The people of the Czech Republic are among some of the most open-minded in central Europe. Their capital city, Prague, is world-renowned for its support of contemporary artists and intellectuals. Outside of Prague, Bohemia is a wonderful countryside full of farms, forests, ponds, fairy-tale villages and rustic hills sheltering castles.
While living with a host family and experiencing the friendly hospitality of a Czech family, you’ll be sure to learn the ins-and-outs of everyday Czech life. Plus, by attending a highly competitive local high school called a “Gymnazium,” you’ll have the opportunity to experience Czech language immersion! The Czech Republic is an ideal place to step outside of your comfort zone, become a cultural insider, and engage in an exciting new adventure.
- Immerse yourself in the Czech language – the best way to become fluent.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Live with a host family to deepen your immersion and connection to Czech culture. If you’re like most AFSers, you won’t want to leave this second family and home.
- Indulge in the delicious Czech cuisine, which has German, Hungarian, and Polish influences, including lots of dumplings!
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships
The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study abroad students.