High School Study Abroad Exchange Program in Spain

All of my friends signed a Spanish flag for me right before I left!
All of my friends signed a Spanish flag for me right before I left!
4°C de ESO Salesianos Badajoz
4°C de ESO Salesianos Badajoz

Spend a trimester, semester, or a year abroad as a high school exchange student in Spain with Greenheart Travel! Immerse yourself in the Spanish language and culture as you attend high school classes alongside Spanish peers and live with a local host family.

As a Greenheart Traveler, you will also be matched with a personal program manager to help with the in's and out's of the program before, during and after your travels.

Program at a Glance:
- Host family accommodation provides full language & cultural immersion
- 2 years of Spanish language experience is required
- Arrival orientation in Madrid!
- You can choose between a 1 or 2-month, trimester, semester or academic year program length
- Start dates in the spring or fall

• Flight from JFK to Madrid, host family accommodation, and meals included
  • Choose a program length that fits your school schedule starting in the Fall or Spring
  • Live with a volunteer host family for full cultural immersion
  • Make new friends while exploring a new country
  • Can only study for 1 or 2 months? Inquire about our short-term program options!

Benjamin

Parent of a High School Sophomore Studying in Spain

Our daughter is spending the first semester of her sophomore year of High School studying in Spain. She has completed her first three months and is having an incredible experience. Her family is wonderful and school experience has been both challenging and incredibly rewarding. Her Spanish has improved tremendously. She began the program with only one year of High School Spanish and has been able to participate in succeed in all of her classes. She has joined the volleyball team, which has been both fun and a great way to learn Spanish. She has made many friends and is learning how to navigate life on her own in Spain. We could not be happier with the experience she is having and the support we have gotten from Green Heart Travel. They were very helpful and responsive from the beginning and helped my daughter complete her application in a relatively short time.

Louise

Year in Spain

I studied abroad through Greenheart Travel this past year. They found me the best host family who is now like an actual family to me who I will be in contact with forever. I made friends who really will last a life time and I learned so much. The staff was 100% always willing to help out and really helped prepare us at orientation. This experience actually changed me and impacted my life in ways I am still discovering. Its a growing experience, being away from everything familiar for an entire year. I went in not really having a deep understanding of Spanish but now I would consider myself a level of fluent. The most important part now that I'm home is to keep practicing Spanish. It feels funny to not be speaking Spanish constantly and not eating dinner at the normal Spanish hour 10:30 pm. All in all this was the experience of a life time and I can't wait to go back to Spain!

None.
Naomi

Spanish Exchange

I loved my experience with Greenheart Travel in Spain. I had a great host family and learned a lot about Spanish culture. Greenheart provides the perfect amount of support and guidance throughout my time abroad and my parents were informed and had constants access to my coordinators. Everyone was really welcoming and I had countless fun experiences. Now I have memories upon memories that I will never forget.

Claire

Perfect Pair

Going abroad to Spain was an incredible experience which I will never forget. Greenheart truly takes the time to carefully match you with a family and location they see best fit for you. My host mother and I spent countless hours cooking and baking, which is a hobby I truly enjoy. Not only did this provide me with an opportunity to improve my Spanish, it provided me the opportunity to create a bond with my host mother.
In addition, Greenheart provides 4 private Spanish lessons for you once you arrive and are about halfway through the program. These lessons with my Spanish teacher were some of my favorite memories from the program. Our lessons consisted of us driving to neighboring towns and speaking of their rich culture and history. While we discussed what he was showing me, which ranged from statues of conquerors to castles ruins, he gentle corrected me on what he noticed to be habitual mistakes with my Spanish. This provided a comfortable environment for me to get the feedback I needed all while learning about the history of my surroundings.

I would have enjoyed taking occasional weekend trips with the other students abroad in order to visit some of Spain's well known sites and monuments.
Paige

My family

I was placed in a family with 3 sisters all around my age. One day we decided to make brownies so I searched a recipe on the Internet in English and told them all the ingredients that went in. Well, I forgot about the difference between celcius and ferinhiet, and told her to set the oven to 350 degrees. My sister thought this was a little odd but did it anyway. After about 7 minutes of the brownies being in the oven, my other sister comes running over screaming that the brownies were on fire! We turned the oven down and the brownies surprisingly still tasted delisious! For the rest of my time in Spain when ever something bad happened our saying was don't worry eat brownies!

It would be good if there were planned visits to popular cities throughout Spain to be able to see a lot more of the country!
Eleanor

Amazing Study Abroad Program

In high school I traveled to Spain and lived with a host family for 4 months. This was such an amazing experience and it really changed my life. I had to learn how to be very independent and live somewhere I did not know anyone and barely spoke the language. Studying abroad broadened my perspective and allowed me to experience a whole new culture. I loved my host family, they were so friendly and really helped me learn Spanish and adapt to Spanish life. They also took me traveling with them around Spain, which was incredible. I still speak to them today and would love to go back and visit soon. This program really helped me become a better student and has inspired me to travel more and experience even more cultures. I totally recommend it to all high school students!

This program was very great however I would have liked to interact with the other foreign students studying abroad in Spain more. You meet them at the beginning of the program but that is it. I suggest having a middle of program meet up with all the other foreign abroad students. I think this would be very beneficial.

Location:
Barcelona–El Prat
( BCN )
Palma De Mallorca
( PMI )

Come to Spain for its beautiful beaches, variety of culture, and amazing food and wine, specifically, tapas! Each region shines with its own individuality and reflects Spain's remarkable history as one of the world's strongest empires. Get to know the country famous for fiestas, siestas, toros, tapas, and vino!

Staff Interviews

About Greenheart Travel

Greenheart Travel is a 501(c)3 non-profit, mission driven organization based in Chicago, USA. We are passionate about providing immersive cultural immersion experiences for teenagers and adults in countries all over the world. We believe in the power...