Projects Abroad High School Summer Volunteering in Peru

Spend 2 or 4 weeks of your High School summer abroad in Peru with Projects Abroad! Explore this exciting country as you volunteer with other teenagers from around the world.
Volunteer opportunities include Care & Community, Conservation, Incan & Wari Archaeology, and a Medicine internship.
For more details, visit Projects Abroad's site for high school programs!

Christina

Best Experience Ever with Care and Community in Peru

I did the High School Special Care and Community project in Cusco, Peru, with a good friend from home for four weeks this past summer, and I loved every minute of it! Prior to our departure, our parents were a little weary of allowing two teenage girls to travel to a different continent alone, but the Projects Abroad staff were extremely reassuring and provided a ton of information about not only what we were to expect in the country, but how to effectively prepare before and afterwards. Communication with the program was always timely and informative. When we landed in Cusco after a full 24 hours of traveling, we were met exactly in the way that had been described to us previously: with a Projects Abroad sign, by our first and last names, and with a friendly smile. In Cusco we always felt safe, and although the program was structured with activities like building furniture and painting games for schools in the area, we had plenty free time in the afternoons to explore various markets around the city and go to the mall.

The "care" aspect of our project was time we spent in a daycare. We were placed in a local, government-run program for anemic children. There, they were provided with two meals (breakfast and lunch) and a lot of fun toys to play with. Most of the teachers were also parents of a child in the center, so I think our help was very appreciated as they had their hands pretty full. We assisted mostly with feeding the kids and keeping them entertained during the day so their mothers and fathers could go to work nearby. They were all so cute! Around halfway through our time at the placement, my friend and I wanted to switch to helping the older children at the placement. Projects Abroad accommodated this change without hesitation. These kids were around four and five years old, and so we were able to actually help teach them in addition to playing. Their teacher had us make a lot of posters to hang up around their classroom as well as teach them the colors of the rainbow in English. We did lots of chalk drawings outside on the pavement too.

Our host family was amazing as well. We stayed in a house composed of five or so floors, each described as its own “apartment”, which ended up being pretty accurate. Each floor had around three bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, and living space. Our bedroom even had an ensuite bathroom, which was very nice. Even though we were prepared to sacrifice the showers we usually took at home, we were pleasantly surprised by the pressure quality and the hot water available to us always. Everything in the house was also very clean and organized. Because it was winter when we arrived, it was fairly cold in the house, as none of the buildings in Peru really have indoor heating; however, with a warm blanket, socks, and a jacket, we were fine. They provided us with three meals a day, which typically consisted of pan (a sweet bread) with butter and jam for breakfast, and rice with a meat (chicken, beef, etc.) for lunch and dinner. Overall, I had an amazing experience in Peru, and I recommend the High School Care and Community special to anyone looking to make a positive difference and get a taste for a new culture/country!

Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Christina,

It sounds like you had a wonderful time in Peru! I am sure the teachers and parents were very thankful for all your help. The kids are always happy to see new smiling faces and learn from volunteers who come from all around the world. We do understand that you are travelling very far away to a different culture, which is why our staff works very hard prior to your departure so that you are informed and have accurate expectations and that you feel safe and supported at all times once you arrive. Thanks for sharing

bianca

Medicine in Peru

This trip was a lot of firsts for me. I volunteered through projects abroad on a high school special for medicine. It was my first time travelling alone, it was my first time staying away from my parents and it was my first time doing any sort of program like this. The process of signing up and convincing my parents to let me go, was one of the most difficult parts. But, projects abroad made it easier by allowing me to talk and meet with people in Projects Abroad headquarters in my home country. They gave me reviews to read, and even got me in contact with other people who had signed up. The project itself was one of the most different and exciting experiences I've ever had. At the beginning, it was a total change in lifestyle, and routine, but sometimes, that sort of thing is completely necessary for self growth and to better understand the world around you. The trip was a great balance of being immersed into the culture, gaining experience in the medicine field, as well as being a tourist and seeing all of the tourist attractions. My host family was amazing, as well as the other students on the trip, and I hope I keep in touch with all of them.

I think that overall while it was a great balance of fun and work, I felt that a few more trips to the hospitals and more time with hands on volunteering in the hospitals would have been beneficial.
Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Bianca. We are glad we were able to help you take that step and venture out of what you knew before and experience all these firsts! I am sure they are the first of many to come!
We try to balance the volunteer work with the cultural immersion and the excursions even on short trips so it's great to hear you enjoyed your experience! Hands-on work is unfortunately not something we can offer, as this program is for young students who are just starting to learn about Medicine, which is why the volunteer role is more observational at the hospitals.
Thanks for sharing!

Estelle

First time volunteering abroad

I had a great experience with Projects Abroad. My parents were a little worried about security and the political situation the country I would volunteer in would be so I picked Peru and it was a great choice! Projects Abroad always made sure we were happy and if we wanted to do change something in our schedule all we had to do was ask! They were very welcoming. I met so many great people like my host family, other volunteers and the staff. Not only did I volunteer but we visited Peru and its various cultural sights. Overall I had a great time and I would definitely do it again!

Make it more affordable.
Response from Projects Abroad

Dear Estelle. Thank you for sharing! We are glad you were able to join is in Peru and explore this beautiful country. Hope to see you again soon!

Lily

Medical Volunteer in Peru

I decided that during the summer I would travel to Peru with Projects Abroad and be part of their medical program. Always having an interest in the medical field, Projects Abroad allowed me to get a taste of what i wanted my future to look like. I was able to learn lots about the field and medicine itself. With the medical placements and organized clinics I learnt a lot about health care in general and in Peru specifically. The staff help was great and the accommodation was friendly and welcoming. Staying with a host family is a great way to maximize your trip and fully envelop yourself within the Peruvian culture. The planned activities far exceeded my expectations and I allowed me to see far more of Peru then I had originally expected. The trip is a great balance of learning and fun. With social activities allowing you to bond with your other volunteers and make the most of your time within the country.

Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Lily! Thanks for sharing your experience! Finding the right balance between volunteer work and social activities is what out High School Specials are all about! We design our Medicine & Healthcare programs are designed for young volunteers such as yourself to get lots of clinical exposure and learn about how medicine is practiced in the developing. We are glad you were able to join us!

Ramya

Fun in Peru!

I gained so much knowledge and experience by volunteering with Projects Abroad. I was able to observe and sometimes assist different types of doctors in different departments in a clinic, participate in workshops, and spend some time with other volunteers. I liked specifically about Projects Abroad that I was able to choose the dates I went there and came back. Not only do they have a plethora of programs to choose from, but you can choose a program that is focused on something specific. For example, I chose a program focused on medicine. I also liked that we did a little sightseeing in the evenings and weekends. Although I picked a program focused on medicine, we did not just learn about medicine. I saw some tourist attractions and did fun activities with other volunteers.

The staff was very supportive of the volunteers. They helped us and explained everything as best they could. Also, the house I stayed in during my time in Peru was great. I was provided a clean, nice bedroom and bathroom with everything I need. A tasty and sufficient breakfast, lunch, and dinner were also provided everyday by my host family. The other volunteers in my program were very kind and I got along with them as soon as I met them. They have made the program more enjoyable. We still keep in touch.

All in all, volunteering abroad with Projects Abroad is a great way to go! I made unforgettable memories and got some once in a lifetime experiences.

The breaks given in this program were very long. For example, we would be sent to our host families in the middle of the day for about 3 hours. I would have loved to spent this time sightseeing instead of staying in the house.

About Projects Abroad

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast...