Spend your summer enjoying the season of the midnight sun when the days are long and the weather is welcoming. During this five-week program in Finland, you’ll have lots of time to engage with your host family and become a part of the community. Most Finns love the outdoors, so you’ll get to explore the country’s unspoiled natural landscape. Many families even have summer lake cottages where you can relax on the weekends. And if you’re worried about the language barrier, don’t be: many Finns are actually fluent in English!
Since you’ll be around during the summer, you’ll get to experience the famous midnight sun (when it’s light out nearly all day and night). It’s an incredible season to come to Finland, and you’ll find lots of people outdoors celebrating the end of the long winter. Summer is also a good time for relaxing in the sauna, and you’ll be happy to discover that nearly every modern home or apartment in Finland has one. Become a cultural insider this summer in
- Experience Finland in the summer—a time for celebration! This includes lounging on the beach, attending music festivals, and enjoying nature.
- Take part in Finland’s active culture by going cycling, sailing, or fishing.
- Indulge in Finland’s delicious cuisine like makkara (sausage), roasted over a fire and eaten with sinappi (mustard).
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.