• Spain

Program Details

Academic Year Fall Spring Summer
Host Family Hotel

Pricing

You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE! Our high-quality programs include tuition, housing, on-site airport pick-up, field trips and cultural activities, 24/7 on-site professional staff, and automatic iNext insurance.

Airfare is included on high school semester abroad programs.

Scholarship opportunities are available for high school summer programs.

There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Travel Insurance
Oct 05, 2021
Nov 20, 2019
0 travelers are looking at this program

Whether you’re perfecting your Spanish skills and flamenco dance moves in sunny Seville, living like a Spaniard in vibrant Madrid, relaxing on one of seven beaches in Barcelona, or exploring the biodiversity of the Mediterranean Sea in Palma de Mallorca, Spain should be at the top of your list for next summer!

The country has so much to offer like delicious foods, memorable landmarks, exciting architecture, and vibrant locals. Get an opportunity to try out your Spanish by going to local markets and cafes. For a real native experience, take a bike around the city of your choice to get a real feel of the land and take in the beauty of all the magnificent sites.

Program Highlights

• Cook an authentic Spanish meal with locals and new friends
  • See Spain’s most iconic sites and museums, including the Sagrada Familia cathedral in Barcelona, the Alhambra palace in Granada or the Prado museum in Madrid
  • Enjoy graffiti art, wall murals, and street performances
  • Gain a certificate of learning in to use in your resume
  • Play soccer and beach volleyball with the locals. Jump on in

Popular Programs

Spain beautiful buildings

Join us in Spain this summer! Grow your Spanish skills in a 4-week immersion program in Madrid, Barcelona or Seville, complete with a homestay and daily classes and cultural activities. Embark on a Marine Science adventure in the magical island of Palma de Mallorca. Enjoy all Spain has to offer from world-class gastronomy to historical sites and natural wonders.

Group picture in Spain

Spend a semester or a year in Spain and hone in your Spanish language skills! Placed in a local high school and homestay, you’ll live the everyday life of a Spanish teen and get to discover the country through weekend aways with your hosts or organized group excursions with other CIEE students.

Spain beaches

Perfect your Spanish skills and flamenco dance moves in sunny Seville! Combine language classes with cultural activities and excursions with other CIEE students for a gap experience to remember!

• 9-10 rating 66.23%
  • 7-8 rating 32.47%
  • 5-6 rating 1.3%
Grace

4 weeks in Alicante, Spain!

I had an incredible time in Alicante over the summer. I grew a lot in both personally, in my own independence, and in my Spanish-speaking skills. Alicante is incredible. The school where we attended classes was a 5-minute walk to the beach. Every afternoon there was some activity planned, like doing a city bike tour or beach volleyball, and every day it was different. On the weekends there would be bigger outings planned, such as spending a day visiting castles and waterfalls.
Alicante isn't a really well-known city, which was initially unappealing to me, but I think it was a better choice than a big city would've been. We had a weekend trip to Madrid, and I realized that being in a bigger city had a lot of potential for things to go wrong... a lot more theft and crime occurs in more prevalent cities.
The classes were intriguing and my professor was really fun and made class actually appealing. I liked that we not only learned about the language but also about the culture of the place we were staying in. Often, our afternoon activities would be catered to what we were learning about in class, which made my learning experience so fascinating. I'd taken 3 years of Spanish prior to the trip, (the requirement is at least 2) which I thought would suffice, but it really wasn't enough. A lot of the 40 kids on the program were nearly fluent, having spoken it from childhood. And instead of there being 4 different levels of class intensities as advertised, there were 3 classes: 2 for advanced kids and 1 for not-advanced, like me:). So for that reason I'd recommend 3+ years of Spanish unless you regularly speak it. Without a roommate with me in my host home, I would've had an extremely difficult time trying to communicate with my host mom. Having someone who also spoke English kept me sane when I didn't understand anything.
After class each day, you'd go home for lunch with your host family and take a siesta, which would be a couple hours of downtime, where you could really do whatever you wanted: do your homework, take a nap, watch Netflix, go to the beach, go shopping, etc. The siestas were some of my favorite times on the program because it gave me time to just chill out, especially when we had busy days, or do something with my friends. But I was really impressed with CIEE for the level of planning and preparedness they orchestrated for our afternoon activities and weekend outings. There would always be a perfect balance between downtime/free time and planned activities.

