Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Spain, Italy, Greece, and More.

Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week in Spain, Italy, Greece, and More.

By Atlantis Project   Reviews (32)   97% Rating

Shadow doctors for 20+ hours a week in 9 countries across Europe & South America. Apply to 1-8 week Fellowships during summer/winter breaks.

If you are pursuing a medical career, apply to go abroad with us in winter or summer 2017 by visiting atlantis-project.org.

Europe » Spain
Statement of Purpose
Letters of Recommendation
Age Requirement
Cost Description
Program cost varies based on length of program. Check out our Dates & Fee page on our website for more information.

The application is mostly basic information such as name, address, GPA. major, etc. You also choose your top three locations for shadowing (out of a large list) and from there you will be scheduled for a phone interview. I hope this helps!
You can find a breakdown of the program fees here: http://www.atlantis-project.org/dates-and-fees/. Hope that helps!
They have a post-grad alumni internship that you can apply to in Washington D.C.! Here's the link: http://www.atlantis-project.org/alumni/

Katarina
Weslaco, TX

Unforgettable Experience Fit for any Pre-Med Student

I had the wonderful opportunity to travel to Guadalajara, Spain this past winter vacation. Traveling abroad as a pre-med is always difficult, because most study abroad programs do not have classes that pertain to the typical pre-med's classes. However, the Atlantis Project was an opportunity for me to justify traveling abroad by getting the chance to shadow various doctors in multiple specialties. The Atlantis Project also offers programs all throughout the year (Winter, Spring Break, Summer). This is great for someone like me, who has limited availability to take an international trip.

While in Guadalajara, we spent our mornings shadowing physicians of all departments of the hospital. I had the opportunity to shadow in maxillofacial, obstetrics, and general surgery. I was shadowed during multiple surgeries, procedures, and got to see my first natural birth. The physicians at the hospital were so kind and welcoming, even despite the slight language barrier. Most physicians spoke in English with me, and when the physician knew minimal English, I had the chance to practice my Spanish. Our shadowing experience was very well coordinated and helped make our short time in Spain worth-while.

Aside from the numerous hours spent shadowing, I had the chance to experience the culture by exploring the town we were staying in. I met some locals, ate delicious food, and visited some of the most beautiful historical sites. On most nights, the Atlantis Project provided us with dinner at a local restaurant. Each dinner was very well-planned with multiple courses. The food was definitely one of my favorite parts of the trip.

During our program, we also traveled to Toledo, Spain to take a tour of the city. I got to see some of the most beautiful landmarks and try some of the best pastries in Spain. The only thing I would change about my Atlantis Project experience is the length. If I could do it over again, I would have opted for a longer program, because I truly enjoyed it and wanted to spend more time in the beautiful country of Spain. If you are a pre-med student with an interest in traveling while at the same time developing your knowledge about medicine and international healthcare, the Atlantis Project is the program for you!

Kaitlyn
Fremont, WI
University of South Carolina

Vilnius, Lithuania: a nice place to work, a great place to visit!

I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with fellow AP members while in Lithuania. I would've never visited Lithuania, but was so glad I did! The project was more disorganized than I had hoped...

Pros:
I was able to meet SO MANY great people and now life long friends from all over the United States.
Spending time in direct patient contact was fantastic (surgery was my favorite!)
Being in an educational institution made for so many extra learning opportunities; being five feet from a surgical patient was incredible. I saw so many INCREDIBLE surgeries that I would've never seen in the United States (due to differing interventional choices)
The activities and meals that were planned were a great cultural experience. It was awesome to be able to travel through the country visiting historical sites and learning Lithuania's history.

Cons:
WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for three weeks. I'd rather pay to travel Europe than this. My group had 9 members, each paying at least $3000. I'm not sure where the money went, as the hotel was less than 65 euros per night, and we were double bunked. The activities (though incredibly fun, and definitely a PRO) couldn't have been that expensive either.
**Let me say** I would've rather have paid the physicians who agreed to have us work with them. They would have been much more motivated to teach, instead of having a bunch of American college students dogging them all day.
Super disorganized staff. The project leaders couldn't equally make up their mind when it came to deciding how to "govern" their students. Occasionally unprofessional when it came to relations with AP fellows. They also had not informed hospital staff, nor arranged physicians for us to work with. Most of the time, physicians were surprised we were even there.
Most spoke English (or broken English), but otherwise it was difficult to communicate. Walking around the city was easy enough.

