Spanish Foodie Culture in Alicante, Spain

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from CIEE Global Navigator.

Cooking Class
Cooking Class

Explore the culinary arts in one of the most popular spots on Spain's Mediterranean coast. As a “cultural explorer” in this program, you’ll discover foods unique to this region and learn about their historical and geographical context. You’ll learn about Mediterranean cooking and the food that grows best in the fertile surroundings around you, trace the historical ties of different local foods to Moorish and other cultures, and compare different foods from different regions of Spain to see what makes them unique. With each new dish you try, you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the region’s different cultures, from past to present, and appreciate their influence on the Mediterranean diet and lifestyle.

Jeristella

High School Summer Abroad in Alicante, Spain - Spanish Foodie Culture

I really enjoyed this program and highly recommend it. I loved learning about the Spanish culture. We went to class but it's not like a traditional class back home. The things we learned were fun and not boring We learned about Spanish gastronomy such as tapas, the mediterranean diet, Spanish culture such as sports and urban art, and a dash of Spanish language. It was very cool to be able to use what we learned in the classroom directly outside of the classroom wether at restaurants or interacting with the Spanish people.

Another thing I loved was being able to interact with younger Spanish people my age. I was able to practice and improve my Spanish by speaking to them. It was fun to meet and get to know them and their bubbly personalities.

It was also in this trip where I met some of the most amazing people. One of my purpose of coming to this trip was to form connections with others. I am so happy to say that I did form great connections with the people I met. I formed friendships with the members in my group and the Spanish kids we interacted with. I will never forget the memories I made with these people.

I also really liked our program leader and program coordinator. Shoutout to Manu and Yesenia. They were so fun and approachable. I could not ask for better leaders than these guys.

I am so grateful to have been given the opportunity to go on this trip. It's pretty safe to say that this summer in Spain has been one of the best moments of my life yet. I cannot wait to be back and continue exploring Spain and its marvelous culture.

I really liked the cooking lesson we had with the Spanish chef. To improve this program, CIEE should add more cooking classes that focus on variety of Spanish cuisines from tapas to paellas and such. This being a Spanish foodie program, it should contain more activities focused on gastronomy and food such as again cooking classes and food factories.

About CIEE Global Navigator

With CIEE Global Navigator High School programs, the possibilities are endless. As a U.S. high school student, you can study abroad from as little as three weeks in the summer to an entire semester or gap year. With more than 60 programs on five...