1) Request a roommate. I'm a bit more introverted, and I didn't think I would want a roommate, but having one made the trip SO much better. I always had someone to walk back to the house with after classes, and it made communication with Spanish speakers a lot easier when we could tag-team something we didn't understand. If you're super confident in your language skills, then you can go solo.
2) ALSO, don't book flights with FlightFox. CIEE will recommend it if you choose a group flight, but it is NOT WORTH IT. I was on an individual flight to JFK and then on a group flight to Madrid and then Alicante, but because of weather issues we were rerouted to Atlanta halfway to JFK, and I missed both my connections. I had to rebook the flights for full price, and wait 24 hours in JFK. I had even used the insurance that CIEE recommended (iNext), which says it covers that, but now it's November and we're still disputing the claims. So, moral of the story, don't use FlightFox. Book on your own. Unless you're really on a budget, because FlightFox will literally get the worst airlines ever. AirEuropa, what they booked me on, landed me not being passed by customs coming back to the US because they had put my name in wrong and said I was 19, not 16. Just... so bad. Another airline we went on refused to let a girl on our program board because the flight was full, yet she had bought a ticket... so she had to wait 16 hours for the next flight. Don't use FlightFox!! Save yourself the pain.
Robert

The Summer of a Lifetime

My time in Palma was a life-changing experience, and I would recommend it to anybody considering applying. The island is simply breathtaking and I found the locals to be extremely friendly. I remember one instance where a friend and I spoke with a woman for over a half hour who told us about some of the island's history and even showed us pictures of her family. My favorite experience was during El Día de San Juan, when I witnessed the craziest, most vibrant display of pyrotechnics I have ever seen from the Dimonis of the Correfoc. One thing I should note is that the program is very structured, so it may not be the number one choice for those looking for a largely flexible trip. All said, it was truly incredible and I wouldn't change a thing!

Make every moment count, because a month flies by.
Derek

The Best Experience I've Ever Had

This entire program was full of fun and informative learning! You get to explore a new region in the world as well as learn about specific topics in marine science, and completing work outside on research and projects in the classroom. I gained a lot from this program, in social skills, academic knowledge, and appreciation for our natural planet. I truly believe that you will not find any experience quite like studying abroad, especially with CIEE. Their staff are all really nice, and extremely helpful and responsive. They're also fun-loving! Please consider studying abroad with CIEE, they are one of the best companies for traveling and exploring the world! CIEE would ensure that your study abroad experience is the best it can be, and they work hard to bring unique opportunities to high school and college students!

Always, always, ALWAYS be open to new people. Making great friends is one of the best feelings while studying abroad, learning among people that you can relate with makes the experience so much better!
Jeristella

High School Summer Abroad in Alicante, Spain - Spanish Foodie Culture

I really enjoyed this program and highly recommend it. I loved learning about the Spanish culture. We went to class but it's not like a traditional class back home. The things we learned were fun and not boring We learned about Spanish gastronomy such as tapas, the mediterranean diet, Spanish culture such as sports and urban art, and a dash of Spanish language. It was very cool to be able to use what we learned in the classroom directly outside of the classroom wether at restaurants or interacting with the Spanish people.

Another thing I loved was being able to interact with younger Spanish people my age. I was able to practice and improve my Spanish by speaking to them. It was fun to meet and get to know them and their bubbly personalities.

It was also in this trip where I met some of the most amazing people. One of my purpose of coming to this trip was to form connections with others. I am so happy to say that I did form great connections with the people I met. I formed friendships with the members in my group and the Spanish kids we interacted with. I will never forget the memories I made with these people.

I also really liked our program leader and program coordinator. Shoutout to Manu and Yesenia. They were so fun and approachable. I could not ask for better leaders than these guys.

I am so grateful to have been given the opportunity to go on this trip. It's pretty safe to say that this summer in Spain has been one of the best moments of my life yet. I cannot wait to be back and continue exploring Spain and its marvelous culture.

I really liked the cooking lesson we had with the Spanish chef. To improve this program, CIEE should add more cooking classes that focus on variety of Spanish cuisines from tapas to paellas and such. This being a Spanish foodie program, it should contain more activities focused on gastronomy and food such as again cooking classes and food factories.
Laney

A month in Palma

My month in Palma was an amazing and unique experience for one main reason. I was able to step outside of my comfort zone and learn something new about myself. On this trip, I was able to meet new friends that I will keep in touch with for a long time. Something that made me step outside my comfort zone was "Misión Ñ". For this, you have to go out into the community and talk with locals. I do not like talking to strangers that much, and it was especially hard in a language I am not great at. Doing this made me learn that it is not as hard as I would make it seem, and the locals will be happy because they see you as something trying to fit in, trying to learn a new language. This was an amazing experience that I am so glad I had to opportunity to do.

