The Traveling School's Alumnae Network

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from The Traveling School.

This listing is any alumnae to leave a review, and for potential participants to learn more about The Traveling School.

Ali

Incredible Growth

I went on this semester back in 2011, and it was the most incredible opportunity and adventure I could ever ask for. It helped me to become who I am today, and to continue my growth as I reflect on the time I spent in Central America. The group dynamic helped me to realize how to best work as a team and provided support then and now in all of my endeavors. The teachers gave me a new perspective of education, and motivated me to do well in school and to pursue an education that I did not know was possible. This school made me excited to learn, to get up and go to school, and to value every opportunity that I am given. This semester in particular, inspired me to study archaeology, in particular Mayan archaeology in college. Mayan history was one of many fascinating and deep topics that we studied over the semester. We were given many opportunities that many people never receive, such as scuba diving, and hiking a volcano. We also talked to many people who have influenced who I have become today, and I wouldn't have had or even considered the chance of talking to them if it weren't for TTS. I love this program so much that I came back for the following semester in Africa. There are always challenges when it comes to traveling abroad for a semester, but the teachers and staff worked to handle every situation in a productive and constructive way.

I know that money wise it is difficult to take smaller groups, but if I had to say one thing, it would be that.
Megan

The Essence of Africa

I did this program two years ago and had the trip of a lifetime. Eleven girls and I traveled to three countries in Africa all while taking high school classes for 3 1/2 months. I had some of the best and most memorable experiences of my life. I got to volunteer with multiple organizations, learn a bunch of new hobbies, experience Africa's wildlife try a variety of African foods, and overall experience what Africa is like.

The biggest problem we encountered was being able to communicate with friends and family back in the states. This is just a problem in Africa though because you are never guaranteed wifi or cellphone service!
Margo

Life-changing doesn't even describe it!

Traveling School was beyond the best decision I have ever made. You can spend 3 1/2 months in a classroom, or spend a semester surfing off the coast of El Salvador, learning about the guerrillas who fought in the Guatemalan civil war, scuba diving in the Caribbean, studying the ancient Mayans, doing impactful community service projects, immersing yourself in Spanish, making friends that will last a life time, and growing personally/academically.

Honestly, this program was as close to perfect as they come in my opinion. The only thing I would improve, would be to have more trips that go each year so more young girls were able to have the amazing experience I had!
CH

Most amazing experience of my life!

TTS is absolutely, positively a must for any girl looking for a semester abroad based on experiencing new cultures, immersion based school work and volunteering abroad. Each day is packed with new opportunities and chances to grow. The teachers are experienced travelers who help each girl reach her potential. Because of its intense nature (being abroad for 3 1/2 months, living mainly out of tents, is not easy) it had its challenges but every second was worth it. I can say, without a doubt, TTS was the best semester of my highschool years.

One of the hardest things about this semester is the abrupt changes from life at home. It was very difficult going from an american lifestyle to a nomadic, backpacking life. Especially when that life involves living side by side with 16 other girls. If I could change one thing about my semester it would be prepare more for the change in the lifestyle by contacting alumni and reading trip reviews from previous semesters.

About The Traveling School

The Traveling School offers teenage girls ages 15-18 the opportunity to explore the world and learn about themselves through academic, physical, and cultural challenges. Sixteen motivated young women and four inspiring teachers travel to a unique...