Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Hungary, Croatia, Ecuador, and More.

Shadow doctors 20+ hours/week in Europe or Latin America through the Atlantis Fellowship: 1.5-8 week Fellowships during winter or summer breaks.

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) has been providing university students in healthcare-related fields with the opportunity to gain clinical experience in hospitals in Europe and Latin America since 2007. We are committed to the safety of our Fellows, and are constantly working to maximize the educational value of our programs.

(We also have programs for MD candidates).

• Rotate through different specialties to gain exposure to various medical practices and procedures.
  • Join our Fellowships to make the most of your winter or summer - no need to take time off during your semesters!
  • Immerse yourself in a fellowship abroad to understand healthcare in a global context, and embark on weekly excursions to experience German culture, sights, and food.
  • Join a network of accomplished Atlantis Fellows and doctors from around the world.
  • We also have programs to help students prepare for the MCAT.

The application is mostly basic information such as name, address, GPA. major, etc. You also choose your top three locations for shadowing (out of a large list) and from there you will be scheduled for a phone interview. I hope this helps!
I believe that it is very helpful. You learn so much over there that it can change your life. Also, you get to have a medical school application seminar while in Greece. This helped me learn a lot about applying.
You can find a breakdown of the program fees here: http://www.atlantis-project.org/dates-and-fees/. Hope that helps!
They have a post-grad alumni internship that you can apply to in Washington D.C.! Here's the link: http://www.atlantis-project.org/alumni/

Courtney

Atlantis helped me have the best summer

My program was 4-weeks in Lisbon, Portugal.
4 weeks full of shadowing at the largest hospital in the entire country (so we got the coolest cases from all over Portugal and even Africa!) from the following specialties: plastic surgery, vascular surgery, psychiatry, and orthopedic surgery.
4 weeks full of traveling on the weekends with fellows that I can confidently say they are lifelong friends now. I went up and down the coast of Portugal, experienced a culture unlike any other during the World Cup, and went surfing for the first time.
4 weeks living in seriously a BEAUTIFUL apartment. Surrounded by all the fellows. We each had our own studio apartment that was brand new. Pool, rooftop deck, workout room, conveniently located, etc.
There's so much more to say about this program that I can't put into a paragraph, but sign up for Atlantis to gain a wider perspective on medicine and learn things you honestly can't get in your university classroom. and for an irreplaceable summer!

Nianiella

A one of a kind experience

Atlantis provided me with an opportunity to expand my knowledge and appreciation for healthcare. It was my second time going overseas and my first time experiencing a different kind of medical system. While it was challenging in the beginning, I gained a lot from the experience. At first it was nerve wracking trying to determine what language and cultural barriers would be in place that would inhibit my learning. After the first few days, all nerves were set aside because the language and culture (while different) just provided a new way of observing healthcare. When I could not understand what was happening with my ears, I would use my eyes to observe body language, facial expressions, etc. in order to figure out what was happening. Later on the doctor would explain what happened. I learned how to effectively observe a situation and deduce relationships and emotions from them. I would recommend this experience to anyone interested in medicine and/or has an interest in cultural competency. Atlantis allowed me to observe and interact with a culture that was otherwise unknown to me. It helped me gain a better understanding and appreciation for the many unique lifestyles in the world.

Marissa

Ecuador Service Fellowship 2018

My Atlantis fellowship was so valuable. It gave me an opportunity to witness first hand medicine in a new culture and learn from doctors there. Medicine in every culture is different so understanding the differences in medical practice was so interesting. I gained an understanding of the hospital and foundation as a whole. Living in another country was so empowering and helped me with personal development. I was sad to leave our fellowship and would go back if I had the chance.

Wesley

Atlantis Review: Portugal (closest country to Spain)

This Organization does a Phenomenal job of organizing, prepping and equipping you with everything you need to attend their programs. I personally enjoyed the location I chose in Portugal. The Country was beautiful the Site manager I had was fantastic, and everyone that chose the same location as me were amazing. The Shadowing that I got there was incredible and honestly nothing like you would ever experience in the US. All of the doctors that I shadowed with were extremely helpful and were very willing to work with us with the langage barrier. There is plenty of free time to actually explore and experience the country and the weekends are times to travel. I got to Travel to Lisbon, the capital, and spend time there exploring. I'm so happy with this program and would highly recommend this to anyone who is looking to shadow and want to travel.

Angel

Shadowing, Montevideo, Uruguay

This experience was life changing it made a HUGE difference in my academic life as well as my personal life. It taught me professionalism and interaction with patients in a doctor aspect. The staff in the hospital were loving and accepting and had the will to teach. The site managers were amazing, kind and fun! Paola and Joaquin Are the Best! There was always something new to learn and that what made it spontaneous and exciting! Im definitely going to do it again! SIGN ME UP

N/A
Amira

My Experience in Hungary

In November of 2017, I saw a flyer for the Atlantis Fellowship and was immediately intrigued. For the longest time, I had been searching for a summer opportunity to combine my two passions: medicine and traveling. Ultimately, I chose this fellowship because it offered an unparalleled opportunity to travel abroad, learn about the health care system in another country, interact with and learn from physicians, and solidify my desire of pursuing a career in medicine. I cannot explain the excitement I felt when I learned we would be given the opportunity to witness two autopsies. There are no words to describe the appreciation I felt for mothers upon witnessing three natural births and one C-section. And there is no textbook that can explain the ins and outs of public health care as well as an individual who has been given first hand experience. I recommend this to anyone and everyone who is interested in anything related to healthcare, who wants to push their comfort zones, and is hungry for a life-changing opportunity.

