• Morocco
2 - 4 weeks

Program Details

Pricing

You get more for every dollar when you study abroad with CIEE! Our high-quality programs include tuition, housing, on-site airport pick-up, field trips and cultural activities, 24/7 on-site professional staff, and automatic iNext insurance.

Scholarship opportunities are available for high school summer programs.

There are no hidden charges or surprises when you arrive!
What's Included
Accommodation Some Activities Travel Insurance
Oct 06, 2021
Aug 18, 2019
0 travelers are looking at this program

Channel your inner Indiana Jones as you hike to remote pre-Arab villages, explore natural caves, kayak on Morocco's largest river or ride a camel. Definitely one of the hidden gems, you will marvel at snake charmers and artisan crafts in Marrakesh’s bustling Jemaa el-Fnaa square, attend an interactive session with locals in the winding souks of the old medina, and visit the village of Ourika for hiking. Whether you decide to go to Rabat or Mohammedia, you will discover a kaleidoscope of cultures while living, serving, and mentoring in a friendly Moroccan community.

Living with a homestay family, you’ll get a warm welcome and a rare glimpse of Moroccan traditions. Together you’ll shop, prepare meals, and gather around the family table. In your free time, you can dabble in Moroccan pottery and play soccer, ping pong, or volleyball at the city beach.

Program Highlights

• Get glammed up for a Moroccan party with traditional dress, dance, and henna art.
  • Visit the Hassan II Mosque, one of the tallest minarets in the world and the only mosque in Morocco open to visitors
  • Gain a certificate of learning in to use in your resume
  • Rock the Kasbah L’Oudaya, tour the Museum of Modern Art and Archaeology, visit the old medina, Roman ruins and Chellah Gardens overlooking the ancient royal cemetery
  • 24/7 Support from your CIEE program leader and in-country CIEE staff members

Popular Programs

morocco city views

Join us this summer in Morocco! Grow your arabic skills on a 4-week immersion program in Rabatm complete with a homestay and daily classes and cultural activities. Or develop your leadership skills on our 3-week programs on “Leadership Through Outdoor Education” and “Mentoring Youth and Raising Social Awareness”. Live to the beat of Moroccan life for an unforgettable summer.

Umulkair

Morocco

Morocco was a riveting and absolutely beautiful experience. From the beautiful gardens to the beach to the bustling Medina, market, you had to be vigilant, not only to save your belongings and to fully enjoy and burn into your Rabat’s beauty into your memory. I was painfully unaware of the saving your belongings part yet that would not ruin my experience. The food you will eat in Rabat, such as tajine and Moroccan tea will be missed by your tastebuds. You will experience Moroccan culture but also Tamazight, the oldest people living in Morocco and the hardships they faced. You will also witness French colonization and how deep of a effect it has. Last but not least you will experience the culture of Sub-Saharan Africans who live some as refugees and others as professionals and Islamic culture but with the Moroccan spin on it.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Hold onto your belongings and don’t be so trusting because they are Muslims too. Also, GET A FANNY PACK. Its so useful.
Gabrielle

Mohammedia, Morocco Study Abroad (Mentoring Youth and Raising Social Awareness)

Going into the Mohemmedia, Morocco mentoring youth and raising social awareness program, I had no prior expectations. I did not know much about the culture, language, or what I would be experiencing. After essentially being in it, I was amazed. Everyone was so kind to one another and I had so much support from my peers and program leaders. It honestly felt like we were part of a real family. Being with the host families was also a very life-changing experience. I loved how not only were we able to travel to Morocco, but we were able to be in a space where we could truly experience the culture and how it is like to live in a Moroccan household, essentially as though we were really Moroccans. Lastly, the kids were probably one of the best highlights of the trip. I loved seeing their eagerness to learn English and how quickly we all bonded with them. Not only were we teaching them English, but they also helped us learn Darija, which was very helpful once we were out in the local community and had to communicate with the local people. Overall, my experience was one that I will never forget and I will definitely take what I learned there back to my own home community. I definitely encourage anyone interested in this program to definitely consider applying and going through with the process of getting in.

What was your funniest moment?
Probably dinner time when the family and my roommate and I would crack lots of jokes.
Taylor

Rabat Morocco language and culture session 1

Overall, it was a great learning experience. There were a few up and downs but it was nothing that couldn’t be slept off. My host family was so sweet and I hope to be able to visit them again. The food was great and the study center was in a very convenient location. There was plenty of independence, which my friends and i took advantage of by seeing more of the city in our free time. I hope to visit the city again.

Kiara

Inshallah!

I personally LOVED my experience in Rabat, Morocco this summer! We were paired up with a host family, matched specifically for us, and I stayed with the kindest, most amazing host family for four weeks! There were only 13 of us in the program, but everyone there was amazing and ready to engage (the instructors there were also oh so ready to help - even the cultural peers were awesome)! It could not have been a better group! We visited places like Meknes, Tangier, and even stayed in Chefchaouen for a couple of days - every day was filled with something to do! There were even mini excursions every day like an African Dance Workshop and surfing lessons which made the experience ten times better! Hopefully, it will not be my last trip to Morocco - inshallah!

The classes should have a bit more structure and more time in MSA classes.