Internship in Italy Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week

Shadow doctors 20+ hours/week in Italy through the Atlantis Fellowship: 1.5-8 week Fellowships during winter or summer breaks.

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) has been providing university students in healthcare-related fields with the opportunity to gain clinical experience in hospitals in Europe and Latin America since 2007. We are committed to the safety of our Fellows, and are constantly working to maximize the educational value of our programs.

• Rotate through different specialties to gain exposure to various medical practices and procedures.
  • Join our Fellowships to make the most of your winter or summer - no need to take time off during your semesters!
  • Immerse yourself in a fellowship abroad to understand healthcare in a global context, and embark on weekly excursions to experience Italian culture, sights, and food.
  • Join a network of accomplished Atlantis Fellows and doctors from around the world.
  • We also have programs to help students prepare for the MCAT.

Claudio

Trip of a Lifetime

My Atlantis experience was one that I’ll never forget and one that helped me narrow down my search for the specialty I would be most interested in pursuing a career in! I spent two and a half weeks this past winter in Pavia, Italy where I had to opportunity to shadow Internal Medicine, Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Surgery, General Surgery, and Nephrology alongside 17 other like-minded and driven undergraduate students from across the country. This experience was so unique because no other program gives students the opportunity to shadow physicians in hospitals while also getting a chance to be fully immersed in a foreign country and getting the chance to explore what the culture of your host nation has to offer! One of my favorite things that Atlantis offered me was the relationships I formed with the other students on my trips. Many of us still keep in contact to this day and it’s so great being able to catch back up with them from time to time and see how they are doing both personally as well as with their journey towards a career in healthcare. Atlantis offered me so much and I’m thankful that I had a chance to complete not one but two trips and I want to encourage anyone looking for a similar experience to apply today!

Samantha

The Atlantis Fellowship

The Atlantis Fellowship will open your eyes, your ears, and your heart. During my Atlantis Fellowship in Genova, Italy, I was able to observe incredible and advanced surgical procedures and create lasting relationships with doctors and friends. I recently became an alumni ambassador for Atlantis because I truly believe the Atlantis Fellowship experience can help many future doctors. My trip greatly helped confirm my goal of becoming a physician, and more specifically a surgeon. Although I have dreamed of becoming a doctor since I was a child, it was during my Atlantis Fellowship in Italy that my dream finally looked as if it could be a reality. Recently, I tore my ACL and both lateral and medial menisci. I chose local anesthesia and a femoral nerve block for the arthroscopic surgery so I could to stay awake and watch my surgery on a monitor. I watched as my surgeon removed my patellar tendon and grafted it as a new ACL. Surprisingly, this experience felt just like my time in Italy, except this time I was the patient on the table. After four weeks in Italy observing Orthopedic, Neuro, and Vascular surgery as well as Urology, I had the courage to watch a procedure done on myself and reminisce on my time in Genova. If I could go on an Atlantis Fellowship again, I certainly would. Atlantis provided me with a life-changing opportunity to experience healthcare in a foreign country and to be exposed to the rewarding, yet often difficult life of doctors and surgeons. The physicians I met will continue to be inspirations to me, as they were so kind, caring and hardworking. The Atlantis Fellowship is without a doubt a one-of-a-kind experience for those looking to become physicians or PAs.

Atlantis is truly an exceptional and unparalleled program. Being able to witness surgeons perform life-saving procedures is the greatest opportunity and something hard to find in the United States. My favorite experience was witnessing a surgeon remove an entire brain tumor he did not think he could resect all of. Atlantis is a very professional program, yet very fun at the same time. I met many good friends from around the country with whom I have kept in contact with. Being surrounded by students who share similar interests as you is incredible as they encourage you and can help you confirm your goals for the future.

I would also like to note that the Atlantis employees have remained so consistent and helpful even months after I returned from Italy. The members of the Atlantis team make the program what it is- wonderful.

I have no suggestions! The program is perfect the way it is.
nico
Nico

A Lasting Impact

The Atlantis Fellowship was something that really solidified my interest in the medical field. I always loved medicine, but I never knew exactly what field I was interested in. Atlantis helped me shadow over 4 different departments (including surgeries) in just 4 weeks. Other than the medical aspect of Atlantis, I was also able to experience a different culture first hand. Being in a different culture opened my mind up to so many more ideas and opportunities. Atlantis is truly the perfect medical experience for future health professionals that love to travel/explore new ideas.

