinking and you weren't allowed much personal freedom - it felt like a school trip really. The safety regulations were ridiculous: not being allowed to slide down a slide at a waterfall, go on a banana boat or walk by yourself unless you were 'signed out' from the company's care (this also meant you couldn't use the paid for company accommodation whilst signed out). We had to write a blog every week, which only around 2 of which were actually published.

Communication with the company was shocking, they never replied to any emails or queries no matter how urgent etc. They also failed to take appropriate action when it came to one member's mental & physical health, which had consequences later on.. They also made not a single penny donation to the local school we taught at, which is disgusting considering how much we paid - and very awkward when the teacher told us this.

Overall on the whole trip I could not understand where any of this money had gone and was hugely disappointed. So much so that I actually came back early. We had one leader for around 13 people, which is not acceptable and too much responsibility for one person.

I would greatly advise you find a different company to travel with! I regret going with Frontier.

Too many ways to list, please see my review for details.
No, I don't recommend this program
MiriH

The South East Asia trail has been an amazing experience.

From riding elephants in Thailand to living in the jungle in Cambodia, seeing amazing wildlife, surfing and sanboarding in Vietnam and travelling the world, and this is just another day at work! I have had the opportunity to make some amazing friends both in the local people i have met and the trail members and other frontier staff, and been able to see some amazing places and also gain valuable work experience with an Environmental NGO. I would reccommend Frontier to everyone as a volunteer or staff member as i have been both! However you must also have your own funds to support your journey as costs can mount up. An amazing experience and quite possibly the best job in the world!

About Frontier

A world of possibilities awaits you with Frontier. You could be spending memorable days scuba diving off the brilliant white sand beaches of Fiji or discovering Madagascar on a conservation project with lemurs and chameleons.

Frontier has over 300...