Brazil: Culture and Environmental Sustainability

Brazil: Culture and Environmental Sustainability

Experience Brazil’s ecological and cultural diversity and learn about the country’s ongoing efforts related to sustainability.

Discover the environmental and cultural diversity of Brazil, one of the world’s fastest growing economies, during an exciting time in the country’s history: in 2016, Brazil will host the Summer Olympics, an event that will attract visitors from across the globe to Brazil. Explore contemporary opportunities and challenges facing Brazil, particularly in the area of sustainability and environmental conservation while experiencing many of Brazil’s different cultures and communities. Visit coastlines, mountains, and forests to see the unique species inhabiting some of the most biodiverse locations in the southern hemisphere.

Orientation: Monte Alegre do Sul, 3 days

Hotel

Kayla
Brazil

My Experience in Brazil

I have always wanted to travel abroad my dream place to travel to was Brazil. This trip exceeded my expectations it was the best trip I have ever been on. My group was amazing we all bonded and sang songs throughout the trip. This trip exposed me to the beautiful culture in Brazil and their sense of community. Everyday of the trip we did something and interesting wether it be going to the planetarium, learning capoeira, seeing bioluminescent plankton on the beach, or learning Portuguese. These are just a few oath things we did along the trip not a moment was wasted and I enjoyed all of it.

I loved everything about the program it balanced learning the language while also giving me hands on experience with learning the culture.

Jacob
Kansas City, Missouri

Brazil

The Brazil program was everything I expected, and so much more. You cannot go wrong by choosing to participate in this program. Immediarely, when we arrived to Brazil, we were greeted by wonderful staff members, and from there on out we were all treared with the upmoar care. There is one day in particular that will always stand out to me as one of my favorite days while on the program. While in our sustainability section of our unit, we embarked on a 12 mile hike through a mountain and on a beach. This experience tested my physical and mental strength in a way I thought I couldn't. It helped me learn that I could go past my limits and challenge myself even more. Later that night, as we made our way back to our meeting spot for our boat to pick us up, we had to wait a couple extra hours because the tide was not cooperating with us. As it was getting dark you'd expect a sense of worry to start, but our leaders and local leaders were well prepared in any situation. Eventually we made it on our boat and enjoyed a wonderful ride on a boat while looking at millions of stars on that clear night. It was truly memorable.

Evy
Brattleboro, VT

Cultural Immersion in Brazil

My time on the experiment was nothing short of spectacular. I learned things I didn't know about myself, along with learning about new cultures and a new country. I have traveled vastly before, but this immersion was more than I've ever experienced. The intensity at which it was provided was perfect. It was overwhelming, but well worth it. I had a homestay, which was two weeks and it was there that I attempted most of my Portuguese. After our home stays the group traveled to a remote island to learn about conservation and ecology. Overall the trip exceeded my expectations and fueled my curiosity in other places.

Jasmin
Chicago

Brazil Trip

This program was very fun to do. The group was very enthusiastic and made my experience a lot better. From meeting at the airport to arriving to the country the leaders made everything very easy and calming. The orientation was great and you get an insight on how the city differs from other cities and the other smaller towns that are also part of the program. The home stay families are very welcoming and engaging even with a language barrier. My family was amazing because they treated me like their daughter. We ate together, shopped, cooked, and watched movies as a family. I learn to do a Brazilian dessert with them and now i make it back at home. The program teaches how each part you visit works. They explain the ecosystems they have and the issues they have with the environment and how there working to improve For example we did community service and this year i planted a tree and help restore the forests that had been cut down. We also went to an island and stayed there for a couple of days and learn to catch fish from the ocean and nearby rivers. Overall Brazilian people are very warm and loving people. Something to know is that they hug and kiss every time you greet someone. After completing my experience i felt more aware of my surroundings and the things i have. I started to focus on the things i have and not the things i want.

Extending the duration of the program. There is so much to see.

Maddie
Worcester
Clark University

Eu Amo e EIL Brasil!

If you are looking for a culturally immersive, unique, challenging and FUN program, you should strongly consider EIL's Brazilian program. I am a small town girl from Vermont who had never even been on a plane before, and had no idea what to expect in studying abroad. I traveled to Brazil with fifteen other students from across the country along with our two incredible group leaders, and we all quickly connected and built a support system that lasted throughout the program. Everyone had something unique to bring to the table; from living with a welcoming and loving host family, to learning Portuguese, to hiking jungles, boating in caves, picking strawberries and planting trees, EIL's Brazil program is an experience that you do not want to miss out on. I am a 2014 alumni who is still in contact with my host family as well as my fellow Experimenters - the bonds you make on this program will last you a lifetime. You will fall in love with Brazil, as well as the Experiment - this program changed my life and defined who I am today. I give EIL my highest recommendation!

I loved it - but maybe a longer orientation before diving into the homestay.

The Experiment in International Living provides 3-, 4-, and 5-week summer programs for high school students who want to connect deeply and engage meaningfully with the richness and complexities of another country.

Programs equip students not only with essential cultural and, in many cases, language