All in all, I don't believe I would pay for this program in hindsight. The ease and convenience of having everything planned (including transportation, most meals, staying, and activities) was great if you've never traveled abroad before. I personally would rather travel with $3000 than pay for hospital time; if there was any way to pay the physicians from our program fee, I'd much rather attend a program that way.

Sidney
Phoenix
Arizona State University

Unforgettable Experience

The Atlantis Project fellowship was honestly one of the best experiences of my life. Right when you land you are immediately greeted with a smiling face by one of the site coordinators. From there you'e always on the go! In Greece we got to experience two different hospitals in the duration of 3 weeks. Everyday you get to rotate through different specialities and really get to be involved in what is going on in the hospitals. My favorite memory from the hospital aspect was getting to watch a neuro surgery during the second week! I boast about it to this day to people that I talk to! Not only do you get to have a crazy time seeing so many aspects of the medical field, but you also get to dive into the country's culture. Twice a week all the fellows and site coordinators get together to go on excursions that entail a lot of the history of that country. There's so many meals you get to experience with your other fellows, as well as, some "down time." We had a lot of fun exploring the Greek night life during the weekends and just getting to experience the country as a whole. I could talk hours about how great this program is! I honestly believe anyone who is interested in medicine should really experience this program!

Communication!!

Ashley
San Francisco
University of California- Merced

The Time of Your Life

The Atlantis Project isn't just a program that allows you to choose from an immense amount of specialties to shadow, but it also gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the culture of Spain. The Atlantis Project took us to places we would've never found on our own and most importantly, our safety was always a priority. The coordinators were also extremely professional and helpful! They showed us Spain like no other study abroad program would while still focusing on the medicine and our future careers as health professionals. I had the chance to network with two medical students, one going to Stanford and the other going to Harvard. They gave us a lot of helpful advice and we even got a chance to meet with them one-on-one. I've completed a substantial amount of programs, but this program is by far my favorite. I encourage everyone to apply!

Michelina
Pittsburgh
Chatham College

Shadowing in Auckland, New Zealand

I’ve always wanted to go to New Zealand so this program was automatically great, the opportunity to shadow in a hospital made it even better. The Atlantis Project is great for undergraduate students who want the experience of going abroad while also shadowing physicians. I had originally applied to the fellowship because my university is small and the study abroad trips are outside of my major so the Atlantis Project’s pre-health opportunity was a great fit. All of the physicians were incredibly helpful and went the extra mile in explaining concepts and examination procedures. There are many staff members through the program that can answer questions immediately and they do a great job of checking in with you as you prepare everything for your trip to ensure that you don’t forget anything important. New Zealand was also beautiful and our site coordinator worked hard to help us with anything we needed and he took us on great excursions. Life-changing trip!

Samantha
Cleveland, OH
Bowling Green State University

Atlantis Project

The 24 days I spent in Spain as a part of the Atlantis Project were hands down the best days of my life. You are surrounded with people you become so close with, so fast because you share common interests, aspirations, and drives. There is a perfect balance of shadowing in the hospital and exploring Spain. You will find yourself building lasting relationships and falling in love with the medical field at the same time. Being in another country and getting to immerse yourself in the culture is something I believe everyone should do at some point in their lives, but to get to do all while shadowing Physicians and prepare myself for my future made it that much more of an impacting experience. The Atlantis Project gives you an in depth look into medicine and a variety of different specialties, that you just can't find here in the U.S. The Atlantis Project has truly been a life changing experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Depending on where you were located, some of the specialties available were limited. Although the program was very accommodating and allowed a lot of movement around the specialties in the hospital, it would have been nice to be able to have more of an option of program placements so that we could be in hospitals that had the specialty we desired. However, I did find myself enjoying all of the specialties I got to shadow at my placement this summer in Pontevedra, Spain.

Breanna
Greeley, Colorado

Almansa, Spain

Atlantis Project provides a completely unique experience that makes study abroad worth it for pre-health majors. Most of us don’t have time to go abroad because they don’t offer the kinds of classes we need as part of the programs. Atlantis Project allows us to go abroad and get the experience a study abroad program gives while still helping us with our application for professional school. The program gives you ample opportunity to learn at the hospital and to learn about the culture outside of the hostpital. I was able to shadow a variety of physicians, that I was allowed to help pick, and see an amazing assortment of procedures and techniques. At the same time I also learned about Spanish culture and saw amazing things while there. Atlantis Project was the best month of my life and I wouldn’t change a minute of it.

