Japan: Japanimation - Anime & Manga

Japan: Japanimation - Anime & Manga

Experience Japanese culture through anime and manga. Work with professional artists as well as animators in Tokyo. Take classes at a local anime school to practice your character development and manga techniques. Immerse yourself in Japan’s vibrant culture through visits to museums and neighborhoods. Broaden your perspective on the culture during your homestay on Hokkaido, known for its natural beauty. Take a cooking class and create a Japanese family crest. Visit a Buddhist temple and study the art of Japanese calligraphy as you share daily life with your host family.

Return to Tokyo to play games in the arcades in Akihabara, the city’s anime, manga, and tech district. Wander through the busy streets of Ameyoko, ride the escalators at Ginza’s skyscraping department stores, and peer into your future as you consult the oracle at Sensō-ji, the oldest temple in Tokyo. Discover more Japanese history by visiting shrines and hot springs or participating in a traditional tea ceremony.

• Arts
  • Social Change
  • Language
  • Homestay
Asia » Japan » Tokyo
Asia » Japan
Hotel
The Experiment is the leader in financial aid and scholarships, awarding $2.4 Million in 2016 alone. Program fee includes all accommodations in country, meals, activities, conferences, in-country travel, and 24-hour on-call support. Excludes international airfare.

Mathieu
Vermont

A Culturally Enlightening and Overall Amazing Experience

This program, Japanimation: Anime & Manga was an unforgettable experience in which one can explore the culture and language of Japan, while also exploring and reflecting on yourself.
I had felt extremely safe during the trip and my leaders were exceedingly helpful, whether pointing your group towards a point of interest or giving insight into adapting into the culture. There were several oppertunities and activities which encourage one to work outside their comfort zone that had created a sense of a wonderful and inviting community. This program had also aided in the development of my own leadership skills as well as providing encouragement to work outside my comfort zone more offen. There were also a variety of other things to do other than animation and manga such as admiring Japan's natural beauty, plentiful cafés, and Arcades. This program had become an unforgettable experience to me as I look forward to going abroad with The Experiment again.

For the duration of the program, a majority of the group had felt that the amount of free time given to explore certain areas were limited. Giving future Experimenters a chance to explore more in this program would serve a less rushed feeling in places they may have wanted to revisit.

Dara
Minnesota

Japan

My experience living in japan was amazing. My animation got along with each other pretty well. The food over there was delicious! The architecture were outstanding. The program was great because of my leaders in my group. They made sure we were safe. They made each day of our trip fun! One thing to prepare for this trip is being out your comfort zone. At one point you will taking bath in a public bath. Also, you will be walking a lot. I got to learn more about the language and culture. The animation classes were super exciting. Looking at your drawing skills improving gives you a great excitement. My homestay family was amazing. I got to participate in the shrine festival and walked around the forest with the family. Overall this trip is 100 percent worth it and safe.

Longer homestay

True

Japan was lit fam

Everyone in my group, including myself, really enjoyed their time in Japan. We got along fairly quickly and learned and did so much in such a short time. We were going somewhere different just about every day. There was a lot of walking, bootleg Japanese language and gestures and trying to find wifi at seven eleven's. It was a lot of fun and I would recommend this program to just about any human being anywhere.

Living standards could be better. At one point we stayed somewhere where we unable to wash the bedsheets and efficiently dry clothing. Because of this, many participants got sick and reeked of mildew.

The Experiment in International Living provides 3-, 4-, and 5-week summer programs for high school students who want to connect deeply and engage meaningfully with the richness and complexities of another country.

Programs equip students not only with essential cultural and, in many cases, language