CIEE High School Summer Abroad in Legon, Ghana – Promoting Children's Rights & Education

Live in a land of more than 80 languages and 70 tribal groups! In Ghana you can converse with nearly everyone around you, as English is the official language. Living in a dorm at the University of Ghana, you’ll have an intercultural experience like no other. Hang out with your CIEE peers, go out to watch Ghanaian movies, and meet other international students on campus.

Each day you’ll work with an NGO dedicated to helping disadvantaged children. CIEE partners with the Future Leaders Underprivileged Children’s Center (UCC), which prepares out-of-school children to join the formal educational system. CIEE also partners with the Christah School of Excellence, where students help teach lessons.

Rachel

My Experience in Ghana

I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but I know for a fact that I wasn't expecting it to be like that. I admit, the beginning was tough. I didn't feel like I fit in with the other participants, I wasn't used to cold showers and bugs in my room and sheets that would never stay in place, I was bored out of my mind during orientation, and I had no idea children were so exhausting and journal entries were so hard to write. I admit, I felt like I didn't belong. I felt a little like a small stain in this country that wasn't mine in the first place. But those challenges are what helped me grow the most. And I think(hope), I've become a much better person because of it. I feel more confident, more comfortable in conversation, more appreciative of things I didn't see before, more flexible, more motivated, more at peace with myself. And those are things that would've taken me a lot longer than 3 weeks had I not gone on that trip-- frankly, some of those things never would've happened had I not gone on that trip. And I am so thankful I did. Ghana was beautiful and good to me and I miss her already.

Honestly, it was perfect. Wish we learned "have a good day" in Twi instead of the days of the week, though.

About CIEE Global Navigator

With CIEE Global Navigator High School programs, the possibilities are endless. As a U.S. high school student, you can study abroad from as little as three weeks in the summer to an entire semester or gap year. With more than 60 programs on five...