Summer Volunteer Program in Fiji: Empowering Island Communities™

Summer Volunteer Program in Fiji: Empowering Island Communities™

Fiji is indeed a tropical paradise, but is also a country with tremendous need. Many rural schools lack proper water and electricity and have insufficient housing for teachers.

Community Service
- Help the local youth as you work to improve the learning environment at their school
- Monitor and collect data for ongoing research to establish a marine sanctuary
- Construct and maintain water filtration systems, and implement food sustainability projects

Hands-On Learning
- Learn how the geographical distribution of this population limits access to resources, while offering solutions through hands-on assistance
- Assist communities in protecting the environment that is so integral to their way of life.
- Uncover the complexities of each challenge as you play games with the children, marvel at the diversity of the rain forest

Adventure
- Learn what it is like to truly live off of the land
- Glide by boat over crystal blue waters and swim alongside majestic sea life

Oceania » Fiji
Program Categories
Includes: All meals and purified water, Lodging in GLA Home-Base, All excursions and activities, 24-hour emergency hotline, Airport Transportation, Local Transportation, Pre-departure Orientation, Travel, medical and evacuation insurance, Phone call home upon arrival.

Isabel
Birmingham, Michigan
University of Michigan

The Best Three Weeks of My Life

This past summer I traveled to Fiji for three weeks with Global Leadership Adventures and I can honestly say it was the best experience I have ever had. Every new place we went we were greeted with the warmest welcomes and friendliest smiles I had ever seen in my life. The program director, mentors, and local staff were so incredibly helpful, supportive, intelligent, and fun. The food and housing were always great. The balance between service and adventure was awesome, we worked for long hours in the villages on a variety of projects but it was always fun. When we got back we had free time to jump in the ocean or hang out in a hammock. The excursions to see stingrays and the long mountain hikes were incredible. And the nightly meeting where we talked about leadership and our views on the world were so engaging and informative. While I was there I also became best friends with the other students on the trip, and since then have flown across the country to visit them. Everyone was so welcoming and nobody was left out, we all had so much fun together. My time in Fiji was without a doubt be the best experience I have had to date, and I know when I came home I was a changed person. I expanded my horizons and immersed myself into a new culture. I gained new knowledge of people around the world, and new insight into the vast world that is out there. My trip challenged me, it pushed me and tired me out but at the end of the day it proved to be so incredibly rewarding. I recommend this program so much to anyone who wants to do service in another country and expand their horizons. The spirit of the country was indescribable, one of the best things I have experienced in my life. The GLA staff did an amazing job organizing this and I'm so happy I was lucky enough to be a part of it!

Honestly I have no comments, everything about it was incredible and I wouldn't change a thing.

Emma
Los Angeles

How Fiji Changed My Life

Words can't describe how special this program is. You get to swim with manta rays, see islands stretch for miles, laugh and play games with some of the greatest kids you'll meet, and create friendships that will last a lifetime. I thought this was the perfect amount of freedom mixed with 100% adult assistance for high schoolers. I also loved that this wasn't just a vacation, it was a chance to make a difference. I would not change this trip for anything and I will remember it for the rest of my life.

I feel like another day on the main island would be fun. I felt like I had enough time, but I'm sure if there was another day I would understand the culture on the main island even better.

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many students call a life-changing experience, not just a spring break