Internship in Italy Shadow Doctors 20+ Hours/Week

Students in an Italian cooking class
Students in an Italian cooking class
Colosseum
Colosseum

Shadow doctors 20+ hours/week in Italy through the Atlantis program: 1.5-8 week programs during winter or summer breaks.

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) has been providing university students in healthcare-related fields with the opportunity to gain clinical experience in hospitals in Europe and Latin America since 2007. We are committed to the safety of our students, and are constantly working to maximize the educational value of our programs.

• Rotate through different specialties to gain exposure to various medical practices and procedures.
  • Join our programs to make the most of your winter or summer - no need to take time off during your semesters!
  • Immerse yourself in a program abroad to understand healthcare in a global context, and embark on weekly excursions to experience Italian culture, sights, and food.
  • Join a network of accomplished Atlantis Alumni and doctors from around the world.
  • We also have programs to help students prepare for the MCAT.

Amariza

Amazing!

The fellowship I did in Trieste, Italy was an amazing experience. I got to meet new people from across the US who are instead in the same career path as me. I also got to know a experience a completely different care system than the one in the US. I also got to learn about the culture in Trieste. I would definitely recommend this fellowship! My site manager was really helpful and nice. It was great to see the city through the eyes of a local. I definitely saw things and are places that I would have not see or eaten had it not been for my site manager. This fellowship helped in reaffirming my decision to go into medicine and become a doctor. I was able to shadow different doctors in different types of departments. For example, cardiology, neurology, radiology and general surgery!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I saw was the culture in Trieste and how different it is from the US.
Sarah

3 Week Genoa Experience

Prior to my trip, I was nervous because I will be beginning my first year of college this fall. It was my first shadowing experience. The atlantis staff on the post enrollment team dissipated that fear by giving me all the information I needed before going abroad. After I meet all the other fellows, I realized I would be learning as much from them as I would be from the hospital and city. They each had different backgrounds and different topics they were knowledgeable on. Between the other fellows, shadowing in the hospital (ER, Pediatric Surgery, and Neurosurgery) and my incredible site manager, I had a life-changing experience. My indecision about pursuing medicine is gone and I am beyond excited to begin my studies without any fear this career path isn’t for me.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
When I arrived in Genoa, my luggage was unfortunately still in Paris. I had very few belongings and knew I would need to purchase a bunch of items. After talking with my site Manager, I found out my airline covers a certain percentage of my purchases that result from the lost baggage.
Nicole

Trieste, Italy

Going to Trieste was the best experience of my life. I am currently a pre-med student and was struggling with finding shadowing internships until I came across an ad on instagram for Atlantis. I was hesitant to apply because I assumed it was false advertisement. Boy was I wrong. This program is amazing and I am happy to report that I have no regrets with my trip to Italy. Shadowing was amazing and of course the language barrier was a little difficult in the hospital, but it has made me more aware of the fact that there are different cultures out there and we need to be tolerant. I learned more about medicine from my three weeks in Trieste than any book could teach me. Not only do I have some hours down to prepare for my medical school application but I have experience and a great memory to share with others. So thank you Atlantis!

Be prepared to travel by yourself. It is scary but the most rewarding thing ever because you know you were able to travel to another country all on your own.
Cayla

LIFE CHANGING

If you are even slightly interested in pursuing a career in healthcare, Atlantis is for you!! I have shadowed countless times in the United States, and I can honestly say that Atlantis proved to be the richest and most valuable of all my shadowing experiences thus far! This fellowship challenges you to escape the comfortable perimeters of your own medical culture and teaches you that healthcare is such a beautiful universal language! This fellowship taught me so much about myself, about my host country, and about medicine. Although I missed home, three weeks came and went far too quickly! I cannot recommend it enough! If you are considering doing an Atlantis fellowship, please GO DO IT!!!!! It will be one of your best decisions, I promise!

I can truly say I have no suggestions for improvement! My fellowship experience was incredible in every way!
Tirzah

Atlantis Italy

This was my first experience abroad and I have to say when it came to an end I did not want to leave. The site mangers were so knowledgable of the city and they did a great job showing us around. They planned amazing weekly excursions for us not just of Rome but throughout Italy. Not only did I get a great experience abroad but I learned so much from shadowing in the hospital. Every doctor that I worked with knew english well so the language barrier was not an issue. They were all so kind and seemed to really want us to learn from them. What I saw and learned in the hospital was nothing near what I could have learned as an undergraduate student in the US. It was a great mix of education and fun for the three weeks that I was there. From this experience, I have expanded my interest in the medical field and I have developed a new love for travel.

