Projects Abroad High School Project in Argentina

Projects Abroad High School Project in Argentina

Projects Abroad offers High School Specials for teens who are interested in getting a taste of what it's like to volunteer abroad. Travel to Argentina to work on service projects, learn Spanish, and immerse yourself in the Argentinian culture.
Program participants can choose to work with local Argentinian communities and schools, observe medical professionals, learn about Human Rights, or work at an animal sanctuary. Spend 2 or 4 weeks exploring Argentina while fulfilling community service hour requirements and engaging with international students.
For more details, visit Projects Abroad's site for High School programs.

South America » Argentina
Program Categories
Inclusions
Activities
Meals
Transportation
Travel Insurance
Spanish
Prices vary depending on project and number of weeks
Visit our website for more detailed information

Shawyan
Houston, TX

Medicine in Argentina

Everything about the trip was wonderful. The staff were all very guiding and caring and the housing families were very protective and kind towards us. The work load was very manageable and very interesting. The weekends were filled with trips to historic sites or traditional shopping markets. We even went on a zip lining expedition through the mountains. Very cool to be exposed to a completely different culture while learning about medicine. Would recommend 10/10

More organized social events

Pauline

Great experience

My time in Argentina through Projects Abroad was extremely fun. I had a great time at our weekly social events, and met lifelong friends. Through the human rights and law project, we visited girls' institutions, cooked for the homeless, and organized a campaign on pedophilia. Lastly, we also took classes on international law and prepared for a mock trial that we had at the end of the two weeks.
The staff was relatively kind and the coordinator Vicky was helpful and listened to us when my roommates and I needed to speak to her. My host family was also relatively kind, but we did not see her much, which ended up being a drawback because we weren't able to form a close relationship with her. Also, she spoke English to us, which was a bit frustrating as we had came to Argentina specifically to speak Spanish. However, she did all that she could to make us feel at home, and made the most amazing dinners.
Overall, i am extremely glad that I participated in this program as it allowed me to give back to the world and this community. I also met amazing people that I still talk to and see on vacations. Definitely recommend!

One thing that I definitely would improve is the freedom that we have. During our stay in Argentina, my roommates and I were often frustrated because although most of us were 18, we were not let out of sight. If we were home, we were under full supervision of our host family which felt a bit overwhelming at times. We also felt a bit uncomfortable asking the staff to take us out more to the city to visit more because we didn't want to bother them, and so we ended up not really taking in the culture of Argentina.

Jem
New York

Spanish and Medicine

The Project's Abroad High School Special is an excellently run program.Within that category I chose the program Medicine and Spanish for 2 weeks. I was thoroughly impressed with the immense variety of volunteer opportunities. I chose the program I did because it suited the fact that I wanted to become a doctor as well as it allowed me to practice my Spanish language skills. The program coordinators provided excellent support and provided transportation (a mix of public and private). As a minor, I found this very comforting as I was alone in a different country. The lady I stayed with, Dora, was very friendly and very entertaining. She took great care of me and made sure that I always had enough to eat. The volunteer placements were very unique and my activities ranged not only in type but also intensity. Some days we met locals and tried local culture and activities (such as zip-lining and going to the market), while other days we spent at hospitals shadowing doctors and watching surgery. The joy with the high school special is that you go with a bunch of other people your age. As a result I have made some extremely close friends who I will keep in contact with for a while. Overall, I was thrilled with the quality of homestay family, food, and volunteer placement.

The only advice I would give is to chose a month in which the weather is better in Argentina. I chose a month in which it was winter in Argentina and I would advice against that just so that you do not have to lug a jacket around and I did get a slight cold! As well, you can enjoy the scenery and vegetation. I strongly recommend that anyone who wants to go abroad and experience a different culture in a safe and friendly environment.

Aijah
Washington, DC

A Summer in Argentina

In the summer of 2014, I found myself in a small hospital in the Argentinian country side, wondering how lucky I was to have found a program that gave me this opportunity. When I first began my search for a program to do over the summer, I was pretty conflicted. I really wanted to study abroad, but I also really wanted to do some sort of medical program since I would soon be heading off to college and wanted to confirm that I wasn’t making a huge mistake doing pre-med. To top it off, I couldn’t do a program that was the entire summer either. The search wasn’t looking too great, until I found Projects Abroad. I went abroad to Argentina with Projects Abroad on their High School Specials’s Medicine and Spanish in Argentina. It combined going abroad, medicine, and flexibility.

After the uphill battle of convincing my over protective parents to let me go (the staff of Projects Abroad helped by providing other volunteers each other’s email addresses so we could coordinate plane flights and know each other a bit before getting there), I was off to Cordoba, Argentina. There, I visited various hospitals from the city to the countryside, viewed surgery from right behind the shoulder of surgeons, received a workshop and a lecture by a surgeon, had a tango lesson, went to a karaoke party, visited La Cumbrecita, to name a few activities.

I also met amazing people, none of whom I’ll ever forget: the staff, the other volunteers, as well as my host family. My host family from the very first day, made me feel like a part of the family too. The encouragement they gave me when I attempted to speak Spanish, the conversations we’d have at the dinner table, the jokes we laughed about; all are memories that I’ll cherish forever. For anyone debating whether or not to go abroad, I strongly recommend that you go out and experience the world.

I thought this program was perfect!

Mia
Washington, DC

An amazing volunteer opportunity!

When searching online for a volunteer program abroad, I couldn't have found a better program than Projects. I signed up for the High School Special focusing on Medicine and Spanish for 2 weeks. They helped with every aspect of planning my trip and made sure to stay connected with me up until my landing in Cordoba. As I stepped into the arrivals area I saw the smiling face of one of the coordinators and I knew my trip would be one I remember for a lifetime. I made friends from all over the world and was able to feel like I was giving back to the community also. Everyday I looked forward to our next trip to the hospital or to the next medical conference. The coordinators helped us whenever we had questions and I know that I have gained a new Argentinian family from my amazing hosts. Projects Abroad made volunteering, learning, and traveling all at once an amazing experience and I would recommend it to everyone I know.

Eliza
Concord, MA

Care & Spanish in Argentina

This trip made for one of the best summers of my life, if not THE best. For two weeks, I lived with an incredible host family while taking Spanish classes and volunteered in a group in the afternoons. An average day would go like this: my roommates and I would wake up and have breakfast, then walk to the PA office to have Spanish class for two hours. Afterwards, we'd come home, eat lunch, and then head back to the office before taking the bus to El Vagón, a place where kids in the neighborhood spent time in the afternoons. With them, we played fútbol, did arts and crafts projects, ate snack, etc. The kids were from about ages 4-14 and they were so sweet–always hugging and kissing us, playing with us, and helping us with our Spanish when we got stuck. After coming home by about 6:00, we'd have some down time before dinner. Some nights, PA organized socials for us–for example, while I was there we went bowling, had a tango lesson, and a karaoke night! All the leaders were so nice and always were there to answer questions. My host family was the best–by the end of the trip, I really felt like I had become a part of the family. The Spanish classes were conversation-based and there were different levels, so you were tested to see which one you would be in (but it was a very low-pressure test). I really liked it because it was so different from some of the Spanish classes I've had before–we talked about things we all really cared about, but in Spanish, learning tons of new words every day. Overall, I would really recommend this program to anyone looking to volunteer in a fun way while learning Spanish. The only thing I would suggest is to at least know basic Spanish before you go: that way, you won't feel completely lost.

Maybe the staff could have been a little more flexible in terms of giving us freedom.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those