Morocco: Multiculturalism in North Africa

Morocco: Multiculturalism in North Africa

Experience African, Middle Eastern, and European influences on Moroccan culture. Begin in Morocco’s capital, Rabat, exploring the city’s diverse neighborhoods, street markets, and ancient medina. Take Moroccan Arabic, also known as Darija, language lessons, cook traditional meals, and try tapestry weaving and tablet writing. Discover ancient ruins and meander through the markets of Rabat, Fez, and Marrakesh. Ride camels across the sandy dunes of the Sahara.

Spend two weeks in a rural community, immersed in the daily life of a Moroccan family. Share couscous and mint tea with your family. Participate in a community service project, such as teaching English to children.

Meet with artists in Fez on your way to Marrakesh, where you will see storytellers, snake charmers, acrobats, and other performers in the famous Jamaa el Fna Square. Explore ancient cities along Morocco’s coast. Stroll beaches, hike in the Todgha Gorge, and visit remote villages in the High and Middle Atlas mountains.

• Language
Program Categories
Hotel
Tent
Arabic
The Experiment is the leader in financial aid and scholarships, awarding $2.4 Million in 2016 alone. Program fee includes all accommodations in country, meals, activities, conferences, in-country travel, and 24-hour on-call support. Excludes international airfare.

Donatto
Rabat

A Trip to Remember

My trip to Morocco was fantastic. My program leaders navigated the line between safety and fun exceptionally, especially towards the tail end of the trip, when were all aware enough to manage ourselves in groups. The 15 other members I shared my experience with were among some of the most remarkable people I have ever met. I couldn't imagine a better group to explore Morocco with. Furthermore, the home stay experience was highly enlightening, as it showed me the hardships and benefits of living a rural life in Morocco. It was undeniably challenging, but the payoff was worth it. By the end, I was dreading the idea of returning home.

During the home stay, the various activities could have been arranged better for everyone to participate more and retrieve more from the experience. For example, instead of having cooking sessions in groups of 16, those could have been turned to group of 4.

Christopher
Morocco

Morocco with the Experiment

This trip was a life changer for me. I went with a group of 16 other high school students. Everyone on the trip was so polite. I made friends with everyone in my group and we experienced a lot of Morocco together. The trip has a very good balance of freedom and safty. Some highlights of the trip are riding camels in the Sahara, learning Arabic, and visiting the markets. This trip is really great for everyone and you will meet wonderful people.

Josiah
New York

Exploring Morocco

The Experiment trip wasn't just any regular trip, it was experience that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. They were very organized and ensured that we were fully prepared prior to leaving. I traveled with sixteen amazing people from all over the United States and one from Costa Rica, making this expedition fun and enjoyable. In Morocco, we were introduced to an entirely different society at work. We learned about the Moroccan culture which included the clothing, food and customs. I was also able to learn Arabic, barter with vendors, and rode camels. The Experiment leaders made sure we were safe and comfortable. As part of the experience I stayed with a very hospitable family in a moroccan village. There we also taught children english, weaved, and learn to cook the native foods. We did fun group activities such as dancing and painting the local school. Overall, this Adventure has contributed immensely to my personal growth and I would recommend this program to every student seeking the same.

Elayna
WInthrop Harbor, IL

Morocco Trip Review

I was not sure what to expect when traveling to Morocco because it was my first time out of the country, but the Experiment in International Living was a very great experience for a first time abroad traveler. The program easily combines cultural experience and learning with exposure and lessons about the culture from the international partners. Having the first few days be dedicated to these lessons really helped me begin to understand certain aspects of the culture that I had previously no knowledge of. We learned about things such as the government, Moroccan costume, and religion. I used this gained knowledge when we traveled to other cities and even more so in the home stay, but there was still so much I learned. Our time spent in the cities could have sometimes been better planned. There was a difference between the amount of time spent and opportunity to experience the culture in each city. In each city, I wish we would have had an equal amount of opportunity; however, each city visit was thoughtfully planned out and had their own experiences to gain. Many things that we did, such as a tour of the city of Fes, felt more authentic than if I were to travel to Morocco by myself. EIL does a great job of immersing their students into the culture by having the in country leaders and keeping the students busy. In addition, the home stay was the most important part of the program for me, as was it the most immersive. It was there that I truly felt myself develop/grow and fall in love with the country. The families I came across were absolutely amazing and always willing to help their host children any way possible. I truly felt like I became a part of their family.

Richard
Massachusetts, USA

A Life Changing Experience!

I would definitely recommend this program.
I went to Morocco in the summer of 2017. I was an amazing experience! I enjoyed this trip so much. At first I was worried because I didn't know anything about the culture and I wouldn't know anyone. But everyone was so kind and welcoming that we quickly bonded to become a close family. We learned so much about Moroccan culture, language, history and food. We learned how to weave, cook, speak Moroccan Arabic. We rode camels in the Sahara and went shopping in souks. There is a homestay, where you get to experience the Moroccan lifestyle. You will do community service and teach English to the local children.
Everyone was so friendly. The group leaders were very helpful and made sure the group dynamic was always positive.
Through this trip, I learned how to be more independent and outgoing. This trip made me grow as a person.
The Experiment in International Living definitely has some of the best summer abroad programs! You won't regret going on one of its trips!

The Experiment in International Living provides 3-, 4-, and 5-week summer programs for high school students who want to connect deeply and engage meaningfully with the richness and complexities of another country.

Programs equip students not only with essential cultural and, in many cases, language