The communication between the fellows and the post enrollment team prior to the trip.
Sashwat

Atlantis Fellowship - Genova Italy

I am very very satisfied with my shadowing experience abroad in Italy. At first, I did have my concerns as the AAMC shows statistics and discourages students from SHADOWING abroad due to the risk of students being involved in medical procedures. I would like to clear this doubt for those who are interested in this fellowship as Atlantis is VERY VERY strict and abides by their policy of no physical fellow-patient interaction. Atlantis is very clear with all the rules that must be followed etc. That being said, the fellowship was incredible. I was able to shadow under general surgery, urology, and vascular surgery. All of these departments always had surgeries or patients and all the hospital staff were incredibly helpful. Though some of the hospital staff did not speak english, many if not all residents spoke english and were able to explain procedures to you if the attending surgeon was busy. Many of these doctors are incredibly well trained and have excellent english so language barrier is usually not a problem.

Aside from shadowing, the weekly excursions (I don't want to spoil them if you are attending the fellowship) were very very fun. There's a lot of pictures to be taken and a lot of friendships to be made and it was quite the experience. Genova is very very scenic with mountains, beaches (mostly rocky but you can still find sandy beaches), and architecture. Genova is known for their pesto and I really really recommend you try it.

The Atlantis fellowship is expensive but provides you an experience that is priceless. I was able to pay for this through fundraising, asking family members, working a part-time job, and a little bit of assistance from my parents. This really has taught me good saving/spending habits for my future.

I highly advise future travelers to get to know the other fellows prior to the fellowship. It'll allow you to adjust much quicker.
Melody

Lead of faith

When I saw this opportunity to go abroad and shadow doctors I was immediately intrigued. I thought about it for a couple weeks, and I kept on finding reasons why not to go... “it’s so far” “i should work this summer” “it’s not the right time”
I then realized, it will never be the “right” time. I just have to take the leap of faith and just do it! I did exactly that, and I don’t regret it one bit. Not only did I submerge myself in a different culture, I met doctors and nurses who I now have built a relationship with. If you ever go to Rome, one piece of advice is never plug in a hair dryer and have the washing machine going, unless you wanna be in the dark for the rest of the day. The adventure was everything I could have ever asked for, thank you for the opportunity.

Claudio

Trip of a Lifetime

My Atlantis experience was one that I’ll never forget and one that helped me narrow down my search for the specialty I would be most interested in pursuing a career in! I spent two and a half weeks this past winter in Pavia, Italy where I had to opportunity to shadow Internal Medicine, Neurosurgery, Orthopedic Surgery, General Surgery, and Nephrology alongside 17 other like-minded and driven undergraduate students from across the country. This experience was so unique because no other program gives students the opportunity to shadow physicians in hospitals while also getting a chance to be fully immersed in a foreign country and getting the chance to explore what the culture of your host nation has to offer! One of my favorite things that Atlantis offered me was the relationships I formed with the other students on my trips. Many of us still keep in contact to this day and it’s so great being able to catch back up with them from time to time and see how they are doing both personally as well as with their journey towards a career in healthcare. Atlantis offered me so much and I’m thankful that I had a chance to complete not one but two trips and I want to encourage anyone looking for a similar experience to apply today!

Samantha

The Atlantis Fellowship

The Atlantis Fellowship will open your eyes, your ears, and your heart. During my Atlantis Fellowship in Genova, Italy, I was able to observe incredible and advanced surgical procedures and create lasting relationships with doctors and friends. I recently became an alumni ambassador for Atlantis because I truly believe the Atlantis Fellowship experience can help many future doctors. My trip greatly helped confirm my goal of becoming a physician, and more specifically a surgeon. Although I have dreamed of becoming a doctor since I was a child, it was during my Atlantis Fellowship in Italy that my dream finally looked as if it could be a reality. Recently, I tore my ACL and both lateral and medial menisci. I chose local anesthesia and a femoral nerve block for the arthroscopic surgery so I could to stay awake and watch my surgery on a monitor. I watched as my surgeon removed my patellar tendon and grafted it as a new ACL. Surprisingly, this experience felt just like my time in Italy, except this time I was the patient on the table. After four weeks in Italy observing Orthopedic, Neuro, and Vascular surgery as well as Urology, I had the courage to watch a procedure done on myself and reminisce on my time in Genova. If I could go on an Atlantis Fellowship again, I certainly would. Atlantis provided me with a life-changing opportunity to experience healthcare in a foreign country and to be exposed to the rewarding, yet often difficult life of doctors and surgeons. The physicians I met will continue to be inspirations to me, as they were so kind, caring and hardworking. The Atlantis Fellowship is without a doubt a one-of-a-kind experience for those looking to become physicians or PAs.

Atlantis is truly an exceptional and unparalleled program. Being able to witness surgeons perform life-saving procedures is the greatest opportunity and something hard to find in the United States. My favorite experience was witnessing a surgeon remove an entire brain tumor he did not think he could resect all of. Atlantis is a very professional program, yet very fun at the same time. I met many good friends from around the country with whom I have kept in contact with. Being surrounded by students who share similar interests as you is incredible as they encourage you and can help you confirm your goals for the future.

