Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Spain, Italy, Greece, and More.

Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Spain, Italy, Greece, and More.

Shadow doctors 20+ hours/week in Europe or Latin America through the Atlantis Fellowship: 1.5-8 week Fellowships during winter or summer breaks.

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) has been providing university students in healthcare-related fields with the opportunity to gain clinical experience in hospitals in Europe and Latin America since 2007. We are committed to the safety of our Fellows, and are constantly working to maximize the educational value of our programs.

(We also have programs for MD candidates).

• Rotate through different specialties to gain exposure to various medical practices and procedures.
  • Join our Fellowships to make the most of your winter or summer - no need to take time off during your semesters!
  • Immerse yourself in a fellowship abroad to understand healthcare in a global context, and embark on weekly excursions to experience German culture, sights, and food.
  • Join a network of accomplished Atlantis Fellows and doctors from around the world.
  • We also have programs to help students prepare for the MCAT.
Europe » Spain
Age Requirement (18+)
Phone/Video Interview
Weekly Hours
Application Fee
Program cost varies based on location and length of program. Check out the "Scholarships" page on our website for more information.

The application is mostly basic information such as name, address, GPA. major, etc. You also choose your top three locations for shadowing (out of a large list) and from there you will be scheduled for a phone interview. I hope this helps!
I believe that it is very helpful. You learn so much over there that it can change your life. Also, you get to have a medical school application seminar while in Greece. This helped me learn a lot about applying.
You can find a breakdown of the program fees here: http://www.atlantis-project.org/dates-and-fees/. Hope that helps!
They have a post-grad alumni internship that you can apply to in Washington D.C.! Here's the link: http://www.atlantis-project.org/alumni/

David
San Jose, CA
University of San Francisco

Best experience of my life

While everyone's initial determining factor is the price tag that they see for the program location of their desire, let me tell you something, it's absolutely worth it. In the US, there are few and far in between of hospitals that allow shadowing of surgeons and physicians, and even fewer that allow you to be in the operating room seeing everything the medical providers see. You will never forget the first time you see an emergency C-section or the first time you actually know what the burning of human flesh from an electrocauterizer smells like. For those unsure of their career path in medicine, this is the best thing to figure out if the hospital life is for you. Follow physicians on their pt. care routines day in, day out for 20+ hours a week. I've worked as an EMT for almost 3 years and I still got more experience from 5 weeks at la Hospital del Río. Outside of the hospital, I got to experience a whole new world; sight-seeing, tourist attractions, restaurants, and cultural events that I will always remember. I even met people over there that I still talk to to this day to help keep my Spanish going and honestly, I intend to go back to go see them next year. Atlantis fulfilled their part of the deal in providing me the best pre-med fellowship experience I could have asked for.

More immediate responses from the administration side of the program, that's it. Well and lower price would be nice.

George
South Carolina
The Citadel

The Atlantis Experience in Kaunas, Lithuania

This was by far the best experience and decision I made during my college career. Not only did I get to meet a great group of friends from different schools, but I got to experience the Healthcare system of another country by directly interacting with doctors and other hospital employees. The Atlantis team was extremely prepared to handle our group, and they took excellent care of all of us. We went to local restaurants, had tours throughout the city and capitol and had a good amount of free time to spend exploring or finding awesome places throughout the country. I highly recommend this experience, and I really hope I can have another experience similar to this one...definitely life changing.

Miriam
Wheaton College

4-week Medical Internship in Teruel, Spain

Through the opportunities that were provided by Atlantis, I was able to shadow doctors of different specialties each week, watch surgeries, and learn some Spanish medical terminology. It was a challenging yet enriching experience for me, as I was able to learn more about myself and be reminded why I want to become a doctor. I was also able to connect with health professionals cross culturally through teaching in an English language tutoring program. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is looking to expand their perspective globally, both in their personal lives and in the health care field!

alexis
Davis, CA
University of California- Davis

Shadowing in Budapest, Hungary

I did a 4-week program in Budapest, Hungary and it was the highlight of my summer. It was my first time going abroad and shadowing. The hospital shadowing was very beneficial, although some departments were better than others. It was hard at times because of the language barriers and that no explanations were given during some shadowing shifts but its all part of the experience abroad. One day I was randomly placed in General surgery and got to shadow an anesthetist and he was very helpful in explaining his job, what he does at the hospital, and the schooling he had to accomplish. I felt that my site manager always had my best interest in mind when assigning me to my shifts. As much as i valued my shadowing time, I also enjoyed exploring the culture of Budapest. I felt that being in the same place for a month allowed me to get a feel for the the Hungarian way of life. Overall, this program rekindled my passion to work in medicine and I think it is a great experience for anyone pursing a career in the field!

