VISIONS British Virgin Islands Volunteer Programs

VISIONS British Virgin Islands Volunteer Programs

VISIONS offers teenagers opportunities for ambitious service work and cross-cultural immersion in the United States and abroad. We work with and for intercultural communities that lack financial and other development resources. Through service, authentic experience, and active exploration, we encourage new perspectives and dynamic learning.

The BVI are paradises of white sand beaches and turquoise-blue waters. Until the 1960s there were few paved roads, fewer tourists, and only a dirt landing strip for airplanes. Wisely, the BVI planned carefully for tourism, avoiding high rise casinos and an influx of cruise ships.

After working on the island for 25 years, VISIONS groups are part of a cultural scene that includes steel drum sessions and cooking island foods with local people whose Afro-Caribbean roots date back to the Atlantic slave trade. of the 1500s. Service projects include everything from work on an organic farm to building playgrounds and homes to working with local kids.

North America » British Virgin Islands
The shorter session runs from June 30 to July 9, and the longer session from July 13 to August 2. Tuition includes everything but airfare.

Darren
blade5071

One of the best summers

I've done the three week program to the British Virgin Islands, and it is a lifetime accomplishment that i will always look back at to admire. At first I was hesitant about going and stepping out of my comfort zone, but my parents pushed me and I left there thankful they did so. You experience a new culture of living, food and friends. To me the biggest one was friends, because you develop such a strong bond. Leaving the place broke my heart because we came so far from strangers to best friends, and it was a challenge letting go. This program is most definitely worth it, but be prepared to say goodbye because its difficult. If your worried about safety, the leaders they have there are some of the most trained and profound individuals i've ever met. They're some of the finest role models I've ever worked with. All in all, this is the best summer program out there!

Nothing, best experience

Terry
Buffalo, NY

Fabulous experience

My son loved the Visions BVI program. He had fun, made friends, learned skills and helped people. He built steps, made furniture for an orphanage, painted at the Botanical Gardens and more.

After "work," the participants got to enjoy snorkeling, beach time, a festival and all the island had to offer. My son's favorite recreational experiences were learning to scuba dive and visiting The Baths.

Allie
Brooklyn, NY

Visions BVI is an amazing experience!

I went to the British Virgin Islands with Visions during 2011 and had a great time. It is awesome to do community service at any time, but being able to work with others in your group as well as in the community makes a big impact on your experience. The islands are beautiful and Visions offers a variety of different service adventures. I have made great friends and memories that I will always remember. It is an awesome program.

High-quality summer programs for teens who want to accomplish challenging projects and make lasting friendships. Through service work and cross-cultural living, VISIONS offers new perspectives and deep learning while assisting under-resourced communities. Our evenings and weekends are reserved for exploration and adventure. English, Spanish and