AFS Global Prep Program in Kenya - Wildlife Conservation Focus

This two-week summer program is designed for students who want to get a flavor of Kenya by immersing themselves directly into the local culture. With a focus on Wildlife Conservation, you will have the opportunity to understand the issues, hear from leaders on how to innovate, and experience wildlife firsthand. Participate in a unique leadership-training course alongside cultural exploration activities. You will live with a host family for the duration of Global Prep in Kenya. By spending time with your family in the evenings and on weekends, you will have the opportunity to further improve your language learning and learn about local cultures. This immersion offers a unique way to skyrocket your learning by placing it in immediate context. Your learning will not be limited to books, but rather will be a part of every aspect of your life throughout your two weeks in Kenya.

• Explore national parks and visit wildlife reservations
  • Tour bustling urban centers such as downtown Nairobi
  • Stay with a host family for a few days and experience warm Kenyan hospitality
  • Meet with members of the semi-nomadic Maasai tribe
  • Visit an orphanage and join in fun, cultural activities with local children

Jeff

AFS Global Prep- Not just a trip to Africa

I applied for the AFS Global Prep Kenya Trip the moment I first heard about it. I knew it would be a great experience but little did I know how much it would really change my life.

This is not just a fun summer trip where you see animals on safari. No, it is so much more than that. This program immerges you into the Kenyan culture, introduces a new and completely unfamiliar world, and shows you the wilds of Africa all at the same time. It’s not just about feeding giraffes or petting baby elephants, it’s about learning the real ness of animal conservation in Africa today. This program showed me the realities of threatened species and the conservation efforts that are helping to save them. This program lets you interact and meet conservationalists from around the world who dedicate themselves to saving the world’s most iconic species. Aside from the animals, living with a host family in a country like Kenya is something I will cherish forever. It allowed me to truly understand the Kenyan way of life. I made some incredible friends that I consider to be my family members. We still keep in close touch even after two years apart.

Going back isn’t just a ‘maybe,’ it’s a 100 percent certainty. I am determined and hopeful that I can one day return to Kenya and reunite with my new friends and family. I highly recommend this program to anyone who has wanderlust, anyone who wants to experience an entirely new culture, and anyone who wants to change the way they see the world.

Although two weeks was amazing, I wish it was much longer!

About AFS-USA

AFS-USA (formerly the American Field Service), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a leader in intercultural learning and offers international exchange programs in more than 40 countries around the world through independent, nonprofit AFS...