Amanda
Manhattanville College

Shadowing In Barcelona

I would recommend this program to any student who is interested in a career in health care. Atlantis offers amazing opportunities. I spent a lot of time with the doctors. I was able to watch surgeries and learn the full process of what goes on in a doctor's daily shift at a hospital. I also learned so much about the culture of Barcelona in general. I met new people from different areas and because we are all going into similar fields, we got along very well. Being able to observe health care in a different county allowed me to compare and contrast it to the United States. The doctors really took the time to get to know their patients and never rushed them out; and this helped me realize the kind of doctor I want to be.

Jackie
Szekesfehervar, Hungary
Loyola Marymount University

Atlantis from an Alumni

Atlantis surpassed my all expectations. I grew personally and professionally through this unique experience that gives students the chance the shadow doctors abroad. Not only did I get to experience a new culture, but I got to do it while exploring my future profession. Students soak up so much knowledge of how healthcare systems work around the world and can bring that knowledge back to view our healthcare system in a different light. You are surrounded by people who are passionate about healthcare too, which creates an environment that allows students to excel in the limited time that they have in their new countries. I highly recommend Atlantis to anyone who is even slightly interested in pursuing a career in the healthcare field.

Chandler
University of California- Merced

Shadowing Doctors Abroad

My experience with Atlantis was so indescribable. I spent 3 weeks in Portugal shadowing Doctors and learning so much from them! Prior to the trip I thought that the language barrier would have been a major issue, but it was not at all because they all spoke English fairly well. It was also so much fun to go around to the different cities of Portugal and experience and learn about their culture. I also met amazing people who I believe will be great friends of mine for a long time. This experience was really life changing.

Transportation to and from the airport for the students

Claire
Illinois
Lawrence University

Fellow in Barcelona

This experience was a once in a life time one. I never thought I would be able to travel abroad as a pre-med student but this gave me the opportunity to do so over the summer. I was able to shadow doctors for 80 hours over the course of three weeks, while also traveling across the country and to other countries. I met so many amazing people, saw some outstanding surgeries (leg amputation was by far the most fascinating) , and really got to learn about the Spain culture. The excursions and exposure to medicine was amazing. If you have the expenses to pay for it, or are very good at fundraising it is a MUST. Would not have changed my 2017 summer.

The prices were a bit high for having to pay for our own plane tickets, and the restaurants we were taken to weren't the best. Finding better quality food or lowering the expense and having us find our own food I think would have been better at this location.

Sabrina

Shadowing doctors in Lisbon, Portugal!

I had the best time in Portugal! The hospital staff always made sure I was with someone who spoke well enough English and was eager to teach me. I was able to observe surgery right over the doctors shoulders, and everyone was excited to have me there. I learned to communicate with people who are different than me and I learned to be independent in a completely unfamiliar setting. Aside from the shadowing, the group meals and excursions provided by Atlantis gave us a chance to get to know each other. I was able to become friends with driven, like-minded people who I had a ton of fun with in our free time. Aside from the scheduled excursions, I also traveled with my roommates to other places in the country on the weekends. The education we were given, the freedom, and the guidance all made this the best travel/learning experience. The housing, food and hospitals were all top quality and the program coordinators were knowledgeable and accessible when we needed them.