Encourage students to stay longer. My only regret is doing a 4 week program rather than a 5 week one.

Natasha
Syracuse
Syracuse University

Atlantis Project 5 week Athens, Greece Program

Over the course of five weeks in Athens Greece I developed a new sense of adventure and interest in the ways in which medicine is similar and different across the globe. I not only spent a great deal of time being prepared for what it is really like to work and interact with doctors in a hospital, I learned empathy and compassion for those undergoing surgeries, treatments, and for the families that were being affected by illness. Along the way I met thirteen extraordinary individuals who will be life long friends and contacts as I continue on my path to be a doctor. I would not trade this experience for anything.

I wish there was an MCAT prep course offered in Greece.

Paige
Tampa
University of South Florida

Complete Emersion in Another Culture

The Atlantis Project gives you the unique ability to completely enrich yourself in another country, from working there to volunteering there to experiencing the culture. Living in Cuenca for 3 weeks over the winter was an enriching edition to my college experience that I highly recommend to any pre-med student. Not only was I able to shadow physician from different specialties, I was able to meet patients and shadow in surgeries. I was a member of the ICU team for a few days, learning patient’s stories, an observer in nearly a dozen surgeries, ranging from cardiac to hernia repair, and interact on ER consults. Not only did these physicians challenge me to apply my own personal knowledge, asking me questions throughout the case(s), but they allowed me to build strong relationships with staff as they explained their journey through medical school and compared international medicine to that in America. I came back to the US with a great understanding of what it meant to be a global doctor, and a new look on different specialties I had not previously interacted with.

Additionally, this program allowed me to completely emerge myself in Spanish culture. From living with a host family in a hostel building to experiencing the vibrant holiday traditions, we were welcomed and embraced. The family welcomed us into their lives, inviting us to their family restaurant and flamenco lessons. More so, we were able to experience New Years Eve within Barcelona, and Three Kings Day, a traditional Spanish holiday, and learn more about the culture abroad. We were allowed to interact with locals and hear their stories as we were recommended to different restaurants, monuments and experiences.

Not only did this experience give me an international experience to share with everyone, this experience taught me so much about what medicine in a global mindset. Additionally, I made friends who I still talk to regularly as we encourage and support each other’s premedical careers.

Umay
Queens, New York

Life-changing

Overall, the Atlantis Project was definitely a life-changing event, an event that I will never forget. Along with global healthcare exposure, I was also exposed to the beautiful culture of Greece. Putting yourself out there may be scary at first, but eventually you start to get a handle of things and appreciate the little things in life.

The Atlantis Project was an unforgettable adventure for me and I do think it is worth the experience. I was scrubbing in surgery almost every day and was out exploring Greece after I returned back to the hotel. I had the opportunity to observe and note specific skill sets from rounds and diagnosis discussions. I also shadowed and focused on a variety of cardiac and thoracic surgeries as well as doctors in the cardiac surgery intensive care unit, emergency room, anatomical pathology, radiology, cardiology, pneumonology, gastroenterology, and anesthesiology department. The doctors, nurses, and surgeons I've met encouraged me to push forward and continue to pursue medicine. Along with the exposure, I also made strong friendship bonds with people across the world. The three weeks in Athens, Greece has evolved my perspective and brightened my long journey towards the medical field. Not only was I able to travel alone, but I brought along my enthusiastic interest of medicine with me. Overall, I am forever grateful for this breathtaking opportunity and would not second guess my choice to shadow again with the Atlantis Project.

To see pictures and blog posts of my time in Greece, follow #TravelWithMay

Athena
Clarksville, MD
Harvard University

Loved it!

I was placed in Albacete, which was a pleasant surprise. The living accommodations were amazing - the room was spacious, we had access to a plethora of facilities, and we were close to important buildings (hospital, mall, restaurants, nightlife). I learned a great deal about medicine during my time here as well - I shadowed a different specialty every 2-3 days, and the AP Program Coordinator tried his best to ensure that I could see the specialties I wanted to see. The language barrier was not an issue at all - although doctors had difficulty understanding my English, my Spanish was passable, and they responded in English that I could easily understand. Physicians went above and beyond in answering my questions and ensuring that I learned as much as I could. BASE5 was fun - I loved sitting down and having conversations with doctors in English. Other AP interns were great as well - I got really close with everyone there really quickly (as we had adequate time to hang out), and we still stay in touch back in the U.S. I was much younger than everyone there, but I felt like I had a family.

