Semester and Academic Year Study Abroad Programs in France

Spend a trimester, semester or year studying abroad in France as a high school student, and live like like local while perfecting your French language skills. Students are matched with a carefully screened local host family and attend a local high school for a full immersion experience abroad.

Now is your chance to explore all that the country's history, art, language, and literature has to offer while boosting your college application and having the high school experience of a lifetime!

Program at a Glance:
-- Host family accommodation provides a full language & culture immersion experience
-- Must have 2 years of French language experience
-- You can choose between 1 or 2-months, trimester, semester or academic year length programs
-- Straightforward online application process
-- Start dates available in spring or fall

Program Fees:
1 Month: $8,480
2 Month: $9,130
Academic Trimester: $9,910
Academic Semester: $11,900
Academic Year: $12,940

• Flight, host family accommodations and meals included in the program fee
  • Assistance from a personal program manager before, during and after your program
  • Medical Insurance and 24/7 Emergency Contact Support
  • Language and Culture program (4 days) included
  • Apply by seasonal early bird deadlines for up to $500 off your program fee

Ian

Life Changing

My 6 month study abroad program in France helped me not only gain fluency in the french language but it helped me gain a much stronger independence and confidence as well as self-understanding that I feel can only be accomplished through an experience like studying abroad. I met amazing people in my host community as well as other exchange students from all over the world, and was able to see some of the most beautiful parts of the world in my travels throughout France, and it was all possible thanks to Greenheart travel who connected me with an amazing host family and school in a really cool town.

Lily

Greenheart travel in France

I just got back from spending 3 months in Lyon living with a family and helping them with English. It was an amazing experience and I would highly recommend it. I absolutely loved the family I stayed with. They really made me feel apart of their family.
Teaching English there was hard but really fun. It was hard because my family knew English very well and it was difficult to come up with lessons where they learned something new but it was very rewarding when I could teach them new things.
I think one of my favorite memories was having Thanksgiving with them. I made the whole dinner by myself. I got to share with them different dishes they have never tried before and I got to explain to them the story of the First Thanksgiving.
I think it was difficult at first because I spent a lot of time at home alone because my family was at school or working but I put myself out there and met new people that I would never get the opportunity to meet.
I think knowing French is important. My family and I spoke in French and in English. I took French in high school for 4 years but your dont reallyknow your proficiency level until you're there trying to communicate. I struggled with French when I first arrived but it is amazing to see how much I improved over the 3 months.

I think it would be nice if there was an option to stay longer than 3 months. I would've loved to stay 6 months or even a year in Lyon. I think it would also be nice if Greenheart or WEP (the greenheart equivalent in France) had more get-togethers where I couldve met more people doing the same thing as me because it was difficult making friends.
Olivia

Five months in France

I was a junior when I first came came along Greenheart, I was immediately enthralled with the idea to go live in a foreign country and witness their customs and traditions.
I was in France for 5 months and I got back in the end of January of 2015. I loved my exchange to France! I met the most amazing family and had the most amazing friends. I got to really see what life was like in France.
The only advice I have is to be careful with what form of money you bring to France, as a lot of times Traveller checks don't work and neither do visas (because they don't have a chip) be safe and take a debit card!
I had no difficulty with homesickness as I felt really comfortable with my host family. It's a good idea to really stick to the calling of parents once or twice a week.
The only issue I had was with my school. The amount of people who told me in France that the French were very exclusive was incredible. Io can admit that I had Zero friends at school but It didn't really affect me because I had a ton of friends outside of school.
I feel like since I have been back, I have had more homesickness to going back to France than I have ever had while I was in France.

I would say maybe more backgrounds on schools there because the school I went to really didn't help with my french as myself along with 4 other exchange students were stuck at the back of the class and not really talked to.
Helen

Cultural Exchange

Everyday living abroad is a complete adventure, and with adventure comes excitement and it isn't a good adventure unless you run into some problems. I became very very close with my host family and I couldn't imagine how I could have ever possibly been placed better. My match was PERFECT. Although the overall experience was wondrous, I did run into some hard moments. I learned the hard way that being sick away from home is really quite hard. However a life on exchange, like life at home, cannot be always perfect. No matter where you live you'll have good days and bad days.
But choosing to study in high school is quite different than studying abroad in college. In high school, you live with a family and are truly confined to the household and the house rules. You are accepted as a family member, not as a privileged guest, which is very important to remember.
My best experience from study abroad was the travelling we did. With my family I was able to go to the French Alps, London, The Maldives, and Cannes. They really made sure that I saw the country I was living in and I was really grateful.

I would recommend going for a whole year if you can. I wouldn't have been able to miss a year of high school and get into the university I was interested in.

As for the program, I think they should do a bit more research into the schools they put students in. The school I was changed into was great, but apparently the first school I was supposed to go to had a bad reputation.

About Greenheart Travel

Greenheart Travel is a 501(c)3 non-profit, mission driven organization based in Chicago, USA. We are passionate about providing immersive cultural immersion experiences for teenagers and adults in countries all over the world.

Teach English Abroad |...