Julianna
Fort Worth, TX
Texas Christian University

Atlantis- Montevideo, Uruguay

Participating in this program was truly a once in a lifetime opportunity that I would highly recommend to anyone interested in the medical field. The combination of medicine with an initially unfamiliar culture resulted in a variety of unique and irreplaceable memories. I was engulfed in clinical situations that I would never have experienced otherwise, and through this, I gained an immense amount of knowledge. In addition to the extraordinary clinical experiences, I had the freedom to travel to and explore other parts of South America, which was a plus! Throughout my entire time in Uruguay, the Atlantis staff was incredible in facilitating my needs and ensuring that I had the most fulfilling time abroad. This is a program that you definitely don't want to miss!

Nico
Lehigh University

An Italian Adventure

I completed a 3 week fellowship over the summer of 2017. To say the least, it was an amazing experience. Not only did I better myself by shadowing foreign medicine, I also got to experience an amazing culture. Along with that, the group leaders and other students on the trip were amazing. I met so many new people that impacted me in a variety of ways. I'll forever be thankful for the new friendships and experiences I made on my fellowship. I really believe that it changed me for the better, along with opening my eyes to a bunch of new opportunities.

None.

Kaitlyn
Dayton, OH
University of Dayton

Atlantis in Lisbon, Portugal

I spent four weeks this past summer in Lisbon, Portugal through Atlantis. I had heard wonderful things about the Fellowship through a roommate who had attended the previous summer. After looking further into it, it seemed like a perfect fit, since studying abroad had been nearly impossible as an exercise physiology/pre-med major. The application process was easy, and my admission decision came quite quickly. The staff I spoke with were all so friendly and made the process enjoyable. When deciding on attending the program, I had multiple options for locations and duration, which I also appreciated.
The trip was absolutely incredible, from the excursions, to the travel I was able to do on the weekends when we had days off. The experiences I had in the hospitals were also once in a lifetime. Although I came in knowing barely any Portuguese, I realized quickly that medicine is so universal, no matter what language you speak. Some of the doctors were so inviting and helpful in teaching us as much as they could during our time with them. Our site coordinators were also incredibly helpful and accommodating with each and every concern we had. Whenever we had an issue with housing or in the hospitals, they immediately did what they could to fix it. They took our feedback to heart, which was relieving.
The Atlantis Fellowship is now an experience I can speak to in my medical school interviews, and thus far, it has been a great speaking point when asked about the experience I have had throughout my college career. I am also now an alumni ambassador, which has been a great way to stay connected to Atlantis Project. It has been a pleasure getting other students interested in the medical field involved with this program.
Below I have attached some photos from my Fellowship. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

More scholarship options available would be wonderful. Housing situations could also be improved slightly.

Sara
Towson University

Greece fun

It was an amazing experience. I had the best time I got to see many different types of heart surgeries and hernia removals and liver removals. I also got to experience many different types of the greek culture and see the city. I got to also spend a lot of time in the ICU which was super cool because I got to see so many different things there. Mostly everything is provided to you as well. A place to stay, breakfast every day, dinner 4 times a week and excursions once a week. As well as transportation.

The housing situation was a little rough.

KATIE
Auburn University

Atlantis Project Milan Italy

Overall this was one of the best experiences of my life. I got to learn so much about the medical field by shadowing a different specialty each week. Not only did I learn more about what it means to work in the medical field, but I also got to learn more about the culture of Italy. While you are there you get to go on a weekly excursion that lets you explore the location that you are staying at and the locations surrounding it.
I felt very prepared before I left for the fellowship because the program made sure to walk us through what we should expect from the program and how to prepare for going abroad. I can honestly say this program exceeded all expectations. I highly recommend it to anyone that is interested in health care. Thanks to this program I am even more sure that I want to pursue a career in medicine. You will not regret applying to this extraordinary fellowship.
I also loved it so much that I am now an ambassador for the program, so feel free to comment with any questions you may have about Atlantis Fellowship!

Maya
Santa Barbara
Westmont College

Worth Every Penny!

I loved my Atlantis Project experience in Portugal! Getting to go abroad was incredible, but the shadowing experience was unforgettable. I was able to see a variety of specialties and observe anything from emergency room consultations to surgeries. Seeing so many specialties really gave me insight into what I am and am not interested in, in the medical field. I also especially loved our Excursion Days where our amazing Portuguese site managers would take us to see the most popular sights, and even shared some awesome restaurants that only locals know of. I also really appreciated the Pre-Health advising. We had a student from Harvard Medical School sit down with us and help us plan our applications and how to plan out studying for the MCAT. Our group also had the opportunity to participate in ethics seminars where our advisor would discuss ethics issues with us to help prepare us for future Medical School interviews. While the program is pricey, the experience was truly unforgettable and I made some incredible friends along the way.