Aj
Louisville, KY
University of Louisville

A Wonderful Experience

Through the Atlantis Project, I was able to explore Spain and get to know its rich culture. I spent four weeks in Guadalajara, Spain and two in Albacete, Spain through the Atlantis Project. During my time there, I saw surgeries on people injured from bull runs and the doctor-patient interactions. By going to Spain through the Atlantis Project, I was able to shadow doctors from a variety of different fields and explore what the daily life of a surgeon or doctor in Spain.

The Atlantis Project gave me the ability to see and explore. From being a part of the Atlantis Project, as cliché'd as it sounds, it expanded my worldview and helped me grow in more ways that I could have ever imagined. I learned what it's like to be in a culture different from your own and the ins and outs of Spanish culture. I'm thoroughly grateful that I did the Atlantis Project.

Gina
New York
Binghamton University

Once in a Lifetime Experience

Interning abroad in Spain was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I would have never imagined that I would be given the opportunity to embark on such a wonderful journey. My program was situated in the small Galician town of Ourense. During my stay, I was given great living commodities, amazing meals, and the social life was great! There was always something to do from interning, to visiting local shops and restaurants.

Monday through Friday, each AP fellow was expected to intern for at least 5 hours at the local hospital. For my specific program (4 weeks), we were assigned to a variety of specialities that we had shown prior interest in. During my program, I shadowed obstetrics/gynecology, general/trauma surgery, oncology, cardiology, internal medicine, and pediatrics. Though each day varied, there was always something new to learn! The doctors were also very welcoming and friendly, and they loved learning more about the American culture including the English language.

During the weekends we would attend excursions (which by the way, were amazing). Some of my favorite trips included the Cies Islands, Santiago de Compostela, Parada de Sil, and the Allariz goat farm. In addition the locals were very friendly, and my overall experience with the Atlantis Project made me never want to come back home. I truly recommend this program!! Not only does it allow you to attain cultural experience and knowledge about European healthcare, but it also allows you to give back to the local community.

Presley
Alliance, OH
University of Mount Union

Atlantis Project: European Pre-Health Shadowing

I was an Atlantis Project fellow in August of 2015 in Terceira, Portugal. This experience was one of the most influential for me both personally and in my career endeavors. I traveled out of the country for the first time and was able to experience a new and fascinating culture. The shadowing opportunities were such an inspiring opportunity that in this past semester when I really struggled, they were my reason to keep pushing. It gave me sight of the end goal and reminded me why I want to pursue my career. While there I gained about 20 hours a week of shadowing with doctors, nurses, surgeons, specialists etc... In my free time I was able to go hiking, explore a volcano, go cliff diving, swim with wild dolphins, go whale watching and overall learn about a new culture. This was one of the best experiences as I not only gained observation hours and educational information, but I also gained a new sense of independence and a more diverse outlook on life. I'd highly recommend this to anyone interested in the medical field and/or going abroad.

I'd like to receive a little more information about the specifics of travel before I leave. However, I felt equipped for the trip and it went smoothly

Katherin
new york

atlantis project

The Atlantis project not only allowed me and my fellows to shadow and experience a doctors/surgeons daily life was but it also gave us a sense of direction into what we all are looking for and what we are not looking for. Through out the program I was able to pinpoint where in the medical field I would like to follow up on and where I was sure not to. I learned so much and was actually able put my knowledge to use and see how much I actually know. It was overall an amazing experience and I recommend everyone who is interested in the medical field, to go do this program.

Tiffany
Richmond, VA
Virginia Commonwealth University

Atlantis Project Summer 2015 (Cuenca)

The Atlantis Project was an incredible experience that allowed me to experience my two passions: medicine and culture immersion. I lived in Cuenca, Spain for the month of July and had the privilege of shadowing physicians in Hospital Virgen de la Luz. I enjoyed the Atlantis Project especially because I was given the opportunity to experience different specialties, such as endocrinology, anesthesiology, and cardiovascular surgery. These specialties were my top choice, as given in the survey the Atlantis Project gives us prior to the trip, and I was pleasantly surprised that the Atlantis Project was able to give me my top choices. At the hospital, I was able to see the differences and similarities between the European healthcare and American healthcare. Because not all healthcare providers could speak English, I was also able to practice speaking Spanish and found that immersion in another country was truly the best way to learn the language. In addition, I also loved how my coordinator was from Spain and was like a mother figure in case I was ever in need of anything at all. Lastly, the Atlantis Project also enables the students to explore Spain and not waste any time at all. I was able to see the sights of the town I stayed in as well as go to a local winery.