Work you hardest and don't be afraid to make mistakes.
Sofia

In love with Sevilla

My experience studying abroad in Sevilla was extraordinary. I had the most amazing year of my entire life. The relationships I created were incredible, and I know I will hold onto them forever. The American and Spanish friends I made on this program are who I call my best friends. Going to a Spanish school was such a gift in my opinion because you are exposed to a new culture and language while going to school which I think is crazy awesome! I thought my host family was amazing and while I was abroad I was fortune to do traveling with them around Europe which was super cool. I feel like CIEE was a great support system throughout my entire time abroad and I always felt safe and that I had someone to talk to when I needed it. Sevilla is a gorgeous city and I feel so lucky to have call it my second home. The cultural experience you will get is awesome. I experienced events such as Feria, Semana Santa, and Carnival which I never would have experienced in the US. There was never a dull moment through my study abroad experience and I feel like I really immersed myself into the culture. My spanish level increased tremendously and I grew to absolutely adore the language. There is not one day that goes by where I do not think about Sevilla. I have become so much more confident, globally aware, independent, and sure of myself because of this program! Know there will be hard parts and you will miss home but think about how great of an oppurtunity it is that you are there, and that each day it gets better and better. Enjoy it while it lasts! I HIGHLY recommend.

Gabriela

Going Abroad in Seville

My parents at first were very concerned when they first heard about my acceptance into CIEE high school summer abroad. I have never been out of the country before, and this was huge for me. After discussing things through with the staff, I was positive CIEE would be there to help my family and I every step of the way.
Going abroad was amazing, and truly an experience I will never forget, CIEE always planned fun activities while also incorporating the educational part of the program for anyone to get the most out of it. They were also very generous with scholarships, and gave me an 80% scholarship based on academic merit. Also, the college credit program has definitely helped me get some credits out of the way and I'm very glad. For anyone who is on the line about this program - I say to go for it! You never know, and it will be an experience you will never forget!

N/A
Kaitlyn

Living My Greatest Life in Spain

This CIEE program impacted me because I had the chance to test the boundaries of my comfort zone. In order to be successful, you have to step outside of your comfort zone. It is all about experiencing things that make you nervous and uncomfortable. These feelings are also felt when you chase your dreams, and in order to chase my dreams, I had to leave my comfort zone.
Leaving my comfort zone means gaining cultural appreciation and the realization that no two places in the world are the same. Every city, state, or country has something special and unique. Experiencing different cultures and ways of life are blessings because they allow me to live a lifestyle different than the ones I’ve previously experienced. This CIEE program impacted my college experience because it gave me a better sense of appreciation for what the world has to offer and likewise it will open my eyes to the diversity and indescribable beauty of places I’ve never been.
This CIEE program did not only impact my college experience, but it helped me in my future career plans. After graduating Concordia University of Wisconsin with a Master’s degree in Occupational Therapy and a minor in Spanish, I plan on making my mark in the world by using my experiences and knowledge to make a difference in the lives of others. Spanish will be useful since I plan to live abroad in a Spanish-speaking country and practice there. With the knowledge I have of culture minorities, I will be able to successfully practice in a way that doesn’t offend my clients. Helping people is a characteristic that I learned as a child. It gives me a sense of belonging, pride, and accomplishment. It is my obligation to give back, and this is one way that I will be able to share my knowledge with the world and truly make a difference. During this experience, I met so many new people from all around the United States as well as Spain. I’m very fortunate to have been able to take my family back to Spain to show them the city I studied abroad in. It was a beautiful thing for me to have been able to witness. As far as my favorite memory, it would have to be when we took a bus trip to Aracena and ended up jumping off of a bridge into a river while we kayaked and enjoyed the Spanish siesta time. I was terrified to jump, but with my new friends, we all jumped and it was such a fun memory! I haven’t ever had a feeling of adrenaline like that. I absolutely enjoyed every second that I spent in Spain.

The program was amazing, it was just really hard to travel for our excursions and really to make close friends. There were so many people in my specific program (about 50), so it was very crowded all the time.