France: French Language & Culinary Training

Experience Paris, France’s beautiful capital. You’ll mingle with Parisians in a café for a morning croissant before strolling to the Champs-Élysées, Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, or the Louvre. Taste traditional baguettes, cheeses, and local delicacies, and enjoy a picnic on the Seine’s famous Left Bank. You will explore the Montmartre arts district beneath the spires of Sacré-Coeur and dine at quaint cafés.

Enhance your French during a week of formal instruction, then put your skills to use during your homestay. You will get to know the culinary specialties of the region by cooking meals with your host family. This is good practice for your culinary classes at the famed Institut Paul Bocuse in Lyon. There, you will learn from professional chefs how to cook meals and desserts with fresh, sustainable, and high-quality ingredients. You will also visit Lyon’s famed food market, Les Halles, a foodie paradise with countless gourmet delights. Your culinary journey ends in Paris.

• Culinary
  • Language
  • Arts
  • Sustainability
  • Homestay

Karina

Best Summer of my Life

My summer adventures in July while abroad in France were the most amazing experiences I've ever had in my life. I never imagined that I'd have the opportunity to partake in a program like this; coming for a strict Mexican family who rarely give me the chance to be independent. I never thought I'd see the day my parents would let me go away on my own to France accompanied by 'strangers'. I couldn't have asked for a better summer than this year being in France, not only did I get to experience living in France while the Tour de France, Bastille Day, and the winning of the France world cup were going on. But, I got to meet so many new people who were a part of this program, I got to meet people from all over the U.S. from California to New York. I loved meeting and creating new bonds with my group leaders and peers from my group, it made my experience that much better, since I manged to create a great relationship with every one of them. Aside from this, my home stay was also incredible I was able to build an amazing familial bond with my 'dad', 'mom', and a 'sisters'. Before meeting my family I was convinced that it was going to be the most awkward experience while I was going to be abroad but, in fact it was one of the best highlights of my trip. I was able to be creative with communicating in French when it came to it, I didn't just use my french skills but, I also used my actions to explain what I needed to say. Even though meeting all these people along my trip was marvelous I was given the opportunity to also take classes at the Institut Paul Bocuse, learn more culinary termed language in a class setting, and still get to visit many of the touristic cites France has to offer. This is why as I stated in the beginning, was the best summer of my life and it will continue to be as I move into college next year.

Destiny

Once in a lifetime

Being able to study abroad with the experiment program was a great experience. You meet new people, try different food, and learn to be more independent. The leaders are fun and understanding, we all just became one big family. If there’s something you and some of your members want to see or do, all you have to do is talk to your leaders. They want you to have fun and will do all they can to make you comfortable.

Destiny

Once in a lifetime

Micaela

Great Trip

After going on this trip, I had more appreciation for culinary chefs! The whole trip was amazing and definitely an eye-opening experience everyone should get to experience. You definitely learn to be independent while you roam the streets of Paris and Lyon with your group. We also went at a wonderful time, we had front row sits to see Tour de France and it was my first time experiencing a country win the World Cup and celebrate so enthusiastically. I really can not stress how enjoyable this was for me.

Update the packing list so students can actually know to bring an umbrella, or more than one swimsuit.
Gabriel

Experiment in International Living

The reason why I signed up for this program was to experience the European culture and change as a person, the experiment succeed in both categories. Both of my counselors were amazing and would give ample amounts of freedom to walk around on our own, while we would partake in group activities and would allow us to choose what to do for the day. This program allowed me to step out of my comfort zone and change from a quiet kid with low-self esteem to an outspoken kid who suggests ideas and is not afraid to give their opinion to the topic at hand. I experienced a lot of French culture throughout my experience in my homestay. While there, I bonded with my host family with the World Cup and the many lake visits I went on. While I did not learn much french, I bonded well with my family and talk to them daily. Cooking at Paul Bocuse Institute was a amazing experience. Before the experiment, I did not know how to cook, but I believe I learned how to prepare, cook, and decorate meals at a high level. The most important advice I have for future experperimenters is to watch your surroundings and to get off your phone, the reason why is because you have a amazing opportunity to travel abroad and experience the beauty of France.