Allie
Athens, GA
University of Georgia

Toledo Shadowing

I really enjoyed traveling to Toledo, Spain for this hospital shadowing and cultural immersion program. I was able to spend three weeks in different hospital departments. These included pharmacy, orthopedics, pulmonology, neurosurgery, intervention radiology and intensive care. This clinical exposure allowed me to see a larger variety of specialties than I had at home. My time in Spain gave me a glimpse at public healthcare and a holistic perspective of medicine. This collaboration for the greater good focused on highlighting the integration of unique skill sets and teamwork aspect of medicine. I enjoyed getting to learn from the different healthcare professionals and my fellow students. Overall, the experience provided me with new and diverse perspectives.

It was reassuring to be surrounded by students that all had health interests in common. I made great friends during my stay. The program leaders worked hard to accommodate us all and considered our feedback to make changes for the better!

Our living situation lacked air conditioning, I believe they are fixing that for this upcoming years trips!

Christine
Seattle
University of Washington- Seattle

An Amazing Opportunity... if you Seize it

Spain is such an incredible country full of beautiful people who are truly so kind. I had an amazing opportunity this summer (July 2015) to go to Guadalajara, Spain (1 hr from Madrid by train) to shadow and observe many different specialities. It was truly an unforgettable experience.

When I first landed in the Madrid airport, it was extremely large and overwhelming. However, I am the type of person who does not have a lot of fears when I travel. I love new experiences and visiting new countries. I knew maybe five words in Spanish and idd not know much about Spanish culture. The program did provide very specific details on how to get from the airport to the program site. It was extremely useful, but there is only so much information can do. The next part is very much up to the individual to seek out help from locals (who were extremely kind) and do the best you can. Luckily, I found a few other Atlantis fellows by overhearing some conversations spoken in English. Together, we were able to get to the correct train station in Madrid (Atocha) and get to our respective program locations. It was fine once I was in Guadalajara because my program coordinator (who I became so fond of) was waiting for me. She was waiting for me at the train station and paid for the cab ride (as they indicate) and brought me to the dormitories. Each program site will look different, but the one in Guadalajara was a college dormitory. However, because it was summer the students were on break and we were able to use the facility. It was not extremely nice (relatively speaking), but it was still a safe haven by the end of the trip. I did not encounter any bugs or anything like that but it is a bit older of a facility. They changed my sheets every week and provided breakfast Monday-Friday. The breakfast is the same every day, but you become appreciative by the end of it. If you are the high maintenance type, I recommend you also learn what it's like for other nations to live, even if they are considered an affluent, developed nation. It is important to immerse yourself in all settings and learn from any type of environment, in my opinion.

Each day we went to the hospital 8-3pm and we normally took the bus which was about a 10 min walk form the dorms. A bus card was provided for us and the walk was very easy (slight incline). The town of Guadalajara is very quaint and pretty. It is not a large town, but there are still a few things to see. There is a mall near the hospital that the students would often visit after their time at the hospital.

