Art on the Farm High School Program in Ireland

the grass doesn't get any greener
the grass doesn't get any greener
gallery visit in Dublin
gallery visit in Dublin

Students have a unique opportunity to focus on drawing, painting, photography and new media alongside practicing visual artists in a focused and intimate studio environment during this 25-day program. Art on the Farm is designed to yield a more inquisitive approach to making art and foster a deep curiosity for the world. We encourage personal expression and emphasize the creative process to create a meaningful exchange. We believe that engagement with the visual arts provides intellectual and creative enrichment and simultaneously builds confidence and trust in one’s ideas. Our students come from diverse backgrounds; some have a lot of experience and plan to pursue a career in the arts, while others arrive with very little experience in the art room but are dedicated to improving their artistic abilities. The qualities our students share are a desire to explore Ireland’s stunning landscapes and cities, engage with a new culture and make art under the guidance of experienced artists.

• Intensive workshops in drawing, painting, photography and new media
  • Brief led projects: you will develop specific skills while exploring your chosen subject matter in your area of concentration
  • Trips to Dublin and the west of Ireland provide inspiration and artistic, cultural and historical context
  • Develop your own personal project under the individual guidance of one of our artists
  • Group critiques providing valuable feedback as you refine your work

2020 Dates Announced

We just updated our website with our 2020 dates. Please check out our website for more details about Art on the Farm, our summer program for teens and FieldWorks, our 12-week gap year program.

Emily

Best summer ever!

This summer I had the opportunity to attend Cow House Studios’ Art on the Farm program. This was my first time attending a long summer program and being away from home for so long. The change in scenery was inspiring and I had the chance to work on ideas for projects that I never had the chance to get to. The opportunity to create art in Ireland and connect with my ethnic background was extremely enlightening. I was able to begin communicating ideas through my work and crank out some portfolio pieces using different mediums as well. I was in a smaller group of about 12 students. We had delicious meals every day and traveled to different parts of the country for a few days. After a while, I began to feel at home. I met many amazing people and made many great memories!

Take plenty of pictures and stay in touch with friends!
Susan

Best three weeks EVER!

I spent 3 wks the summer of 2018 at Cow House Studios in Ireland. I did not know anyone else attending but I love art and my art teacher recommended Cow House Studios. I was a little nervous when I arrived but my experience at Cow House was magical. First of all, I was challenged to take my art up a notch by doing art mediums I had not done before, learn from great mentors, and hear others critique my work. It was the first time I looked at art from a serious yet fun and trusting point of view. The other kids were amazing and I've made friends I still keep in touch with. The farm and Ireland are beautiful, Rosie & Frank were excellent and the food and staff made you feel like part of the family. I give it the highest recommendation.

Just do it! You'll fall in love with art, Ireland, Cow House, and your new friends!
Justin

Life-Changing Experience

I came into contact with Cow House through some of the teachers at my school. I was constantly searching for summer experiences that would enrich my life as well as prevent me from feeling stagnant. Fast forward to when I actually stepped down in Ireland (my first time to Europe), a feeling of warmness washed over me and I became even more excited. I immediately fell in love with Ireland as soon as I got off the plane. Ireland is such a great place to visit. In regards to the actual program, I met life-long friends and explored a new country while also creating art for my portfolio. Even though I had just met these people, they quickly became some of the closest friends I have ever had. If you're on a farm in the middle of southern Ireland for an extended period of time, you'll become extremely close to everyone. Cow House not only pushed me to try new things and grow as a person but the staff there were committed to helping me with everything I asked them for help with. I created some of the best art I have ever created because of their expertise and abilities. Cow House is definitely an experience I recommend to everyone who is interested in art.

