AFS Study Abroad Summer Program in Finland

One of the many beautiful Finnish lakes.
This is me at my host family's veterinary clinic! I have always wanted to be a vet, so I got to shadow vets at the clinic! That's one of the many reasons why I say my host family was perfect for me!!
My group! There were 11 of us going to Finland for the program last summer.
Finland
Finland
Homestay in Finland
Homestay in Finland
group in all blue with Finland flag
group in all blue with Finland flag
northern lights in Finland
northern lights in Finland

Spend your summer enjoying the season of the midnight sun when the days are long and the weather is welcoming. During this five-week program in Finland, you’ll have lots of time to engage with your host family and become a part of the community. Most Finns love the outdoors, so you’ll get to explore the country’s unspoiled natural landscape. Many families even have summer lake cottages where you can relax on the weekends. And if you’re worried about the language barrier, don’t be: many Finns are actually fluent in English!

Since you’ll be around during the summer, you’ll get to experience the famous midnight sun (when it’s light out nearly all day and night). It’s an incredible season to come to Finland, and you’ll find lots of people outdoors celebrating the end of the long winter. Summer is also a good time for relaxing in the sauna, and you’ll be happy to discover that nearly every modern home or apartment in Finland has one. Become a cultural insider this summer in

• Experience Finland in the summer—a time for celebration! This includes lounging on the beach, attending music festivals, and enjoying nature.
  • Take part in Finland’s active culture by going cycling, sailing, or fishing.
  • Indulge in Finland’s delicious cuisine like makkara (sausage), roasted over a fire and eaten with sinappi (mustard).
  • Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
  • Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.

AFS-USA Scholarships
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships

The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study abroad students.

$1,000 - $5,000

Hi, thanks for stopping by! To get a feel for what your time abroad will be like, we recommend reading program reviews. You can read reviews at the bottom of this link, under "Reviews": https://www.gooverseas.com/high-school-abroad/finland/progr… .

Jennifer

Finland Summer Home-stay Review

I absolutely loved my time abroad in Finland! It was the most amazing and educational experience of my entire life and I grew so much even though it was a relatively short 5 week trip. I made lasting friendships with my entire host family and the other students who traveled with me to Finland.
While I was located primarily in Helsinki, students may end up living in cities all over Finland depending on where their host family lives. Students will likely have the opportunity to visit a summer cottage, if their family owns one, as well! Either way everyone will end up with a unique and life changing experience.
I would absolutely encourage anyone considering this trip to just go for it, and to try as many new things as possible while abroad!

The trip itself was absolutely amazing, including the day-long seminars in New York and Helsinki. Some of the preparatory seminars that are mandatory before one even gets to New York are a little bit tedious as they do not provide new information that is not also covered in the New York seminar. However I understand why this choice was made, as it is important to be sure that the students are well educated about cultural differences and safety procedures.
Read my full story
Rachel

The Best Summer of My Life

I went on this program last summer (summer of 2014), and I was 16. It was absolutely fantastic. However, I'd like to caution you that it could have been a terrible experience if I hadn't gotten so lucky as to get the best host family in the world.

Many of my friends who also went on the program were not well matched with their host families, which resulted in a bad experience for them overall. I don't think that this was the fault of the program; I think it was just because there didn't happen to be host families available that were a good fit for them. If you are considering going on this program (or any study abroad program, really) make sure that you are ready to explore the country and enjoy yourself even if your host family is not the most fun or interesting.

Okay, back to the good stuff. Finland is, in my (very biased) opinion, one of the best places for a teenager to study abroad. This is because Finns spend a lot of time alone and deep in thought. I really changed as a person while in Finland because of all of that thought, and many of my friends did too. We learned more about ourselves and became more mature.

I know that there are a few things that lots of people worry about before they go to Finland, so really quickly, I'm going to tell you the absolute truth (at least, from my experience):
1. Saunas. Don't worry, it's totally acceptable to wear a bathing suit. I always did. You'll probably wind up in the sauna with people who don't wear bathing suits, but it's not a big deal. Seriously, don't overthink it. Girls will be with girls and boys with boys, so there's nothing to be afraid of. Saunas are one of my favorite parts of being in Finland!
2. Weather. For the summer program, you really shouldn't worry. Of the 6 weeks, I was in shorts + T-shirts for about 4-5 of them. Finland does have slightly chillier summers than I'm used to (I'm from Michigan), but you don't need to bundle up or abandon your dreams of going to the beach. I swam every day for the majority of the program, and I was rarely cold. Just bring a couple hoodies and jeans in case.
3. Language. Finnish is hard; there's no other way to put it. But you don't need to worry! Frankly, you don't even need to know any Finnish in Finland because most people know English. Not everyone is fluent, but you will always be able to find someone who speaks enough English to be your friend or to help you if you need it. I didn't know any Finnish when I arrived and had no troubles with that. Sure, it would've been nice to know some Finnish, but it wasn't a big deal.
4. Homesickness. This is a bit of a problem, to be honest. I only got a tad homesick, but I've never gotten homesick before. It's bound to happen when you're so far from home for so long, and the time alone makes it worse. Even still, you'll be fine. AFS is great at giving you advice that will keep you from getting homesick. Trust me, it really works! If you've been away from home for at least 2 weeks without trouble, then you're fine for the program.

If you can't tell, I really like this program, and I definitely recommend it to most anyone. I would not recommend it to anyone who doesn't like the outdoors (Finns LOVE the outdoors), isn't open minded when learning about foreign countries, has had serious problems with being homesick in the past, or isn't ready to step outside of their comfort zones and enjoy themselves even if it's tempting to withdraw from everyone else. If you go on the program, my biggest advice is: be determined to have fun, no matter where you are or what you're doing.

Better host family placement. Some of my friends were poorly matched with their host families or had host families that knew very little English.

Alumni Interviews

About AFS-USA

AFS-USA (formerly the American Field Service), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a leader in intercultural learning and offers international exchange programs in more than 40 countries around the world through independent, nonprofit AFS...