Atlantis is amazing already. However, it can improve by getting more partnerships with Universities. As a pre med student, I always had trouble finding clinical experience with my busy schedule. A pairing with a University would be a great way to tell people about this opportunity.
Kaylee

3 Week Fellowship in Rome, Italy

Atlantis offered me an incredible opportunity to strengthen my interest in medicine and expand my knowledge. The shadowing experience in the hospital was amazing and I got to see and learn more than I ever would have imagined. I had rotations in radiology, vascular surgery, and general surgery. The site managers were amazing and our group far exceeded my expectations. The planned group meals and excursions were great experiences also! I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in pursuing a career in medicine.

Timothy

Summer in Italy

Atlantis gave me the opportunity to feel important in the hospital, as if I truly belong there. They gave me the opportunity to stand close by a surgeon during a procedure, sit next to doctors performing exams, and be taught how to read MRI scans. They also allowed me to travel on my own if I so choosed to. I was able to experience the Italian culture in more than one city while I was abroad. Because of Atlantis I can now say that I have Lifelong friendships with other Atlantis Fellows and even Doctors! Atlantis really helped me in knowing that Medicine was right for me!

It could be improved by trusting it's fellows to visit other fellows housing sites.
Sienna

Fellowship in Rome, Italy

This past summer I went abroad and experienced a once in a lifetime fellowship in Rome, Italy. For four weeks I witnessed many different procedures in the operating room, and worked right by side the surgeons and nurses. Each week we got assigned to a new specialty and physician to learn and grow from. I was able to expand my network in the medical world, as well as meeting new friends I know I will stay in contact with for life. Being in Europe, studying their medical techniques was an opportunity I never thought I would have. I really appreciated the constant support the doctors gave each fellow. They encouraged us to be proactive and ask questions because they were just as eager to teach as we were to learn. I came back from my time in Rome knowing exactly what I wanted to do with my career and I also came back having more knowledge of the European medical system. This experience was more than I could have ever asked for.

This program really does do well with working side by side with the doctors in the hospital and making sure that is the best aspect of the fellowship, but I do think the housing could have been upgraded for us and the site managers being a little less overbearing.
Meghan

Atlantis/Shadowing Doctors 20+hrs a week

This program allowed me to experience the average day of a doctor in a different country. I had the experience of shadowing doctors in Trieste, Italy. I was able to gain more knowledge of how our health care system and day of a doctor is so different when compared to other countries. I am a Pre-Med student and want to become a medic in the Military, so when I had the opportunity to go work overseas I knew this would be something fit for me. I was able to work in all different kinds of departments in the hospital, that gave me a opportunity to experience how life will be when I reach my career goal. Not only did I learn so much of how hospitals work in other countries, but I also had the opportunity to learn a lot about different cultures in other countries. I was able to build amazing relations with my doctors and fellows throughout the three weeks I was in Italy.

I don't really have any complaints, everyone in this program was extremely helpful and made sure we were always taken care of. I would have only asked for more volunteering hours, because I enjoyed being in the hospital so much.
Sabrina

My Atlantis Fellowship experience

I decided to participate in the Atlantis Fellowship becauseI have heard many great things about it. I wanted to shadow doctors, but where I live, it's very competitive and difficult to get the opportunity to do so. Once I heard about Atlantis, I was interested and wanted to know more! After everything was finalized and confirmed I was going to Rome to shadow doctors abroad, it felt so surreal. It felt more surreal when I was in the hospital observing surgeries. Not only was I able to learn about the European healthcare system, I was fascinated by the Italian cultures too. Going on this fellowship to shadow doctors abroad, was by far one of the best decisions I have made.

N/A
Anisa

Exploring the Healthcare System in Genoa, Italy: San Martino Hospital

The Atlantis program allowed me to gain several new perspectives, build a network of professional relationships, learn about my potential, understand the importance of studying medicine cross-culturally, and ultimately observe a different healthcare system. Every week offered a new experience as I shadowed in different departments. I had the opportunity to shadow medical professionals in anesthesiology, orthopedics, oncology, pathology, and neurosurgery. Although there was a language barrier in every patient room I entered, this challenged me to constantly ask questions and gain more exposure than I thought possible.

