CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Shanghai, China – Chinese Language & Culture (Mandarin)

Study Abroad in China
Study Abroad in China

Advance your Mandarin language skills in Shanghai, the fast-paced global hub known for its futuristic skyscrapers and fascinating mix of multicultural influences.

You’ll spend most mornings in small and interactive Mandarin classes, studying the language at your own level with native instructors. The rest of your time is for fun and practicing your language skills – on local streets, expert-guided excursions, and with your Chinese host family as you prepare and share traditional meals, shop, relax, and learn local customs while joining in their daily routines.

College credits are available for this program.

Cindy

A once-in-a-lifetime experience

For those of you considering a high school study abroad program with CIEE, I definitely reccomend you to go for it and just do it. I was hesistant at first, but ended up having the best time of my life during my month in Shanghai, and I grew to love the city more and more each day. Living in another country really opens up your perspective on the world and other people, and I would not trade my experience for any other. I loved meeting other participants who were just as curious and eager to learn as I was, trying out delicious Chinese food (I miss getting cheap bubble tea everyday), traveling using Shanghai's developed subway system, going to touristy spots with beautiful scenery, and pretty much everything else about the program! After going back to America, truth be told, everything seemed like a downgrade compared to Shanghai - the food, the transportation system, etc. I still keep in touch with some of the participants, and we talk a lot about our memories together in Shanghai and how much we miss it. Do not be scared to get out of your comfort zone and try something new, because it will all be worth it in the end.

Some of the cultural activities could have been better organized, but the majority of them were interesting and fun to do.