• Germany

Program Details

Academic Year Fall Spring Summer
Dormitory Host Family

Pricing

You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE! Our high-quality programs include tuition, housing, on-site airport pick-up, field trips and cultural activities, 24/7 on-site professional staff, and automatic iNext insurance.

Airfare is included on high school semester abroad programs.

Scholarship opportunities are available for high school summer programs.

There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Travel Insurance
Jan 06, 2022
Aug 04, 2022
2 travelers are looking at this program

There’s never a dull moment in the dynamic city of Berlin. Here you can be part of the cutting-edge cultural scene while practicing and perfecting your language skills in one of Europe’s most popular hot spots for creativity, innovation, and international study. Watching Harry Potter and NCIS in German with your homestay. Grabbing currywurst on the run. Visiting the Berlin Wall and the Brandenburg Gate. Bonding with exchange students from five different continents. These are just a few memories you might share with fellow alums.

CIEE offers you a chance to study in the lively German culture either for the summer or a full high school semester! Not a high school student? Not a problem. We also offer a Gap year program in Berlin. Regardless of where you go — whether in the center of Berlin or outside city limits — you’ll develop your German language skills through both coursework and conversations with the locals.

This program is currently not being promoted on Go Overseas by its provider. Check with CIEE Global Navigator for the most up-to-date information regarding the status of this program.

Program Highlights

• Walk one of the last remaining stretches of the Berlin Wall still in place at the East Side Gallery – the longest open-air art gallery in the world
  • Visit the German Bundestag (parliament) and watch the decision making of the politicians through the glass roof (Global Entrepreneurship program)
  • Gain a certificate of learning in to use in your resume
  • Spend a day at Zoologischer Garten, the most visited zoo in Europe

• 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Abigail

CIEE in Berlin!

This was a very memorable experience and I am very grateful I got to study in a different country! As for a review of the program, there will be lots of walking so be prepared!! Definitely ask as many questions and join preparation meetings before the program because it really helps. Due to weather the schedule they gave us can change so just be open-minded and just enjoy whatever is planned. During the program, we do community conversations, and most if not all days feel long so it does get tiring, but I would say just enjoy all the time you have. You get a lot of free time so make the most and appreciate your host family :)! Have fun and make friends.

Pros
  • Meeting People/Being Independent
  • Learning and Improving in the Language
  • Actually living with German families
Cons
  • Out of Comfort Zone
  • Lots of Smoking in the City
  • Lots of Walking :) :(
Xiu Ti

CIEE- Summer in Germany

Spending my time immersing myself in the Germany culture and language was definitely not my go-to option as to how I wanted to spend my summer. I wanted to go to the more "popular" European countries, the ones that are romanticized like Italy, France, England, or Greece. However, the one month I spent there was one of the best months I've ever spent anywhere. The people I've met through this program from the teachers to my host family to the friends I've made on this trip have been some of the most supportive people I know. I've always been a travel person, wanting to one day travel the world and going to Germany made me want to solidify that goal so much more. I fell in love with the German culture and language and would definitely recommend this program. Whether you just want to immerse yourself in a different culture, find a different setting to clear your mind or gain some experience under your belt, it's worth it.

Allow participants to answer more questions so the program can best match them to the most suitable host family because host families play such a big role in part of one's experience in the country.
Kathleen

A Summer in Berlin

My Summer trip to Berlin was definitely a highlight of my life! It was scary traveling with a large group of strangers, but we all had the interests of entrepreneurship and travel in common, and many of us clicked right away! The combination of a city with intense history and a classroom setting in which we learned about a topic we enjoyed was phenomenal! Personally, I got a lot out of this trip because I got to meet someone within our group with the same sexuality as myself, and I briefly experienced the accepting culture of Berlin at a Pride celebration. Overall, my summer abroad has shaped who I am and who I will be: it made me more confident in myself, and sparked a passion for business endeavors now and in the future.

