2 - 4 weeks

Program Details

Dormitory Host Family Lodge Tent
Age Max

Pricing

Covers all program activities, does not include souvenirs or round trip flight to Hawaii.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Meals
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Travel Insurance
Oct 05, 2021
May 18, 2022
0 travelers are looking at this program

Experience the indigenous knowledge of Hawai’i‘s people, dive into the environmental history of the Big Island and its progressing efforts to role model self-sufficiency. Blending awe-inspiring beauty and transformational learning and service in the areas of permaculture, natural building, and climate justice with a foundation of Hawaiian culture and exploring social justice issues, this program will be an unforgettable, perspective-shattering experience.

Program Highlights

• Experience the power of nature and creation as you watch lava give birth to new earth as it merges with the ocean at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park.
  • Immerse yourself into Hawaiian culture: language, food, mythology. Learn about the Hawaiian sovereignty movement and hear ‘story’ from elders in the community.
  • Practice Mālama ‘Āina (to take care of the land) as you dive into the key principles of permaculture, traditional and modern approaches to sustainability, eco-forward practices, and climate justice.
  • Experience 11 of the 13 microclimates, all on one island and get way beyond the traveler’s track.

Program Dates

Application Deadline
Program Dates

Zoe

Hawaii Experience Review

This trip was one of the best experiences of my life. The people I met in my group and within the communities and homestays are some of the most influential in my life and they'll always be in my heart for the experiences we shared. The work we did farming and learning about the land on the big island were so transformative in the way I think about my food and where it comes from. I will never forget the growth I endured and the perspectives I am so appreciative of being able to see. 100/10 experience! I can't wait to go back!

Pros
  • Wonderful people
  • Beautiful land
  • Perspective
Cons
  • Malaria
ainslie

Global Routes Hawaii Review: 100000/10!!!

Global Routes' programs have forever changed my life!!! I would recommend their trips to anyone looking to step outside of their comfort zone and ready to try new things. Global Routes has given me a million more reasons to smile, travel, and build connections with the people around me. I am grateful to the amazing GR team and leaders:)! As I reflect months later, I think about the impact the Hawaii program has left me with. There is not a day that goes by where I don't think about the program and how I have truly changed for the better because of it. I'm forever grateful for both opportunities to travel with GR to Costa Rica and Hawaii! If I could give you one piece of advice it would be to pick up your phone and call Adam. I promise you will not regret it!!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
On the second or third day, we got the opportunity to hike across the Mount Kilauea Volcano crater!! To make the experience even more memorable, there was a rainbow right over it as we were crossing. By far one of the coolest things I've ever seen! (See picture below!)