France: French Language & Culinary Training

France: French Language & Culinary Training

Experience Paris, France’s beautiful capital. You’ll mingle with Parisians in a café for a morning croissant before strolling to the Champs-Élysées, Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, or the Louvre. Taste traditional baguettes, cheeses, and local delicacies, and enjoy a picnic on the Seine’s famous Left Bank. You will explore the Montmartre arts district beneath the spires of Sacré-Coeur and dine at quaint cafés.

Enhance your French during a week of formal instruction, then put your skills to use during your homestay. You will get to know the culinary specialties of the region by cooking meals with your host family. This is good practice for your culinary classes at the famed Institut Paul Bocuse in Lyon. There, you will learn from professional chefs how to cook meals and desserts with fresh, sustainable, and high-quality ingredients. You will also visit Lyon’s famed food market, Les Halles, a foodie paradise with countless gourmet delights. Your culinary journey ends in Paris.

• Culinary
Europe » France » Paris
Europe » France
Program Categories
Hotel
The Experiment is the leader in financial aid and scholarships, awarding $2.4 Million in 2016 alone. Program fee includes all accommodations in country, meals, activities, conferences, in-country travel, and 24-hour on-call support. Excludes international airfare.

Claire
Berkeley

France Culinary

This trip was one of the best study abroad programs I have ever done. There were so many great things about it's hard to even put into words. I think for me the most valuable thing was the incredible friends I made. I still talk to them now daily months after the trip was over. Going through an experience like that was so incredible and amazing and doing it together made it so much better. I really miss all my friends from France and I plan to reunite with them soon. I also loved living with a host family with someone who was my age. We became really good friends and I still talk to her daily too. I felt like I was able to live like a real french teenager, we went and hung out with her friends, watched movies, did karaoke, and gossiped about boys. She made me feel right at home like a second sister and made sure I knew that any time I went to France I was welcome back.
In terms of the things we did I just can't even explain how wonderful the cooking experience was. It was hard work but we were able to make wonderful and beautiful creations. And we got to taste the best food I've ever tasted in my life. It's not everyday you get to eat food cooked by a world famous chef at a michelin star restaurant. Because the chef/teacher cooked everything we cooked and let is taste his I got to eat dishes that would normally cost $300 multiple times a day everyday for a week. It was heaven for a food addict like me.
My favorite memory is the last night when we all went to the eiffel tower. I've seen pictures of the eiffel tower before and I was convinced I would not be impressed by a tall hunk of metal. I was wrong. When you see the tower lit up for the first time, it knocks the breath out of you. It's so magical and whimsical, it's hard to explain unless you go. It was such a happy memory I was in the best place, with the best people, and we were all so happy.

The counselors are too strict, the kids should have more freedom to explore and be out. I think the program would've been better if we weren't constantly being monitored socially. That was pretty unpleasant.

Noelle
New Jersey

An Experience to Remember

From sightseeing the Eiffel Tower to living in an ordinary French home and cooking in one of France's most beautiful city, Lyon, this program has taken me on an unforgettable journey. I was immensely exposed to the French culture and language by having the opportunity to be proximate with local inhabitants. The Experiment program was very flexible and free flowing, allowing me to make my own discoveries of the elegant country and independently explore my curiosity of the food, language, and culture. Thanks to the Experiment, my love for the country has deepened, and my passion for the French language has been rekindled. My 3-week adventure in France has become one of my most cherished memories and most certainly remains as an "experiment" that was of great success.

Shun
Daly City, California

A lasting, remarkable and extraordinary experience

I had such an amazing time at France. I'm still in contact with my host family and a host sister, whom I dearly love. Not only the program gives me an amazing extended family, it also helps me grow as a person and be able to take on the challenge in exploring French culture. The smell of freshly made baguettes during our cooking program still lingers in my mind. It was such an unforgettable experience that I cannot forget even a second of it. I was also able to learn how to communicate without speaking English. Although I may not be fluent in French, my host family still understands me and try their best to explain their culture and day to day life. It is like once in a lifetime experience for me and I would say, EIL has given me one of the lifetime experience that I would never get elsewhere.

I wish there would be more group interactive activities that immerse the students more into the culture. I remembered we were in groups of three and had to search our way to the market and buying food for lunch. It was pretty amazing and asking directions in French was really cool. I wish we had more of these activities.

The Experiment in International Living provides 3-, 4-, and 5-week summer programs for high school students who want to connect deeply and engage meaningfully with the richness and complexities of another country.

Programs equip students not only with essential cultural and, in many cases, language