I would just recommend bettering communication between hospital staff, site managers, and students, as well as informing fellows of possible excursions beforehand so as to prepare them for what to pack.
Natalie

Wonderful Medical Fellowship in Ecuador

Ever since the age of 8, I have aspired to become a neonatal doctor. After my first year of university, Atlantis offered me my first step in the direction of achieving this dream by shadowing physicians in all specialties, including neonatal, pediatrics, radiology, surgery, and many more, in a hospital in Ecuador. This unique program aligns perfectly with my plans of studying medical anthropology and has only further peaked my interest in the medical field.

Kaitlyn

Atlantis Fellowship: Lisbon. Best Experience of my Life.

I had been abroad previously and was looking to study again, but also obtain clinical experience. The Atlantis Fellowship not only provided me that, but exceeded my expectations in ways I did not believe possible. This program is unlike any other and I truly believe I will be a better doctor in the future because of it. There is something so special about being able to completely immerse yourself in another culture while also experiencing another country's healthcare system. I learned so much about Portugal's healthcare system and was able to compare it to my own, which is vital when going into the field of medicine. In addition, the fellowship's ability to let its fellows shadow many different specialities gave me a better insight and understanding of what kind of doctor I want to become. I am so incredible thankful for this opportunity and highly recommend Lisbon! Lisbon was so safe, fun, and honestly I have a hard time putting into words just how unique and beautiful the city was. The three weeks went by so fast, I could have stayed there for eight! I made lasting friendships with not only the other fellows, but the staff as well! All of the site managers in Lisbon were absolutely lovely and so helpful. I will remember this experience for my entire life, I highly recommend the Atlantis Fellowship!

Logan

Healthcare Study Abroad Trip

My 2018 Healthcare Study Abroad Trip to Lithuania was by far, the best study abroad experience ever. I was able to learn about an unfamiliar Eastern European country, shadow
numerous health care professionals at a University Hospital, observe different surgeries, build life-long professional connections, learn about patient-centered health care, travel to different countries along the baltic sea, and finally, make ever-lasting memories with great people!

NA!
Lauren

Extraordinary

Being Pre-Med can be scary because you're going into the unknown with very little experience. It's not easy to get internships at hospitals; we have very strict laws in the U.S. regarding patient confidentiality and safety. Going to Portugal and working closely with doctors and standing in on surgeries was life-changing. I witnessed multiple brain surgeries with tumor removals and biopsies. I came out of my trip more enthralled by the medical field than I ever had before.

n/a
Justin

Incredible 3 Weeks in Lisbon

This summer, I had the unique opportunity to spend 3 weeks shadowing physicians in Lisbon, Portugal. The Atlantis staff was incredibly supportive and helpful; this has made Lisbon feel like a home away from home where I made a handful of long-lasting friends. Being fully immersed in the hospital provided a confirmation that medicine was the path I wanted to be on. This program offered the most honest, and exciting, view of the field I had as an undergraduate.

No, I don't recommend this program
Taryn

Shadow Doctors in Croatia!

Getting to shadow doctors in Croatia, and to learn more about medicine was an a,axing experience. It was a once in a life time opportunity that taught me the true value of medicine, showed me the type of pioneer I want to be in medicine, and to truly value every resource we have access too. You’ll see things you don’t expect, and see the daily lifestyle of being a doctor. It was such a valuable, eye opening experience.

Linh

Two Weeks in Hungary!

The Atlantis Project is a certified and professional program that helps students gain a competitive edge in the medical process along with a better understanding of universal healthcare in different countries around the world. My fellowship in Budapest, Hungary was a very interesting and fun experience that allowed me to closely work with doctors and nurses. The doctors I encountered were friendly and passionate about their work and teaching. The hospital I was shadowing at was relatively small, allowing me the chance to more closely interact with the doctors and see their everyday routine in the hospital. Along with advancing my professional career, I was about to learn about Budapest's public transportation system, their unique culture, and delicious food. I also made five amazing friendships with people from across the country that I can rely on if I ever need anything. Overall, I had a great time and this was my summer highlight. Thank you Atlantis and thank you Budapest!

Fiona

Atlantis Program in Montevideo Uruguay

This program is an amazing way to discover if medicine is truly for you. This program allows you to spend 20+ hours shadowing doctors in the hospital in different specialties such as surgery, gynecology, cardiology, radiology, emergency, nephrology, and many more. By studying medicine in a different country, you will learn about the differences in healthcare in the United States and foreign healthcare. Weekly excursions are provided to big attractions in the country which are a fun way to see the culture of the country as well as historical sites and tourist attractions. This trip was so extremely fun and the friendships I made on it are some that will last forever.

American

Paradise in Portugal - The Perfect Atlantis Fellowship!

My Atlantis Fellowship changed my life! Atlantis provided me with the unique opportunity to shadow doctors and gain knowledge about international healthcare systems while exploring a new country and experiencing a different culture. I not only discovered a rich culture in a country I had never visited, but I also discovered a new confidence within myself and true desire to practice medicine. Because I am an Atlantis Fellow and I did experience a culture different from the United States, I feel that I am a more understanding person and I can be a doctor who is aware of and can appreciate the diversity of different cultures. Additionally, because I was encouraged to take the initiative and connect with each doctor I met, I now have a unique professional network that not only spans multiple disciplines but multiple countries! This trip was the best decision I ever made!!

About Atlantis

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) was founded in 2007, and our mission is to equip future healthcare leaders to pursue their callings passionately. Since then, our programs have expanded to include global hospital partners in Europe,...