There were departments that let me down (meaning they did not show up). This was due to the public health care system and doctors taking advantage of their hours. However, witnessing these issues opened my eyes to several components involved in this type of health equity. These kinks were also immediately addressed by site manages who worked hard to address the challenges within the partnership between Atlantis and the San Martino institution. I think making sure you communicate the departments you would like to shadow and understanding if they're available in the hospital is important!!! The departments available at San Martino were not made clear prior to my fellowship so when I arrived I was disappointed that pediatrics was only offered at the Children's hospital miles away. I think improvement within pre-departure shadowing information is crucial!
Briana

My Time in Bergamo, Italy

I decided to pursue the Atlantis Fellowship to help me decide whether I wanted a future in research, in a hospital environment with direct patient contact or in a surgical environment. The interview process was highly coordinated, smoothly run and simple. After learning I was accepted, I decided to go on the Atlantis Fellowship to Bergamo, Italy due to its authentic, small Italian town reputation that had very little tourism. The best part of this amazing experience was being able to be in the surgical room standing directly in front of the patient and witnessing mind boggling surgery a few feet away. After this experience I have learned that I wish to pursue surgery and medical school, but I have also gained traveling skills, interpersonal skills and cultural competence, along with much more. The Atlantis Fellowship was a life changing opportunity; if you have the chance, do it!

This program can be improved by creating more communication with fellows while traveling to the site, if a fellow requests.
Madison

Atlantis Italy Review

I absolutely loved every minute of my experience with Atlantis. I chose to go to Milan, Italy and it was the time of my life. I loved being in the hospital learning new things and seeing incredible surgeries. I also loved the group excursions and meals we all have together. The whole trip is so well thought out and well organized. It exceeded my expectations and I 1000000% recommend it to anyone who has and inkling of interest.

This program, I feel, is already running like a well oiled machine. I do not feel like there is an area that could use improvement because everything already works so well
Giovanna

My Summer Shadowing with Atlantis, Italy!

What a summer! I had the opportunity to fly over to Italy and spend three weeks shadowing some of the most talented surgeons in the country - one being the head of the department who is one of the top 10 surgeons in the world! I attended the Italian program in Milan at the San Rafaelle Hospital. I'll break this review down into two; 1. shadowing and 2. experience outside the hospital. Firstly, you begin your days very early as expected, you commute to the hospital, which I personally thought it was good overall since we became familiar with public transportation and got ourselves more organized to arrive in time. I personally had the chance to watch a handful of surgeries in cardiac-surgery and hematology/oncology. My very last department was the Neurology, and although I did not have time to get in neurosurgery, I managed to see very interesting and shocking cases - some of those you did not believe were possible. The way in which Atlantis organizes your week was very effective as they focused one department per week. In this way, you are able to build a better relationship with doctors and residents and get familiar with the department in a more adequate manner. Additionally, the interaction with doctors was not as challenging as you'd expect when speaking another language. Most physicians were able to speak English, and if not, there was always a medical student who was able to accompany you throughout the day. Although their schedules are busy, your presence does not come as inconvenient or disrupting as the staff treats you like any other medical student of theirs, and are open to questions and teaching. Although it is not a hands-on experience, observation is a key factor in learning - there is nothing that compares to a heart in a textbook to a beating heart right in front of you. Secondly, outside the hospital was just as thrilling. All the fellows in my group got along well, we built a sort of family among us and it was very fulfilling to be able to leave the hospital and meet your friends afterwards for a lovely meal or go out and explore the city. The site managers were our absolute favourite. Initially, I was nervous in coming into a group of strangers and dealing with three strict adult managers, however my expectations were blown-up: the site managers were the most charismatic, social and caring people I have met, specially when dealing with this many people all together (our group was of 28). They were proactive, were always at your disposition for help and provided us the best of all activities and plan b's when something went wrong. Their constant energy and personalities enabled us to create a better sense of community among us and made all of this even more worth it. I could go on forever, but my final say is the following: Atlantis is a unique experience. You get the shadowing experience, where back home I do not have that much of a direct access to with doctors, surgeries, patients and learning as well as the social experience, when meeting your fellows, site managers and exploring the city you will be living in for a while. It is the best of both worlds and every penny is worth it.

In all honesty, the entire process of application, pre-departure and program were above expectations.

About Atlantis

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) was founded in 2007, and our mission is to equip future healthcare leaders to pursue their callings passionately. Since then, our programs have expanded to include global hospital partners across...