Sol Abroad High School Program in Mexico

Learn Spanish in the fascinating colonial city of Oaxaca, Mexico. Experience the colonial charms of this highland city surrounded by lush mountains and indigenous villages. Oaxaca is one of the most unique cities in Mexico. It is an ideal location for language immersion and exploring the pre-Hispanic past of the area. Study at an accredited Mexican university in Oaxaca City and earn university credit. Take Spanish classes and electives in the colonial section of Oaxaca or for advanced-level Spanish students enroll in courses with local students. Sol Abroad high school programs provides quality academic support and assistance while you are on your study abroad program.

Arvilla

Amazing Experience Everyone Should Have

When I went to Oacaxa I was terrified that I was going to spend a month doing nothing, being bored, and not making any friends. But when I got there I was pleasantly surprised. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Ena the head person was amazing. She was so kinda and funny. She made everything 100 times better. I made amazing friends who I will never forget. I also experienced once in a life time opportunities. I learned so much about the local culture and increased my ability to speak Spanish, which is a very weak area for me. The program really struck the right balance between school work and studying and fun activities. I always felt safe and well supported. Words cannot express how happy I am that I did this program. I had so much fun and I would do it again if I could.

Kelli

Great Experience!

Highly recommend SOL Abroad. Fantastic program, very easy to work with. Would absolutely use them again. My daughter did the three week Mexico trip and had a great experience. She really enjoyed the class that she took, her host family was so very nice and helpful and took great care of her. The group of students she was with got along great and really enjoyed each other's company. They did several fun excursions and got to enjoy some very cool Mexican traditions. The staff at SOL was incredibly helpful through the whole process. Great experience all around!

Sophie

My Review

I loved my experience at Sol abroad. I’ve never had more fun In My life. I made great friends. And the head leader Ena was so amazing, kind, and very funny. We traveled all over Oaxca but my favorite part was when we went the the beach. That was my favorite part because it brought everyone in the programcloser together. And the beach’s where gorgeous. I had so much fun on that trip if I could I would go do it again.

I think one way the program can improve is in the beginning when everyone comes in they should give them some suggested restaurants. Cause me and my friends ended up eating at the same restaurants. We wanted to branch out more but we didn’t know where to go.
Gabe

Sol Abroad Oaxaca

My trip to Oaxaca was one of the greatest adventures I've ever been on in the summer. The housing was wonderful and the family's were very nice and supportive. Me, personally I only knew the basics of Spanish, but just being in Mexico and actually having to speak it every day was a huge help with learning the language. I enjoyed the city, and the different trips we went on were so interesting: we learned about weaving and the use the natural pigments, we had a cooking class, we went to different ruins near Oaxaca city, we had a cool dance class, and we hiked to a spectacular spring. We also took a trip to the coast where we snorkeled and took a boat trip to amazing, isolated beaches. I would highly recommend this program because it was very well organized, and the staff and families were extremely friendly. We volunteered at a a community garden and a hospital as well, which was a nice way to give back to the community. We also had a lot of freedom to explore in the city, which I really appreciated and enjoyed.

I don't have any suggestions--the program was amazing.
Rozlyn

Fabulous program

I recommend this program very highly.

As a consumer, I found this program exceptionally well run. The communication was excellent, providing accurate and useful information in a timely manner. The links on the website were very well maintained, and the in-country leader was available and communicative.

As a parent, my son (a rising high-school senior) enjoyed an excellent blend of social, cultural, and educational experiences. He attends a very competitive public high school in New Jersey and was looking for a reasonable academic challenge that also offered some good downtime to explore the culture and people of Oaxaca. It was an excellent program on both fronts!

Better FB presence
Mari

Once in a Lifetime Experience

This program was absolutely incredible, and opened my eyes to many different cultures that I never even knew existed. The fact that we were able to experience Oaxaca as a local, and not a tourist, is a rare opportunity that I am grateful to have undergone. As a person who is normally quite reserved, I was worried that this experience would be too overwhelming or stressful, but neither cannot be further from the truth. From the moment I was picked up to the moment I was walking back into the airport, I felt nothing short of comfort; all the staff worked very hard to make sure we were always safe, comfortable, and most importantly, happy.
As a native Spanish speaker, I had initially worried about what classes I would be taking to match my level, but the worry went away after the first day of school! They offer many different classes to cater to each student’s personal needs, so regardless of your level, this program can still be an enjoyable time.

Stew

Oaxaca HS Program!

Oaxaca is an exceptional region to explore with so many cultural contrasts, highlighting a rich Zapoteca and Mixteca confluence, evident in all the places we visited. Our HS students enjoyed each unique activity, ranging from the Archaeological sites at Monte Alban and Zaachila, to the local history at Santo Domingo and San Pablo Cultural Center; while also volunteering at a local children's library, salsa dancing and cooking a delicious meal together with local market ingredients! Perahps more importantly, they accomplished all of this while not exactly feeling like tourists. This was due in great deal to the local knowledge and coordination displayed by our Program Director, Eva. She was a patient, knowledgable, and caring guide that made our journey in Oaxaca extra special! Our students responded really well to her, as well as their host mothers and families. It was inspiring to observe each day unravel, while some of the more timid students from our traditional classroom settings lost their fear of speaking and gained confidence with vital aspects of Spanish communication! My colleague and I are very thankful and honored to have been able to work with Sol Abroad and our HS students at this level- A very special thank you to Sol Abroad, Eva, and our Host Families... Compañeros y anfitriones de viaje!