I think this program could be improved by adding more guidance in the airport, especially upon arrival. It would have been helpful to have someone there to receive us.

Erika
Milan, Italy
University of California- Santa Barbara

Clinical Shadowing- Milan, Italy

I spent a duration of five weeks abroad and a total of three weeks shadowing. I took time before hand to travel in Italy and absolutely believe that my most valuable time abroad was in the hospital during my fellowship! I am forever grateful to the Atlantis Project for this opportunity and allowing me to learn more about what I love. I was able to network with many healthcare professionals and form a strong, professional network. Atlantis includes weekly excursions that were incredible to experience and places I never would have heard of otherwise. In addition to my time as a fellow, I had a multitude of opportunities in which I genuinely learned about the culture in my host country. I will absolutely be applying for another fellowship in the future!

Katarina
Weslaco, TX

Unforgettable Experience Fit for any Pre-Med Student

I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Guadalajara, Spain this past winter vacation. Traveling abroad as a pre-med is always difficult, because most study abroad programs do not have classes that pertain to the typical pre-med's classes. However, the Atlantis Project was an opportunity for me to justify traveling abroad by getting the chance to shadow various doctors in multiple specialties. The Atlantis Project also offers programs all throughout the year (Winter, Spring Break, Summer). This is great for someone like me, who has limited availability to take an international trip.

While in Guadalajara, we spent our mornings shadowing physicians of all departments of the hospital. I had the opportunity to shadow in maxillofacial, obstetrics, and general surgery. I was shadowed during multiple surgeries, procedures, and got to see my first natural birth. The physicians at the hospital were so kind and welcoming, even despite the slight language barrier. Most physicians spoke in English with me, and when the physician knew minimal English, I had the chance to practice my Spanish. Our shadowing experience was very well coordinated and helped make our short time in Spain worth-while.

Aside from the numerous hours spent shadowing, I had the chance to experience the culture by exploring the town we were staying in. I met some locals, ate delicious food, and visited some of the most beautiful historical sites. On most nights, the Atlantis Project provided us with dinner at a local restaurant. Each dinner was very well-planned with multiple courses. The food was definitely one of my favorite parts of the trip.

During our program, we also traveled to Toledo, Spain to take a tour of the city. I got to see some of the most beautiful landmarks and try some of the best pastries in Spain. The only thing I would change about my Atlantis Project experience is the length. If I could do it over again, I would have opted for a longer program, because I truly enjoyed it and wanted to spend more time in the beautiful country of Spain. If you are a pre-med student with an interest in traveling while at the same time developing your knowledge about medicine and international healthcare, the Atlantis Project is the program for you!

Kaitlyn
Fremont, WI
University of South Carolina

Vilnius, Lithuania: a nice place to work, a great place to visit!

I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with fellow AP members while in Lithuania. I would've never visited Lithuania, but was so glad I did! The project was more disorganized than I had hoped...

Pros:
I was able to meet SO MANY great people and now life long friends from all over the United States.
Spending time in direct patient contact was fantastic (surgery was my favorite!)
Being in an educational institution made for so many extra learning opportunities; being five feet from a surgical patient was incredible. I saw so many INCREDIBLE surgeries that I would've never seen in the United States (due to differing interventional choices)
The activities and meals that were planned were a great cultural experience. It was awesome to be able to travel through the country visiting historical sites and learning Lithuania's history.

Cons:
WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for three weeks. I'd rather pay to travel Europe than this. My group had 9 members, each paying at least $3000. I'm not sure where the money went, as the hotel was less than 65 euros per night, and we were double bunked. The activities (though incredibly fun, and definitely a PRO) couldn't have been that expensive either.
**Let me say** I would've rather have paid the physicians who agreed to have us work with them. They would have been much more motivated to teach, instead of having a bunch of American college students dogging them all day.
Super disorganized staff. The project leaders couldn't equally make up their mind when it came to deciding how to "govern" their students. Occasionally unprofessional when it came to relations with AP fellows. They also had not informed hospital staff, nor arranged physicians for us to work with. Most of the time, physicians were surprised we were even there.
Most spoke English (or broken English), but otherwise it was difficult to communicate. Walking around the city was easy enough.

All in all, I don't believe I would pay for this program in hindsight. The ease and convenience of having everything planned (including transportation, most meals, staying, and activities) was great if you've never traveled abroad before. I personally would rather travel with $3000 than pay for hospital time; if there was any way to pay the physicians from our program fee, I'd much rather attend a program that way.

Sidney
Phoenix
Arizona State University

Unforgettable Experience

The Atlantis Project fellowship was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. Right when you land you are immediately greeted with a smiling face by one of the site coordinators. From there you'e always on the go! In Greece we got to experience two different hospitals in the duration of 3 weeks. Everyday you get to rotate through different specialities and really get to be involved in what is going on in the hospitals. My favorite memory from the hospital aspect was getting to watch a neuro surgery during the second week! I boast about it to this day to people that I talk to! Not only do you get to have a crazy time seeing so many aspects of the medical field, but you also get to dive into the country's culture. Twice a week all the fellows and site coordinators get together to go on excursions that entail a lot of the history of that country. There's so many meals you get to experience with your other fellows, as well as, some "down time." We had a lot of fun exploring the Greek night life during the weekends and just getting to experience the country as a whole. I could talk hours about how great this program is! I honestly believe anyone who is interested in medicine should really experience this program!

Communication!!

Ashley
San Francisco
University of California- Merced

The Time of Your Life

The Atlantis Project isn't just a program that allows you to choose from an immense amount of specialties to shadow, but it also gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture of Spain. The Atlantis Project took us to places we would've never found on our own and most importantly, our safety was always a priority. The coordinators were also extremely professional and helpful! They showed us Spain like no other study abroad program would while still focusing on the medicine and our future careers as health professionals. I had the chance to network with two medical students, one going to Stanford and the other going to Harvard. They gave us a lot of helpful advice and we even got a chance to meet with them one-on-one. I've completed a substantial amount of programs, but this program is by far my favorite. I encourage everyone to apply!

Michelina
Pittsburgh
Chatham College

Shadowing in Auckland, New Zealand

I’ve always wanted to go to New Zealand so this program was automatically great, the opportunity to shadow in a hospital made it even better. The Atlantis Project is great for undergraduate students who want the experience of going abroad while also shadowing physicians. I had originally applied to the fellowship because my university is small and the study abroad trips are outside of my major so the Atlantis Project’s pre-health opportunity was a great fit. All of the physicians were incredibly helpful and went the extra mile in explaining concepts and examination procedures. There are many staff members through the program that can answer questions immediately and they do a great job of checking in with you as you prepare everything for your trip to ensure that you don’t forget anything important. New Zealand was also beautiful and our site coordinator worked hard to help us with anything we needed and he took us on great excursions. Life-changing trip!

Samantha
Cleveland, OH
Bowling Green State University

Atlantis Project

The 24 days I spent in Spain as a part of the Atlantis Project were hands down the best days of my life. You are surrounded with people you become so close with, so fast because you share common interests, aspirations, and drives. There is a perfect balance of shadowing in the hospital and exploring Spain. You will find yourself building lasting relationships and falling in love with the medical field at the same time. Being in another country and getting to immerse yourself in the culture is something I believe everyone should do at some point in their lives, but to get to do all while shadowing Physicians and prepare myself for my future made it that much more of an impacting experience. The Atlantis Project gives you an in depth look into medicine and a variety of different specialties, that you just can't find here in the U.S. The Atlantis Project has truly been a life changing experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Depending on where you were located, some of the specialties available were limited. Although the program was very accommodating and allowed a lot of movement around the specialties in the hospital, it would have been nice to be able to have more of an option of program placements so that we could be in hospitals that had the specialty we desired. However, I did find myself enjoying all of the specialties I got to shadow at my placement this summer in Pontevedra, Spain.