Chandler

Trip to remeber

My experince on this trip was nothing but amazing! Exploring Berlin and the outskirts of Germany was just one piece of the cake. Other things involved us talking to locals, and local business people. There were lots of fun things like taking weekend trips to a city in the outskirts of Germany that was filled with cobblestone roads and the most beatiful sunsets I’ve ever seen. I can still remeber the taste of currywurst from the street venders and how we and my newly found friends would walk two blocks too our new favorite coffee shop “no need for fancy names.” Each day was something new and made an everlasting imprint on my lives and i’m sure everyones elses. Even after the trip I still talk to the friends I met in Germany. Even though we are scattered across the country we still skype and even send each others gifts.

Looking back on the trip there isnt much I would change. Each experince was real and lead insight on how a different culture lives
Arun

living in berlin

I had an amazing experience on my CIEE program, from an amazing team of staff, teachers, and awesome host families, the fun felt like it could never stop! I am unable to take german classes in my home town so thanks to this program i was able to learn a lot about a language i love! My host mom constantly went out of her way to better my day! From waking me up with a pleasant good morning and a cup of tea, to bring snacks to me and my friends as we studied in my room. Over the four weeks Sabine easily became my favorite part of Berlin, she made me feel so incredibly welcome and my hope is that everyone will have hosts like Sabine, because there’s nothing better than that.

my only suggestion is more thoroughly checking host parents, some of my friends had troubles.
Response from CIEE Global Navigator

Hi Arun, thank you for your review. We’re so glad that you enjoyed your summer program with us! Your feedback is very important and helps us improve our students’ experiences abroad. Staying with host families is an important part of our programs and often remains the highlight of our participants experience. CIEE staff vets all host families through a rigorous screening process and orientation. Sometimes, adjusting to a new family environment/dynamic can be a challenge, so we will make sure that the lines of communication stay open and clear for all students and families so we can mediate a comfortable program for all!

Elizabeth

A Turning Point in My Life

I've never thought I would be lucky enough to travel abroad, let alone in Europe. Thanks to the scholarship CIEE gave me, which I am undyingly grateful for, I was able to experience what it was like to be in Berlin. It's almost been an exact year since the visit and I still scroll through my photos or look in my album, and keep in contact with friends and host family from the program. CIEE gave me the opportunity to see into my future, and I'm now preparing to go to college in Germany thanks to the downright positive experience that was studying abroad. CIEE is wonderful for people hesitant on studying abroad, they are very supportive and generous, and I wouldn't trade my experience for anything in the world.

My only wish was having access to the bikes in the program sooner, but other than that it was perfect.
Amanda

Summer in Berlin

The summer i soent in berlin was amazing. I met so many people and learned so much about german culture. Traveling since then has been my passion and i have gone to minor in german at my college. German has become such a big part of my life now. I continue to talk about my trip and share pictures with my friends. If i had the money i would go back in an instant. I an excited to study abroad during my forth year of school and now hope to work abroad, in Germany.

Longer!!
Asha

10 1/2 Months in Germany

Although my time in Germany is not quite finished, I have already experienced so much. From meeting my host family after orientation in Frankfurt, going to my Gymnasium in Germany on the first day, learning how to navigate public transportation, going on vacation with my host family (Borkum in October and London in May), sharing American Thanksgiving with them, meeting up with other exchange students in Wiesbaden and Cologne, spending the holidays surrounded by German traditions (like Plätzchen backen and Weihnachtsmärkte), ringing in the new year in another country, saying goodbye to semester students, going to a castle light festival with a friend, going on a mini European road trip through the Netherlands, Germany, and Austria with my family when they visited me in April, and getting to explore Prague for the first time with forty other exchange students, my year has been packed with tons of new experiences. Due in large part to my host family, I have always felt comfortable and safe in Germany. Being immersed in the German language and culture for this last year has benefitted me in many ways. I know that when I get back to the U.S. I will miss Germany like crazy. Participating in this program through CIEE has taught me so many important things and I know that these memories will stay with me my entire life. It's a good thing that pictures and memories don't take up much space in suitcases, otherwise I'd have to spend even more money than I already have buying souvenirs and gifts this year to send them back to the States!