Keep up the great work, perhaps adding a volunteer trip to indigenous village?
Kendall

Summer in Oaxaca

I stayed in Oaxaca for 2 weeks and I learned a lot. I learned about their culture and everyday lives. This program also improved my Spanish speaking by giving me real life conversations. I think Oaxaca is the perfect place for this program to be held because there is so much culture and not a lot of tourists, which encourages you to use your Spanish more, such as if u were at a restaurant and you had o order something. Oaxaca is a lot filled with many activities and amazing sights that make me want to go back. Overall I had an amazing time and can't wait to visit Oaxaca again!

Lizzy

Discubrir

Don't skip the opportunity to travel with Sol Abroad. It is a great experience. It provides the means to study at a local university with people from around the world and professors native to Spanish-speaking countries, live with a family and have one-on-one conversations to utilize your new Spanish skills, immerse yourself in the culture as well as the city, and still have free time to explore on your own! If you are looking to become more independent and explore with new people, join Sol Abroad. They also have beginners classes, so even if you haven't studied Spanish, they have a level you belong to. It is overall a truly wonderful experience and I would suggest Sol Education Abroad to everyone of all ages and skills!

Sam

A Month Long Surreal Adventure

Oaxaca was almost a blur. I had to take breaks from whatever I was doing to really take in what was going on around me. The city is so full of color and people who are willing to help a lost American kid find his way. The excursion to the beach really stuck with me because of their awe-inspiring beauty. Every beach was so picture perfect that you felt like you might be looking at a screensaver that might suddenly change because what you were seeing was too flawless to be real. Not only was Mexico gorgeous it was also the perfect place to practice and learn Spanish because of the genuinely kind and caring people.

If I could change anything I would have liked to see more art museums.
Chiara

AMAZING time in Oaxaca!!

I had so much fun with Sol Abroad. The housing was wonderful—my host mother was so sweet and lovely and really made me feel comfortable. She cooked so much food, and it was fantastic! Everything is so cheap in Oaxaca as well so I was able to buy so much good food for not much money. I in particular enjoyed learning about the art scene in Oaxaca: we visited the house of a street artist to learn about the political art in Oaxaca, which was fascinating. The artist and his wife also helped us make really cool stencil art on t-shirtst. I also was able to visit another artist's studio with two friends, and the woman who ran it was very accomadating and let us just hang out and make prints with all the artists there. Oaxaca is a beautiful city, and I cannot wait to visit again.

I would want to spend more time learning about current events in Oaxaca, and what was happening with the government.
Dominic

Sol Abroad in Oaxaca

My experience with Sol Abroad was unlike anything I've ever done. I spent 4 weeks in Oaxaca, Mexico with a host family, doing activities and taking classes every day. Although I did not have an english-speaking roommate from the same program, or any host siblings remotely close to my age, (all the others in my program did have an english-speaking roommate) I still managed to have a good time with my host family, and they were very welcoming and accommodating. The food was absolutely amazing. I don't think I was ever served anything I didn't like. The classes very intensive, 2 2-hour classes every week-day morning, which at times was a little much, but it definitely paid off in improving my spanish. The cultural activities were either a hit or miss for me. The cooking class was a lot of fun, as were the trips to neighboring small villages for often artesanal activities. However, some of the activities, such as the yoga class and the movie night, seemed to be not very connected to Mexican culture and just there to fill up space on the calendar. The curfew was 11:00 for everyone in the high school program, which I felt limited freedom and possibilities for experiencing the nightlife of Oaxaca, especially as many festivals and parades started around that time. However, me and my group still managed to have a great time exploring Oaxaca and doing all kinds of different activities in the city. We were definitely given plenty of freedom on days when there weren't cultural activities scheduled. The excursions were the best part of Sol Abroad for me. After a magnificent 7-hour trek through the mountains, we arrived in the beach of Hualtulco, which was beautiful. We surfed, paddleboarded, snorkeled, and went three different beaches during the weekend that we stayed there. Hierve El Agua was another fun excursion where we hiked to a cold spring in the mountains, enjoying the views and the weather. As awesome as these excursions were, I could've used at least one more, such as a trip to Sierra Norte, which was cut out of the schedule for some reason. Anyhow, it was a great program, I feel like I'm now the best at spanish in my class at my high school, I learned a lot about Oaxacan culture and had great times exploring the city with my friends. I will value this experience for the rest of my life.

Emily

Best decision I have ever made

Sol Abroad is a program that changed my life, a study abroad program that I will never forget and always be able to thank for an introduction into a different lifestyle, an incredible new culture and another language. My time in Mexico taught me not only how to try new things and accept new ideas, but also how to experience everything to its fullest potential and truly treasure every moment. Not one negative thought passed my mind the entirety of my trip. I learned the importance of bridging cultural divides and I was able to experience the amazing satisfaction of having a conversation in a language foreign to my own. The people that I met introduced me to a whole new side of life and they brought out the best version of myself. I do not have words to explain the overwhelming generosity and hospitality of my host family. I feel like the luckiest person in the world to be able to say that I got to have this experience.

Update the high school website and re write the handbook. Some of the things that were in it I did not find to be accurate.

About Sol Abroad

Sol Abroad is an affordable high school study abroad, Gap Year and Spanish immersion program for students 14 - 18 years of age. There are programs offered during the summer and semester. Sol students live with local families, take Spanish classes on...