VISIONS Guadeloupe Service Adventure Program

VISIONS Guadeloupe Service Adventure Program

Dive into La Vie Francaise with a Caribbean-Creole twist, on the French West Indies island of Marie-Galante in Guadeloupe. Build needed community projects, dig in (literally) at an organic farming cooperative, clear trails and volunteer at a daycamp for local kids. Learn island traditions, such as natural indigo dyeing, cane syrup-making and Gwoka drumming—all while improving your French language skills.

• Community Service
  • French Immersion
Program Categories
Travel Insurance
Age Max
Application Fee
Price does not include plane ticket or travel insurance. VISIONS does offer some financial aid for those in need.

Life Changing Experience

I had an incredible experience with VISIONS over the summer. I went to a small region of France called Guadeloupe, and lived with 23 other teens for a month. We all got to know each other really well, and I made long lasting friends. The time we had, I think can be called "life changing." We got a change to fix up schools for the local french kids, and we taught english lessons to them as well. It is so amazing that feeling you get when you know you've changed someone's life, or helped them in some way. Working with the local kids made me feel that way every day. I had so much fun on this trip, and would definitely recommend it to other teens.

I would extend the trip longer than a month. I felt like I didn't want to leave Guadeloupe when It was departure day.

Simply Incredible

The month I spent in an overseas region of France, called Guadeloupe, was arguably one of the greatest months of my life. The 27 day program provided an incredible amount of insight and fulfillment, particularly as we worked with the community of Capesterre on the smaller island of Marie-Galante. This service adventure sent me outside of my comfort zone, allowing me to truly face (and overcome) the challenges that life often sets before me. AN example -- I was afraid of speaking French at first, but the environment created both by my peers and by the VISIONS staff allowed me to become much more proficient in the language and have fun with it.

Spending a month with 23 other kids that I had never met before was also incredible - I felt like I was able to get to know everyone on a very personal level, as everyone was completely on their own to be themselves; without the influence of friends back home or the pressure to be someone that they're not. ust the real people for everything that they are. For me, half of the trip was focused on being able to connect with and adequately serve the community on the island, while the other half of the trip was (as I said before) getting to know so many different and unique people in such an equally unique and different place.

Beyond that, the six VISIONS staff members that were with us respectfully maintained a position of authority while simultaneously providing us with the opportunity to be friendly and amicable - each and every staff member went above and beyond the "call of duty" for this type of trip and worked their hardest to make it a bettering experience for all of us. I've committed myself to returning to Guadeloupe one day, but I know for a fact it won't be the same without the incredible people and without the incredible program that I shared the experience with the first time.

Please reply with any questions and I'll be happy to answer them, and vouch for this great program!

I wish that the length of the program were extended. As great as an entire month was on Marie-Galante in Guadeloupe, I felt that I could have spent another month there and gotten three times as much out of it.

Few things, I think, can be said to be "life changing", but for me this trip really was. I gained so many things from the experience including increased French skills, and proficiency in work environments and social situations! I would recommend this trip for anyone looking for an adventure, a chance to make a difference in another community, and a great time in a foreign country.

The living situations were one mark below what I expected. But we made the best out of it and I found myself getting used to it and even learning to love being in such an environment.

About VISIONS Service Adventures

VISIONS programs are grounded in a philosophy that has been changing the lives of teenagers for 30 years. We believe it is best to do one thing and do it well. That’s why across all programs we have one model, built on the pillars of meaningful...