Breanna
Greeley, Colorado

Almansa, Spain

Atlantis Project provides a completely unique experience that makes study abroad worth it for pre-health majors. Most of us don’t have time to go abroad because they don’t offer the kinds of classes we need as part of the programs. Atlantis Project allows us to go abroad and get the experience a study abroad program gives while still helping us with our application for professional school. The program gives you ample opportunity to learn at the hospital and to learn about the culture outside of the hostpital. I was able to shadow a variety of physicians, that I was allowed to help pick, and see an amazing assortment of procedures and techniques. At the same time I also learned about Spanish culture and saw amazing things while there. Atlantis Project was the best month of my life and I wouldn’t change a minute of it.

Encourage students to stay longer. My only regret is doing a 4 week program rather than a 5 week one.

Natasha
Syracuse
Syracuse University

Atlantis Project 5 week Athens, Greece Program

Over the course of five weeks in Athens Greece I developed a new sense of adventure and interest in the ways in which medicine is similar and different across the globe. I not only spent a great deal of time being prepared for what it is really like to work and interact with doctors in a hospital, I learned empathy and compassion for those undergoing surgeries, treatments, and for the families that were being affected by illness. Along the way I met thirteen extraordinary individuals who will be life long friends and contacts as I continue on my path to be a doctor. I would not trade this experience for anything.

I wish there was an MCAT prep course offered in Greece.

Paige
Tampa
University of South Florida

Complete Emersion in Another Culture

The Atlantis Project gives you the unique ability to completely enrich yourself in another country, from working there to volunteering there to experiencing the culture. Living in Cuenca for 3 weeks over the winter was an enriching edition to my college experience that I highly recommend to any pre-med student. Not only was I able to shadow physician from different specialties, I was able to meet patients and shadow in surgeries. I was a member of the ICU team for a few days, learning patient’s stories, an observer in nearly a dozen surgeries, ranging from cardiac to hernia repair, and interact on ER consults. Not only did these physicians challenge me to apply my own personal knowledge, asking me questions throughout the case(s), but they allowed me to build strong relationships with staff as they explained their journey through medical school and compared international medicine to that in America. I came back to the US with a great understanding of what it meant to be a global doctor, and a new look on different specialties I had not previously interacted with.

Additionally, this program allowed me to completely emerge myself in Spanish culture. From living with a host family in a hostel building to experiencing the vibrant holiday traditions, we were welcomed and embraced. The family welcomed us into their lives, inviting us to their family restaurant and flamenco lessons. More so, we were able to experience New Years Eve within Barcelona, and Three Kings Day, a traditional Spanish holiday, and learn more about the culture abroad. We were allowed to interact with locals and hear their stories as we were recommended to different restaurants, monuments and experiences.

Not only did this experience give me an international experience to share with everyone, this experience taught me so much about what medicine in a global mindset. Additionally, I made friends who I still talk to regularly as we encourage and support each other’s premedical careers.

Umay
Queens, New York

Life-changing

Overall, the Atlantis Project was definitely a life-changing event, an event that I will never forget. Along with global healthcare exposure, I was also exposed to the beautiful culture of Greece. Putting yourself out there may be scary at first, but eventually you start to get a handle of things and appreciate the little things in life.

The Atlantis Project was an unforgettable adventure for me and I do think it is worth the experience. I was scrubbing in surgery almost every day and was out exploring Greece after I returned back to the hotel. I had the opportunity to observe and note specific skill sets from rounds and diagnosis discussions. I also shadowed and focused on a variety of cardiac and thoracic surgeries as well as doctors in the cardiac surgery intensive care unit, emergency room, anatomical pathology, radiology, cardiology, pneumonology, gastroenterology, and anesthesiology department. The doctors, nurses, and surgeons I've met encouraged me to push forward and continue to pursue medicine. Along with the exposure, I also made strong friendship bonds with people across the world. The three weeks in Athens, Greece has evolved my perspective and brightened my long journey towards the medical field. Not only was I able to travel alone, but I brought along my enthusiastic interest of medicine with me. Overall, I am forever grateful for this breathtaking opportunity and would not second guess my choice to shadow again with the Atlantis Project.

