High School Medical Immersion Fellowships in Europe and South America

The Atlantis Medical Immersion Fellowship is a competitive physician shadowing program with placements in Europe or South America during summer (June-August).

Shadow doctors for 15+ hours/week in Europe or South America for 3 weeks this summer. Immerse yourself in a new culture along with other high-achieving students who are also passionate about healthcare. Get a competitive edge on college applicants by getting unique, international experience in healthcare!

• Rotate through different specialties to gain exposure to various medical practices and procedures.
  • Join our Fellowships to make the most of your winter or summer - no need to take time off during your semesters!
  • Immerse yourself in a fellowship abroad to understand healthcare in a global context, and embark on weekly excursions to experience a new culture, sights, and food.
  • Join a network of accomplished Atlantis Fellows and doctors from around the world.
  • Discern if medicine is the right path for you, while growing personally and professionally abroad.

Charlotte

Atlantis fellowship in Hospital in Zagreb Croatia,

This past month I have had the opportunity to shadow OBGYN, ER/General Surgery OR, Oncology, and Pediatrics with my Atlantis fellowship program in the Sisters of Charity Hospital here in Zagreb. This program has given me the experience of a lifetime, and I have learned and seen more than I ever imagined I would.

My first week in OBGYN was very inspirational. We saw tons of births, both natural and through C section, and each time I was amazed and overwhelmed with how beautiful it is to see life coming into the word. I’ve always had an interest in this field of medicine, but now my passion for it has grown exponentially and I could really see myself pursuing this career. We got very close to these doctors, visited them each week exchanged emailed and numbers, and now one of them is actually coming to visit the states next month and asked me to reach out to her to meet up. This connection is incredible, and she said that one day if I am a doctor to reach out to her again. This support is like nothing I've ever experienced in the states.

The second week my partner and I were in the ER, and General Surgery OR. I found myself thrilled to watch various surgeries including hip replacements, mastectomies, and even a 6 hour long cytoreductive procedure removing tumors from the all over the abdominal cavity. I literally lost count how many procedures we saw, it was the most exposure I've ever had in an OR. The surgeons and anesthesiologists were so kind and interactive with me because my partner and I showed so much interest. We got to see absolutely incredible procedures, things that only residents would have the opportunity to observe in the states because of how competitive it is in the US. It is life changing to see the inside of a body beating with a pulse right before your eyes.

The next week we were in Oncology which was a great learning experience. I learned so much about cancer, chemotherapy, and the chemistry behind the drugs they use. They are very brave to work in this field because they really are fighting for their patients lives. This week showed me that all of the pre med classes I have taken in school really do come in handy and are applicable to the real world. Who knew I would be thrilled to share my knowledge of biochemistry and organic chemistry when learning about the chemotherapy drugs.
The final week we were in pediatrics, specifically the gastro department of pediatrics. This hospital has the center for eating disorders, so most of our patients were younger teenage kids who suffered from eating disorders. This week was very eye opening and gave me such a strong sense of compassion for these kids. We learned a great deal about the effects on the body these eating disorders cause, a topic I had never learned much about in school. We got to witness the most vulnerable patient interaction which was very inspiring.

I’m so thankful for what this program has shown me and taught me, and thankful for the support my friends and family give me to pursue my dream career.

I think this program was incredible, but it was also a result of me and my partner's eagerness to learn and ambitious attitude to ask more questions. I think it's important for kids to be prepared for this type of independence because a few of the kids in my program complained and were negative about how they didn't think they got enough exposure in OR's or complained that they just sat and did nothing, but its so so important to take your experience into your own hands. They expected our site directors to hold their hand the whole time leading them through everything, but my partner and I have had previous shadowing experiences and knew that we had to be very proactive and eager to learn in order to get the every most out of every second. I think the best way to help other students have as great of an experience that I had would be to prepare them for this type of attitude and independence they will need in order to get the most out of the experience.
Payton

Atlantis Review

This was such an amazing experience for me, it was definitely a culture shock but it made me interested in the different health care aspects of each country. There was a language barrier but the doctors were really nice so they tried their best to make each fellow comfortable. I would liked to have had more time observing orthopedics but I learned what I definitely do not want to do in the medical field. I wish we were at the public hospital for more than only one day but I saw the difference of the care in both the private and public. I loved our site managers and all of the excursions we went on. It was overall a great experience that I would not have been able to have over here in the United States especially being a highschool student.

More options on locations and preference of type of hospitals
profile
Savannah

A great experience both in and out of the hospital and I was able to immerse myself in the Spanish culture!

I had originally planned to attend the Harvard Pre-College Summer Program this past summer; however financial restrictions left me unable to attend. I stumbled upon The Atlantis Fellowship online and immediately applied without thinking I would actually be accepted. The interview went very well, and the Atlantis team kept touch with me after providing me and my family with adequate information to make the decision to move on with the fellowship - all of our questions were answered and traveling across the world by myself seemed much less scary.

Throughout the fellowship, I never stopped learning, whether it be in the hospital, around the town of Tomelloso, or on excursions. The hospital staff were extremely open to teaching, and my passion for medicine was greatly heightened. I learned about many procedures and medications, and I was even able to practice stitches on a cloth! The town and excursions allowed me to absorb the culture of Spain. Because of Atlantis, I feel more prepared in beginning my medical career and I hope to attend another fellowship in the future.

About Atlantis

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) was founded in 2007, and our mission is to equip future healthcare leaders to pursue their callings passionately. Since then, our programs have expanded to include global hospital partners across...