At the hospital, we had two rotations per week. I was in Guadalajara for 4 weeks and was assigned up to 8 specialities. However, there were certain specialities that the other fellows were more interested in and if the coordinator thought it was fit, you could re-arrange the specialities that you really desired to have, but were not assigned to. This time was so valuable to me and I will cherish this for the rest of my career. The Spanish doctors are so incredible that I do not even know where to begin in describing them. A few relationships I was able to make were with a few anesthesiologists, the chief of nephrology and an oncologist. Personally, I am not interested in a surgical specialty at all, and so when I was assigned to anesthesia, I did not think it would be one bit exciting. However, I tried to keep an open mind about it and I was able to learn so much. The anesthesiologist I was assigned to was a very young doctor. It was only her 2nd or 3rd year as an attending but she was in her 20s. She was so friendly even though her english was very limited. In the operating room, there is a lot of time with anesthesiologists that you have to wait. So it was a perfect opportunity to talk to the doctor and learn from them. She explained the healthcare system in Spain and what it entails. It is so different from the U.S. and there are aspects that the U.S. healthcare system should adopt. The doctor was always keen on showing me what the surgery was about. She did not know the specifics about each operation because she is not a surgeon, but she would share all the knowledge of the procedures she could with me. I have never felt so personally mentored by a doctor that I had just met. I was able to show my enthusiasm each morning with her that she even invited me to come on other days and to observe an on-call shift. With the approval of my coordinator, I was able to do all of these things. I can list so many different interactions I had with each doctor that I was observing, but this review would never end. I have so much to say about each doctor that I truly do not know where to begin. I still keep in touch with many of the doctors from Spain that I met. The Chief of Nephrology was so encouraging. He gave me words of wisdom and things I can do to improve as a pre-medical student. Still to this day, when he responds to my emails, he always says that he believes in me and affirms me to tell me that I will become a great doctor. It is these kinds of relationships that I was able to build, that have become invaluable experiences to me. The Chief of Nephrology told me that he would love to hear about my pre-medical journey to the end and even when I am able to earn my own degree for him to know how my practice is going. I was so encouraged by him. No doctor has ever shown me that kind of faith that I can accomplish everything I want to. Of course there were specialities that were not as exciting, but I always kept an open mind and I have been able to learn something even from the less exciting specialities.

In addition to the invaluable hospital experiences I was able to gather, there were always two cultural immersion activities a week. These were optional (but they are included in the program fee, so it is recommended to attend them) and with the entire group. My group had about 13 students, including myself and so it was a very manageable size group to go around with. These times were very fun and I learned a lot about Central Spain. We always had a tour guide. In Europe tour guides are highly acclaimed and have to have a lot of education and usually have several masters in different areas such as religion, geography, politics, etc. These highly educated tour guides would explain the history of the areas we visited and it was very informational and fun to hear from a Spanish tour guide.

The dinners we had were pretty excellent. There were 3 (maybe 4) a week and there would always be so much food that I would nearly burst. Additionally, on the weekends, a lot of people would travel by train to different parts of Spain. I went to Valencia with a few of my friends that I made in the program and it was a very fun weekend. Another weekend I spent on-call with the anesthesiologists and another weekend, I was able to visit Madrid (an incredible city). The last weekend I went to Madrid again to shadow a pediatric oncology (my dream speciality) in one of the major hospitals in the city. They did not have pediatric oncologists in Guadalajara. Even this opportunity only came through the Chief of Nephrology who was able to set me up with his friend in Madrid to go and observe. There, I was even offered a research position if ever came back to Spain in an oncology lab. I was so amazed at how eager they are to partner with global health partners. They are so passionate about making medicine globally united to overcome diseases quicker and more efficiently. These opportunities all came from efforts of getting to know the doctors I was shadowing and sharing the interests that I have.

Before this review turns into any longer of an essay, I will say that every penny was worth this program. I am thankful to the Atlantis Project for what it was able to provide for me. It is not a perfect program but it is very invaluable to partake as a fellow at the Atlantis Project. I would highly recommend this program to any pre-medical student. Experiencing European healthcare has never been so rewarding.

I don't have any suggestions, personally.

Brittany
San Luis Obispo, California
California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo

Sao Miguel

I spent 4 weeks on the island of Sao Miguel and can honestly say it was one of the best months of my life. I learned so much from being in the hospital and shadowed much closer to the doctors than I was expecting. You are placed directly into the operating room and the surgeons would take time during the surgery to explain to you what it is they were doing. The AP staff does an amazing job making sure you are comfortable and getting the most out of your time abroad. While learning about different specialties in the hospital, you also get to explore the island and learn about the culture of the Azores. I would join the Atlantis Project again in a heartbeat.

Karla
Connecticut
University of Connecticut

Experiencing Spain's Health Care

In 2015 I went abroad to Toledo Spain to work amongst other students from all over the United States with the Atlantis Project. During my visit I shadowed many different doctors throughout my three week stay and it was the greatest experience. I created a great rapport with the doctors as they explained procedures, medical terms, and learned why they loved what they did within each of their respective fields. I would recommend this program to anyone who is interested in the health care field!

The only thing I would change would be that I would have loved to see other departments at the hospital (Virgen de la Salud, Toledo)

The Atlantis Fellowship is an intensive university-break program abroad for American pre-meds. Atlantis Fellows experience global healthcare through hospital shadowing rotations and prepare for medical school apps through reflective hospital observation, volunteering, medical humanities research, and MCAT prep.