Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Portugal, Hungary, and More.

Last night in Pécs with Atlantis fellows
Last night in Pécs with Atlantis fellows
Weekend trip to Budapest with Atlantis fellows
Weekend trip to Budapest with Atlantis fellows
Pécs city center with Atlantis fellows
Pécs city center with Atlantis fellows
View from the ferry to Hydra!
View from the ferry to Hydra!
Scrubbed in for surgery!
Scrubbed in for surgery!
Day trip touring Trieste
Day trip touring Trieste
Atlantis

Shadow doctors 20+ hours/week in Europe with Atlantis: 1.5-6 week programs during winter and summer breaks.

Atlantis has been providing university students in healthcare-related fields with the opportunity to gain clinical experience in hospitals in Europe since 2007. We are committed to the safety of our students, and are constantly working to maximize the educational value of our programs.

• Rotate through different specialties to gain exposure to various medical practices and procedures.
  • Join our programs to make the most of your winter or summer - no need to take time off during your semesters!
  • Immerse yourself in a program abroad to understand healthcare in a global context, and embark on weekly excursions to experience a new culture, sights, and food.
  • Join a network of accomplished Atlantis Alumni and doctors from around the world.
  • We also have programs to help students prepare for the MCAT.

The application is mostly basic information such as name, address, GPA. major, etc. You also choose your top three locations for shadowing (out of a large list) and from there you will be scheduled for a phone interview. I hope this helps!
I believe that it is very helpful. You learn so much over there that it can change your life. Also, you get to have a medical school application seminar while in Greece. This helped me learn a lot about applying.
You can find a breakdown of the program fees here: http://www.atlantis-project.org/dates-and-fees/. Hope that helps!
They have a post-grad alumni internship that you can apply to in Washington D.C.! Here's the link: http://www.atlantis-project.org/alumni/

Roberto

Matosinhos

This was a great program for reinforcing one’s desire to be in the medical field. Anything from a physician, to a orthopedic surgeon, to an anesthesiologist; there are many opportunities to get to know someone in these fields and other fields and get their perspective on how they completed their schooling, if and why they enjoy what they do, and to ultimately get a different point of view of medicine than one’s own in their country of residence. It also an experience that allows a person to grow in a different environment - whether with the group members from different cities and backgrounds to the new and unfamiliar country and its’ customs to being exposed to a day-to-day life of a medical professional within a hospital setting. Great time.

Be ready to accept that where your program is will be different than your country of origin. Different foods, different customs, different day-to-day routines. One must accept this to enjoy it fully.
Hannah

Atlantis- World Traveler Program

Atlantis is hands down one of the best things I have ever done. I loved the places I visited, the doctors I shadowed, the medical and cultural knowledge I gained, the life-long friendships I developed, and so much more. I have definitely grown as a person and student and learned so much about medicine through my fellowship! I also learned how to overcome language barriers with other people which will help in the medical field when I have patients without the same language. It was great to see other cultures and as a World Traveler, I was able to compare the health care systems and cultures of different countries not just to the United States but to each other as well! I am so grateful for Atlantis and I definitely think it helps to prepare fellows to be the best and most well-rounded health care professionals they can be.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I got to see a leg amputation in Lithuania which I definitely did not expect to get the opportunity to see. It was so cool and solidified my interest in orthopedics or anything that has to do with bones to be honest!
Matthew

Life-Changing Experience!!

Going on a fellowship to Zagreb, Croatia for 3 weeks was one of the best decisions in my professional career! I have gained priceless skills and professional connections while on this fellowship from the doctors/surgeons during shadowing hours to the colleagues that I met during the fellowship. This experience has enlightened me in culture diversity, adapting to new environments, confirming that I am going to become a surgeon by watching surgeries everyday during my first rotation in ENT, and how different other countries health care systems are/how they operate. During the free time on the weekends my colleagues and I decided to travel to Split and Budapest and this enhanced the fellowship immensely by being able to experience the old towns by the sea and seeing a whole different culture in Budapest than from Zagreb. I highly encourage you to travel to near by cities or countries during this free time on the weekends and to apply to Atlantis to complete their fellowship program! It was the best decision in my professional career and I would do it all over again if I could.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Honestly, the only thing that I would change would be to pick a longer fellowship time frame. I selected the 3 week fellowship but I would have picked the 6 week fellowship because it would have allowed me to be emerged into the culture and the medical setting longer.
Robert

Everyone Should Try Atlantis!