I don't think there is anything, in particular, I had criticisms about.
maeve

my best summer yet

From the moment I left my mom at the airport at home, I knew I would be in for something very different than what I had ever experienced before. When I applied around March, I applied with no prior real art classes or experience; everything I had ever created was done from my own desire to create. When I arrived at the Dublin airport, it didn’t take me long to realize everyone else around me had a similar experience and the same attitude towards creativity. No matter where we came from (Serbia, Spain, all over the US, and the UK), we all wanted to improve our creative thinking and tweak our skills. Rosie and Frank provided us with this opportunity. Alongside three residential artists, friends of the O’Gormans, the twelve of us learned more than we anticipated. Everyday, we sat around the studio and learned more and more about each other through what we put on paper or canvas. To this day, I am still very close with the friends I made at Cowhouse, and am looking forward to seeing them again this winter and the following summer. I couldn’t imagine a better way to spend my summer than in a country I love with those who are just as enthusiastic for what I do, as I am.

Nothing. I loved the way it was. Everything I experienced while I was away was helpful to my education and I never felt homesick.
Caitlin

Felt Like Home

I went and did the summer program, and honestly it is the best experience I have ever had in my life. Immediately upon getting there I felt so welcomed, and the studio was unbelievable. It only got better as I met everyone and we started drawing exercises.
Cow House was one of the first places I truly felt at home, and I really did find a family.
Its impossible to not love it, between the amazing people Like Rosie, Frank, and Caitriona, the gorgeous fields and sunsets, and the seemingly never ending forest to explore for inspiration.
I can honestly say Cow House was the best thing to happen in my life, and improved my art skills and confidence so much, and where I made some of my favourite friends.
Not to mention the day trips were a great way to see Ireland!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Most nerve-racking moment was probably opening up about my art for the first time, but it was the best thing I could have done, and now im more confident and better understand how to create art with my intended purpose.
Olivia

Unforgettable Experience

The summer program at Cowhouse Studios exceeded my wildest expectations. Frank, Rosie, and Mathilde were incredibly encouraging and knowledgeable, and pushed me as an artist in ways I wasn't expecting but am so grateful for. I came expecting to focus on darkroom photography, and while I did do a great deal of that I also got the chance to experiment with new media/experimental film. I walked away from the program with a solid/diverse portfolio that was instrumental in applying to college. The excursions into Dublin and the countryside were fascinating and also were really helpful creatively.

Accommodations at Cowhouse are fantastic, the bedrooms and common areas are really cozy. The food couldn't have been better, I'd come back for that alone! Lastly, I made friends here that will (hopefully) last a lifetime. I'm so thankful for the weeks I spent on the farm and hope I'll make it back there someday.

Come open-minded! There's so much to explore here, so don't close yourself off.
Kaylyn

Great Experience!

I stayed at Cow House for three weeks in 2017 and it was one of the best experiences I’ve ever had! Rosie and Frank are fantastic mentors that give great advice to help improve your artwork. They are both so down to earth and easy to talk to. I learned so much about dark room photography and acquired many painting techniques that I still use today. I am now studying animation in college and Cow House has helped me get to this point by furthering my artistic skills and giving me the experience of being away from home. The facilities are amazing, the environment is beautiful, and the food is delicious! I enjoyed taking trips to the west of Ireland and Dublin. It was nice to be in an environment with other growing artists like myself; I met so many great people. I recommend Cow House Studios to anyone that wants to make art while having a fun and an educational time!

Have fun and make the most of your residency! You will be happy that you did!
katrina
No, I don't recommend this program

Amazing program for High School students

My daughter who is 15 spent 3 weeks at Cow House this past summer (2018). A somewhat shy kid who hadn't previously been away from home longer than a week, she absolutely loved Cow House. From the development of her art, to the friends she made, to the growth in her artistic and social confidence, the experience was a formative one for her. Frank and Rosie are warm and inspiring teacher/mentors and I'm so glad my daughter had a chance to work with them. She worked hard on her portfolio and gained skills and insight into her own art-making process. She also made fast friends who she has remained in touch with.

The trips to the Aran Islands, to Galway and to Kilkenny city were also highlights.
She still talks about Cow House frequently and hopes to return in the near future.