World Campus High School Abroad - Japan Program

World Campus International offers you an opportunity to take part in short-term, non-traditional study abroad programs in Japan. You can choose to sign up for one or more 3 week block programs. Participants will have the unique chance to gain international experience as well as increase their personal and professional networks, all while enjoying the backdrop of Japanese culture, daily life and business through various activities. The program is open to high school students.

What does having this kind of "unique access to Japan" mean?
1) A great chance to see Japanese cultural sites, eat delicious food and learn about Japanese traditions.
2) An opportunity to experience an authentic Japanese lifestyle by staying with host families.
3) A way to learn about modern Japan through interacting with local politicians, business people and teachers.
4) An opportunity to share your culture and volunteer your talents in activities with ordinary Japanese citizens, school children, etc.

Jean-Michel

A choice well taken

The overall prgramm was a really good experience, at first it's a bit intimidating to meet so many new people at once but there was no reason to be worried at all. The staff and the other participants were nice and all the host-families were welcoming.
The fear of maybe doing or saying somthing wrong didn't last for long either, because of the help I got from everyone.
I experienced the japanese livestyle from inside an that in three different households, it seems so different at the beginning and normal at the end because of the great hospitality, I really felt as if I was part of their families.
I got friends with everyone during those 3 weeks and am still in contact with some of them to this day.
It was 3 weeks of great people, interesting and fun experiences and a great first time in Japan.

Melina

An experience I will never forget!

World Campus Japan is an amazing program! I have never thought to experience Japan in such a unique way. All my expectations were topped, day by day.

I got so close with my host families and felt so at home, although I stayed only one week with each. They are really kind and interested in you and your culture and it is great to show them your country and the way you live. Moreover, you experience the japanese lifestyle in the best way. I felt like being part of them, as I saw everything in a non-touristic way.
You have the possibility to discover every domain of Japan, like their delicious food, pop culture, nature. I got the chance to go to Akihabara in Tokyo, to see shinto shrines and to talk to the Governor of Ibaraki! And japanese food is the best food I‘ ve ever eaten (I swear!) I missed it so much back home.
And you meet so many great and interesting people. I made good friends and it makes me happy that they‘re from all over the world! We got all very close and I felt like being part of one big family.
The progam helped me to get more openminded and I developed a lot, especially in interaction with other people and in overcoming the fear of talking in front of a lot of people. You really expand your comfort zone.

I can only recommend it as you gain so much from this amazing program. I will definitely do it again and I‘m looking forward to discovering Japan one more time!

Bror Johannes

Best way to get introduced to Japan from a inside perspective

Hello,

My name is Bror and I was a participant in world campus the summer of 2018, I participated in session 2 and 3 which was in Osaka, Nara, Isehara, Mito, Abiko and Tama. In this program we had 1 week per area and 1 host family per area. I decided to go for 2 sessions instead of doing one.

I cannot overstate how great my experience with world campus was, it was truly one of the best things in my life.

Needless to say, this has been one of the best experiences of my life, not only have I gotten many contacts in terms of host families but I have also got multiple Japanese friends in Japan, furthermore I have some amazing people which was participating in the program with me.

If you’re looking for a great experience in Japan, this is it

Daniel

What an experience!

This was an amazing experience! I had so much fun, and I learned so much along the way.
All of the organized day time activities were well planned, and gave us a unique opportunity to challenge ourselves and learn about Japanese culture. My favorite activity day was the time we a "culture fare" at the local community center. Japanese traditional dancing, instruments, art and games, all gathered at one place. Experiencing Japan in a nut shell this way was very interesting, and i enjoyed it!
My favorite activity was during one of the last days in session 1. We went to a katana sword smith, and got to learn about the process when making a katana. After learning about the history of the sword, and watching him demonstrate parts of the process, we also got to try holding and using the sword. Holding a 40 000 dollar weapon made me quite nervous. But when i finally got to show the tatami-mat who's boss, I was overwhelmed with joy.
This program is filled with diversity. Last year i traveled with people from over 10 different countries. So in addition to learning about Japan and Japanese culture, I also got to experience many other cultures as well. The participants were fun and friendly people, and i became really close with many of them. The good atmosphere among the travelers also played a part in making it such a great experience.
I cant wait to go again!

About World Campus International

World Campus International organizes short term programs in Japan for students aged 17 and up. Programs can be done independently of each other or in conjunction, making your Japanese studies flexible to your needs, goals, and budget. Study Japanese...