This experience was unbelievable. The amount of in depth preparation by Atlantis was outstanding. When I left America to come on this fellowship, I didn’t know what to expect. I thought it would either be a regular shadowing gig with some traveling, or I thought it would be life changing. It was the latter. Literally from day one of shadowing to the last day of shadowing I enjoyed every second of it. All of the doctors were super helpful and they genuinely seemed glad to have us there. I learned so much and now I honestly have a lot more ideas as to what kind of physician I want to be in the future. The traveling is an awesome part as well though. I got to experience European healthcare along with European culture. My name is Robert Castle I would recommend Atlantis to anyone!

Bring an extra towel!! Just kidding but not really! Honestly though, just keep an open mind and try to really enjoy yourself!
Emily

Ideal for Pre-Meds seeking international experience

Atlantis gave me such a valuable experience in my path to medicine. I shadowed for over 85 hours in 4 different departments (OBGYN, pediatrics, general surgery, and emergency department). The town of Szekesfehervar, Hungary is filled with kind, welcoming, and humble people and the hospital was no different. Atlantis always made a great effort to make all of the fellows feel safe, welcomed, and comfortable with the experience. The Site Managers were Hungarian natives and were absolutely fabulous to spend time with. The cultural experience that comes along with the hospital shadowing was challenging and rewarding. The program was the perfect combination of experiential learning, cultural immersion, and free time to travel and explore. I made lasting connections with the other fellows on my program, and that has given me such a valuable network of other pre-med students across the U.S. I'm so thankful that I learned so much about medicine, Hungary, and cultural competence through the Atlantis Fellowship!

Courtney

Atlantis helped me have the best summer

My program was 4-weeks in Lisbon, Portugal.
4 weeks full of shadowing at the largest hospital in the entire country (so we got the coolest cases from all over Portugal and even Africa!) from the following specialties: plastic surgery, vascular surgery, psychiatry, and orthopedic surgery.
4 weeks full of traveling on the weekends with fellows that I can confidently say they are lifelong friends now. I went up and down the coast of Portugal, experienced a culture unlike any other during the World Cup, and went surfing for the first time.
4 weeks living in seriously a BEAUTIFUL apartment. Surrounded by all the fellows. We each had our own studio apartment that was brand new. Pool, rooftop deck, workout room, conveniently located, etc.
There's so much more to say about this program that I can't put into a paragraph, but sign up for Atlantis to gain a wider perspective on medicine and learn things you honestly can't get in your university classroom. and for an irreplaceable summer!

Nianiella

A one of a kind experience

Atlantis provided me with an opportunity to expand my knowledge and appreciation for healthcare. It was my second time going overseas and my first time experiencing a different kind of medical system. While it was challenging in the beginning, I gained a lot from the experience. At first it was nerve wracking trying to determine what language and cultural barriers would be in place that would inhibit my learning. After the first few days, all nerves were set aside because the language and culture (while different) just provided a new way of observing healthcare. When I could not understand what was happening with my ears, I would use my eyes to observe body language, facial expressions, etc. in order to figure out what was happening. Later on the doctor would explain what happened. I learned how to effectively observe a situation and deduce relationships and emotions from them. I would recommend this experience to anyone interested in medicine and/or has an interest in cultural competency. Atlantis allowed me to observe and interact with a culture that was otherwise unknown to me. It helped me gain a better understanding and appreciation for the many unique lifestyles in the world.

Marissa

Ecuador Service Fellowship 2018

My Atlantis fellowship was so valuable. It gave me an opportunity to witness first hand medicine in a new culture and learn from doctors there. Medicine in every culture is different so understanding the differences in medical practice was so interesting. I gained an understanding of the hospital and foundation as a whole. Living in another country was so empowering and helped me with personal development. I was sad to leave our fellowship and would go back if I had the chance.