I would also like to note that the Atlantis employees have remained so consistent and helpful even months after I returned from Italy. The members of the Atlantis team make the program what it is- wonderful.

I have no suggestions! The program is perfect the way it is.
Read my full story
nico
Nico

A Lasting Impact

The Atlantis Fellowship was something that really solidified my interest in the medical field. I always loved medicine, but I never knew exactly what field I was interested in. Atlantis helped me shadow over 4 different departments (including surgeries) in just 4 weeks. Other than the medical aspect of Atlantis, I was also able to experience a different culture first hand. Being in a different culture opened my mind up to so many more ideas and opportunities. Atlantis is truly the perfect medical experience for future health professionals that love to travel/explore new ideas.

Atlantis is amazing already. However, it can improve by getting more partnerships with Universities. As a pre med student, I always had trouble finding clinical experience with my busy schedule. A pairing with a University would be a great way to tell people about this opportunity.
Kaylee

3 Week Fellowship in Rome, Italy

Atlantis offered me an incredible opportunity to strengthen my interest in medicine and expand my knowledge. The shadowing experience in the hospital was amazing and I got to see and learn more than I ever would have imagined. I had rotations in radiology, vascular surgery, and general surgery. The site managers were amazing and our group far exceeded my expectations. The planned group meals and excursions were great experiences also! I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in pursuing a career in medicine.

Timothy

Summer in Italy

Atlantis gave me the opportunity to feel important in the hospital, as if I truly belong there. They gave me the opportunity to stand close by a surgeon during a procedure, sit next to doctors performing exams, and be taught how to read MRI scans. They also allowed me to travel on my own if I so choosed to. I was able to experience the Italian culture in more than one city while I was abroad. Because of Atlantis I can now say that I have Lifelong friendships with other Atlantis Fellows and even Doctors! Atlantis really helped me in knowing that Medicine was right for me!

It could be improved by trusting it's fellows to visit other fellows housing sites.
Read my full story
Sienna

Fellowship in Rome, Italy

This past summer I went abroad and experienced a once in a lifetime fellowship in Rome, Italy. For four weeks I witnessed many different procedures in the operating room, and worked right by side the surgeons and nurses. Each week we got assigned to a new specialty and physician to learn and grow from. I was able to expand my network in the medical world, as well as meeting new friends I know I will stay in contact with for life. Being in Europe, studying their medical techniques was an opportunity I never thought I would have. I really appreciated the constant support the doctors gave each fellow. They encouraged us to be proactive and ask questions because they were just as eager to teach as we were to learn. I came back from my time in Rome knowing exactly what I wanted to do with my career and I also came back having more knowledge of the European medical system. This experience was more than I could have ever asked for.

This program really does do well with working side by side with the doctors in the hospital and making sure that is the best aspect of the fellowship, but I do think the housing could have been upgraded for us and the site managers being a little less overbearing.
Meghan

Atlantis/Shadowing Doctors 20+hrs a week

This program allowed me to experience the average day of a doctor in a different country. I had the experience of shadowing doctors in Trieste, Italy. I was able to gain more knowledge of how our health care system and day of a doctor is so different when compared to other countries. I am a Pre-Med student and want to become a medic in the Military, so when I had the opportunity to go work overseas I knew this would be something fit for me. I was able to work in all different kinds of departments in the hospital, that gave me a opportunity to experience how life will be when I reach my career goal. Not only did I learn so much of how hospitals work in other countries, but I also had the opportunity to learn a lot about different cultures in other countries. I was able to build amazing relations with my doctors and fellows throughout the three weeks I was in Italy.

I don't really have any complaints, everyone in this program was extremely helpful and made sure we were always taken care of. I would have only asked for more volunteering hours, because I enjoyed being in the hospital so much.
Sabrina

My Atlantis Fellowship experience

I decided to participate in the Atlantis Fellowship becauseI have heard many great things about it. I wanted to shadow doctors, but where I live, it's very competitive and difficult to get the opportunity to do so. Once I heard about Atlantis, I was interested and wanted to know more! After everything was finalized and confirmed I was going to Rome to shadow doctors abroad, it felt so surreal. It felt more surreal when I was in the hospital observing surgeries. Not only was I able to learn about the European healthcare system, I was fascinated by the Italian cultures too. Going on this fellowship to shadow doctors abroad, was by far one of the best decisions I have made.

Location:
Milan Malpensa
( MXP )
Venice Marco Polo
( VCE )

Italy has long been a bucket list item for people, and its no wonder with the ancient ruins, astounding scenery, and renowned museums; all accompanied by the beautiful Italian language. When visiting Italy, be prepared to see big differences in accents and food while moving between regions.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Atlantis

Atlantis (formerly known as the Atlantis Project) was founded in 2007, and our mission is to equip future healthcare leaders to pursue their callings passionately. Since then, our programs have expanded to include global hospital partners across...