To see pictures and blog posts of my time in Greece, follow #TravelWithMay

Athena
Clarksville, MD
Harvard University

Loved it!

I was placed in Albacete, which was a pleasant surprise. The living accommodations were amazing - the room was spacious, we had access to a plethora of facilities, and we were close to important buildings (hospital, mall, restaurants, nightlife). I learned a great deal about medicine during my time here as well - I shadowed a different specialty every 2-3 days, and the AP Program Coordinator tried his best to ensure that I could see the specialties I wanted to see. The language barrier was not an issue at all - although doctors had difficulty understanding my English, my Spanish was passable, and they responded in English that I could easily understand. Physicians went above and beyond in answering my questions and ensuring that I learned as much as I could. BASE5 was fun - I loved sitting down and having conversations with doctors in English. Other AP interns were great as well - I got really close with everyone there really quickly (as we had adequate time to hang out), and we still stay in touch back in the U.S. I was much younger than everyone there, but I felt like I had a family.

Aj
Louisville, KY
University of Louisville

A Wonderful Experience

Through the Atlantis Project, I was able to explore Spain and get to know its rich culture. I spent four weeks in Guadalajara, Spain and two in Albacete, Spain through the Atlantis Project. During my time there, I saw surgeries on people injured from bull runs and the doctor-patient interactions. By going to Spain through the Atlantis Project, I was able to shadow doctors from a variety of different fields and explore what the daily life of a surgeon or doctor in Spain.

The Atlantis Project gave me the ability to see and explore. From being a part of the Atlantis Project, as cliché'd as it sounds, it expanded my worldview and helped me grow in more ways that I could have ever imagined. I learned what it's like to be in a culture different from your own and the ins and outs of Spanish culture. I'm thoroughly grateful that I did the Atlantis Project.

Gina
New York
Binghamton University

Once in a Lifetime Experience

Interning abroad in Spain was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I would have never imagined that I would be given the opportunity to embark on such a wonderful journey. My program was situated in the small Galician town of Ourense. During my stay, I was given great living commodities, amazing meals, and the social life was great! There was always something to do from interning, to visiting local shops and restaurants.

Monday through Friday, each AP fellow was expected to intern for at least 5 hours at the local hospital. For my specific program (4 weeks), we were assigned to a variety of specialities that we had shown prior interest in. During my program, I shadowed obstetrics/gynecology, general/trauma surgery, oncology, cardiology, internal medicine, and pediatrics. Though each day varied, there was always something new to learn! The doctors were also very welcoming and friendly, and they loved learning more about the American culture including the English language.

During the weekends we would attend excursions (which by the way, were amazing). Some of my favorite trips included the Cies Islands, Santiago de Compostela, Parada de Sil, and the Allariz goat farm. In addition the locals were very friendly, and my overall experience with the Atlantis Project made me never want to come back home. I truly recommend this program!! Not only does it allow you to attain cultural experience and knowledge about European healthcare, but it also allows you to give back to the local community.

Presley
Alliance, OH
University of Mount Union

Atlantis Project: European Pre-Health Shadowing

I was an Atlantis Project fellow in August of 2015 in Terceira, Portugal. This experience was one of the most influential for me both personally and in my career endeavors. I traveled out of the country for the first time and was able to experience a new and fascinating culture. The shadowing opportunities were such an inspiring opportunity that in this past semester when I really struggled, they were my reason to keep pushing. It gave me sight of the end goal and reminded me why I want to pursue my career. While there I gained about 20 hours a week of shadowing with doctors, nurses, surgeons, specialists etc... In my free time I was able to go hiking, explore a volcano, go cliff diving, swim with wild dolphins, go whale watching and overall learn about a new culture. This was one of the best experiences as I not only gained observation hours and educational information, but I also gained a new sense of independence and a more diverse outlook on life. I'd highly recommend this to anyone interested in the medical field and/or going abroad.

I'd like to receive a little more information about the specifics of travel before I leave. However, I felt equipped for the trip and it went smoothly

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) was founded in 2007, and our mission is to equip future healthcare leaders to pursue their callings passionately. Since then, our programs have expanded to include global hospital partners in Europe, South America, and even Oceania.

Atlantis is