Wesley

Atlantis Review: Portugal (closest country to Spain)

This Organization does a Phenomenal job of organizing, prepping and equipping you with everything you need to attend their programs. I personally enjoyed the location I chose in Portugal. The Country was beautiful the Site manager I had was fantastic, and everyone that chose the same location as me were amazing. The Shadowing that I got there was incredible and honestly nothing like you would ever experience in the US. All of the doctors that I shadowed with were extremely helpful and were very willing to work with us with the langage barrier. There is plenty of free time to actually explore and experience the country and the weekends are times to travel. I got to Travel to Lisbon, the capital, and spend time there exploring. I'm so happy with this program and would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking to shadow and want to travel.

Angel

Shadowing, Montevideo, Uruguay

This experience was life changing it made a HUGE difference in my academic life as well as my personal life. It taught me professionalism and interaction with patients in a doctor aspect. The staff in the hospital were loving and accepting and had the will to teach. The site managers were amazing, kind and fun! Paola and Joaquin Are the Best! There was always something new to learn and that what made it spontaneous and exciting! Im definitely going to do it again! SIGN ME UP

N/A
Amira

My Experience in Hungary

In November of 2017, I saw a flyer for the Atlantis Fellowship and was immediately intrigued. For the longest time, I had been searching for a summer opportunity to combine my two passions: medicine and traveling. Ultimately, I chose this fellowship because it offered an unparalleled opportunity to travel abroad, learn about the health care system in another country, interact with and learn from physicians, and solidify my desire of pursuing a career in medicine. I cannot explain the excitement I felt when I learned we would be given the opportunity to witness two autopsies. There are no words to describe the appreciation I felt for mothers upon witnessing three natural births and one C-section. And there is no textbook that can explain the ins and outs of public health care as well as an individual who has been given first hand experience. I recommend this to anyone and everyone who is interested in anything related to healthcare, who wants to push their comfort zones, and is hungry for a life-changing opportunity.

I would just recommend bettering communication between hospital staff, site managers, and students, as well as informing fellows of possible excursions beforehand so as to prepare them for what to pack.
Natalie

Wonderful Medical Fellowship in Ecuador

Ever since the age of 8, I have aspired to become a neonatal doctor. After my first year of university, Atlantis offered me my first step in the direction of achieving this dream by shadowing physicians in all specialties, including neonatal, pediatrics, radiology, surgery, and many more, in a hospital in Ecuador. This unique program aligns perfectly with my plans of studying medical anthropology and has only further peaked my interest in the medical field.

Kaitlyn

Atlantis Fellowship: Lisbon. Best Experience of my Life.

I had been abroad previously and was looking to study again, but also obtain clinical experience. The Atlantis Fellowship not only provided me that, but exceeded my expectations in ways I did not believe possible. This program is unlike any other and I truly believe I will be a better doctor in the future because of it. There is something so special about being able to completely immerse yourself in another culture while also experiencing another country's healthcare system. I learned so much about Portugal's healthcare system and was able to compare it to my own, which is vital when going into the field of medicine. In addition, the fellowship's ability to let its fellows shadow many different specialities gave me a better insight and understanding of what kind of doctor I want to become. I am so incredible thankful for this opportunity and highly recommend Lisbon! Lisbon was so safe, fun, and honestly I have a hard time putting into words just how unique and beautiful the city was. The three weeks went by so fast, I could have stayed there for eight! I made lasting friendships with not only the other fellows, but the staff as well! All of the site managers in Lisbon were absolutely lovely and so helpful. I will remember this experience for my entire life, I highly recommend the Atlantis Fellowship!

Logan

Healthcare Study Abroad Trip

My 2018 Healthcare Study Abroad Trip to Lithuania was by far, the best study abroad experience ever. I was able to learn about an unfamiliar Eastern European country, shadow
numerous health care professionals at a University Hospital, observe different surgeries, build life-long professional connections, learn about patient-centered health care, travel to different countries along the baltic sea, and finally, make ever-lasting memories with great people!

NA!
Lauren

Extraordinary

Being Pre-Med can be scary because you're going into the unknown with very little experience. It's not easy to get internships at hospitals; we have very strict laws in the U.S. regarding patient confidentiality and safety. Going to Portugal and working closely with doctors and standing in on surgeries was life-changing. I witnessed multiple brain surgeries with tumor removals and biopsies. I came out of my trip more enthralled by the medical field than I ever had before.

n/a

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Atlantis

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) was founded in 2007, and our mission is to equip future healthcare leaders to pursue their callings passionately. Since then, our programs have expanded to include global hospital partners across...