1. The experiment needs to market better to boys
2. The experiment should stop telling the individuals participating in the to pack light and to bring a small suitcase, because the amount of shopping done on the trip causes suitcases to be overflown
Grace

MURDER OF THE CRAWFISH

One does not go to France to become vegan. I, a former meat-lover, certainly didn't intend to do that. After our first couple fabulous days in Paris, full of bonding, museum-visiting, and chocolate-eating, I was fully ready for French cuisine. Then in Pierrelatte, where we completed the homestay portion of the program, we discovered scores of street markets with fruit, cheese, and friendly vendors. We worked on our French, learned how to get along (and sometimes not always get along) with our homestay families, and spent time together, beating the heat by swimming at beautiful lakes and even the Mediterranean. We spent the World Cup finale and Bastille day in Pierrelatte, where we encountered fireworks, street fairs, and much excitement in this rural town. Some of us had more fun with our homestay families, and some of us had a lot more down time (I was one of those students); if you get a family that doesn't love going out, try to get invited to your friends' houses, and you'll have a lot more fun (that's what I did!).
Next, we went to Lyon, which was my favorite part of the program. We learned how to cook and spent plenty of time exploring the city and getting to know one another--and, unfortunately, some crawfish we were made to kill in boiling water. That experience led me to become vegetarian, then vegan; I had plenty of delicious dining options in Paris, with which I fell in love when we returned for two days of free time (and gourmet dining). Overall, a great way of getting to know people from a different background--there were kids from all over the country--and a great way of getting fat. TIP: work out every day.

Make sure the homestay families take us to do interesting things rather than just leaving us at home! Also, don't make us kill crawfish!
Hailey

Amazing trip!!

This trip to France was by far the best thing I have ever done. Highly recommended! Well put together and very fun. Paul Bocuse Institut chefs were so amazing and helpful. We created so many delicious dishes with very high quality ingredients. My host family took me in like there own child. We did so many great activities. I became very immersed in the culture. Language classes were very helpful. Overall absolutely amazing!!

It is perfect the way it is!
Claire

France Culinary

This trip was one of the best study abroad programs I have ever done. There were so many great things about it's hard to even put into words. I think for me the most valuable thing was the incredible friends I made. I still talk to them now daily months after the trip was over. Going through an experience like that was so incredible and amazing and doing it together made it so much better. I really miss all my friends from France and I plan to reunite with them soon. I also loved living with a host family with someone who was my age. We became really good friends and I still talk to her daily too. I felt like I was able to live like a real french teenager, we went and hung out with her friends, watched movies, did karaoke, and gossiped about boys. She made me feel right at home like a second sister and made sure I knew that any time I went to France I was welcome back.
In terms of the things we did I just can't even explain how wonderful the cooking experience was. It was hard work but we were able to make wonderful and beautiful creations. And we got to taste the best food I've ever tasted in my life. It's not everyday you get to eat food cooked by a world famous chef at a michelin star restaurant. Because the chef/teacher cooked everything we cooked and let is taste his I got to eat dishes that would normally cost $300 multiple times a day everyday for a week. It was heaven for a food addict like me.
My favorite memory is the last night when we all went to the eiffel tower. I've seen pictures of the eiffel tower before and I was convinced I would not be impressed by a tall hunk of metal. I was wrong. When you see the tower lit up for the first time, it knocks the breath out of you. It's so magical and whimsical, it's hard to explain unless you go. It was such a happy memory I was in the best place, with the best people, and we were all so happy.

The counselors are too strict, the kids should have more freedom to explore and be out. I think the program would've been better if we weren't constantly being monitored socially. That was pretty unpleasant.
Noelle

An Experience to Remember

From sightseeing the Eiffel Tower to living in an ordinary French home and cooking in one of France's most beautiful city, Lyon, this program has taken me on an unforgettable journey. I was immensely exposed to the French culture and language by having the opportunity to be proximate with local inhabitants. The Experiment program was very flexible and free flowing, allowing me to make my own discoveries of the elegant country and independently explore my curiosity of the food, language, and culture. Thanks to the Experiment, my love for the country has deepened, and my passion for the French language has been rekindled. My 3-week adventure in France has become one of my most cherished memories and most certainly remains as an "experiment" that was of great success.

Shun

A lasting, remarkable and extraordinary experience

I had such an amazing time at France. I'm still in contact with my host family and a host sister, whom I dearly love. Not only the program gives me an amazing extended family, it also helps me grow as a person and be able to take on the challenge in exploring French culture. The smell of freshly made baguettes during our cooking program still lingers in my mind. It was such an unforgettable experience that I cannot forget even a second of it. I was also able to learn how to communicate without speaking English. Although I may not be fluent in French, my host family still understands me and try their best to explain their culture and day to day life. It is like once in a lifetime experience for me and I would say, EIL has given me one of the lifetime experience that I would never get elsewhere.

I wish there would be more group interactive activities that immerse the students more into the culture. I remembered we were in groups of three and had to search our way to the market and buying food for lunch. It was pretty amazing and asking directions in French was really cool. I wish we had more of these activities.

About The Experiment in International Living

The Experiment in International Living is the most experienced provider of summer abroad programs for high school students. For more than 85 years, our immersive programs have allowed participants to explore the world in an authentic and impactful...