Projects Abroad High School Summer Volunteering in Peru

Projects Abroad High School Summer Volunteering in Peru

Spend 2 or 4 weeks of your High School summer abroad in Peru with Projects Abroad! Explore this exciting country as you volunteer with other teenagers from around the world.
Volunteer opportunities include Care & Community, Conservation, Incan & Wari Archaeology, and a Medicine internship.
For more details, visit Projects Abroad's site for high school programs!

Travel Insurance
Prices vary depending on project and number of weeks
Visit website for more details on costs

First time volunteering abroad

I had a great experience with Projects Abroad. My parents were a little worried about security and the political situation the country I would volunteer in would be so I picked Peru and it was a great choice! Projects Abroad always made sure we were happy and if we wanted to do change something in our schedule all we had to do was ask! They were very welcoming. I met so many great people like my host family, other volunteers and the staff. Not only did I volunteer but we visited Peru and its various cultural sights. Overall I had a great time and I would definitely do it again!

Make it more affordable.

Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Estelle. Thank you for sharing! We are glad you were able to join is in Peru and explore this beautiful country. Hope to see you again soon!

Medical Volunteer in Peru

I decided that during the summer I would travel to Peru with Projects Abroad and be part of their medical program. Always having an interest in the medical field, Projects Abroad allowed me to get a taste of what i wanted my future to look like. I was able to learn lots about the field and medicine itself. With the medical placements and organized clinics I learnt a lot about health care in general and in Peru specifically. The staff help was great and the accommodation was friendly and welcoming. Staying with a host family is a great way to maximize your trip and fully envelop yourself within the Peruvian culture. The planned activities far exceeded my expectations and I allowed me to see far more of Peru then I had originally expected. The trip is a great balance of learning and fun. With social activities allowing you to bond with your other volunteers and make the most of your time within the country.

Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Lily! Thanks for sharing your experience! Finding the right balance between volunteer work and social activities is what out High School Specials are all about! We design our Medicine & Healthcare programs are designed for young volunteers such as yourself to get lots of clinical exposure and learn about how medicine is practiced in the developing. We are glad you were able to join us!

Fun in Peru!

I gained so much knowledge and experience by volunteering with Projects Abroad. I was able to observe and sometimes assist different types of doctors in different departments in a clinic, participate in workshops, and spend some time with other volunteers. I liked specifically about Projects Abroad that I was able to choose the dates I went there and came back. Not only do they have a plethora of programs to choose from, but you can choose a program that is focused on something specific. For example, I chose a program focused on medicine. I also liked that we did a little sightseeing in the evenings and weekends. Although I picked a program focused on medicine, we did not just learn about medicine. I saw some tourist attractions and did fun activities with other volunteers.

The staff was very supportive of the volunteers. They helped us and explained everything as best they could. Also, the house I stayed in during my time in Peru was great. I was provided a clean, nice bedroom and bathroom with everything I need. A tasty and sufficient breakfast, lunch, and dinner were also provided everyday by my host family. The other volunteers in my program were very kind and I got along with them as soon as I met them. They have made the program more enjoyable. We still keep in touch.

All in all, volunteering abroad with Projects Abroad is a great way to go! I made unforgettable memories and got some once in a lifetime experiences.

The breaks given in this program were very long. For example, we would be sent to our host families in the middle of the day for about 3 hours. I would have loved to spent this time sightseeing instead of staying in the house.

About Projects Abroad

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast...