First Breakfast in Japan
Harajuku, Takeshita street
Meiji Shrine
Meiji Shrine
Japan: Japanimation - Anime & Manga

Experience Japanese culture through anime and manga. Work with professional artists as well as animators in Tokyo. Take classes at a local anime school to practice your character development and manga techniques. Immerse yourself in Japan’s vibrant culture through visits to museums and neighborhoods. Broaden your perspective on the culture during your homestay on Hokkaido, known for its natural beauty. Take a cooking class and create a Japanese family crest. Visit a Buddhist temple and study the art of Japanese calligraphy as you share daily life with your host family.

Return to Tokyo to play games in the arcades in Akihabara, the city’s anime, manga, and tech district. Wander through the busy streets of Ameyoko, ride the escalators at Ginza’s skyscraping department stores, and peer into your future as you consult the oracle at Sensō-ji, the oldest temple in Tokyo. Discover more Japanese history by visiting shrines and hot springs or participating in a traditional tea ceremony.

• Arts
  • Social Change
  • Language
  • Homestay

Yes, our programs are exclusively for high school students.

You need to be between 14 and 18.

Hi, Jarell! Applications to this program are accepted on a rolling basis. While we are not selective based on artistic ability, we do require teacher recommendations as part of the application process. Apply early, this is one of our most beloved and popular programs!

Our programs are available during the summer. Please visit experiment.org to view the dates and availability of all our programs!

Ella

Best Summer Ever

Through the Experiment of International living, I was able to learn about manga and anime from professionals. I made amazing friends and traveled all around Tokyo and Sapporo. The most important thing that I learned or gained from this program was a new sense of independence. Going on public transportation alone definitely made me more confident. In general, it is a really cool but niche program so you get to meet a lot of people who are interested in the same things as you. On the program, there is a week when the students each stay with a different Japanese family. I had the most amazing homestay family. They were so beyond welcoming and I am still in touch with them. This was definitely the experience of a lifetime and I recommend it!
Ella

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment was when I played a game with my host family called guess who. My host mom, Shie, put wasabi in one cream puff. Then three family members would take a cream puff and the family members who did not eat them had to guess who ate the one with wasabi. Kaho, the youngest, always pretended like she got wasabi which was really funny.
Kofi

So Much Fun

In Japan I had lots of fun. From the streets of Tokyo to the woods of Nanae in Hokkaido, our group traveled everywhere. The anime classes we attended were great, as it was a type of learning that always introduced an exciting aspect to it. We did voice lessons, worked with professional animation technology and tools, and we learned from experienced instructors. The people I met were amazing, and I'm sure to keep in touch with them.

It is perfect as it is.
Diamond

Impacting Trip

The Experiment placed me in a program that I abouseltly loved and adored. The people I spent time with made the experience so much better for me. I made life long friendships and I was able to experience things an average person wouldn’t have in just a plain trip to japan. We learned how to be independent, travel alone, explore and test our language skills.

Our host families were amazing, and I created an incredible bond with mine. Our leaders took the most care of us, and made sure we were on our right tracks. I learned how to style with animation and how to become an greater artist and person.

I would definitely recommend The Experiment to everyone I know!

Abraham

Memorable

My experience in japan was beyond expected, it was an amazing experience and I believe that I grew a lot as an individual. Traveling all around tokyo was amazing especially eating all different types of traditional meals. The homestay experience was amazing and the leaders really care a lot about our safety. Through out the whole trip I felt included and never felt bored, the program made sure we always have something to do everyday of the trip. We never had a day off from experiencing something new in Japan, however we even had time to be independent and do our own thing in japan as well, which allowed us to do what interests us.

This program doesn’t need much improvement, it excelled beyond my expectations.
Julian

Best Summer Ever

This trip allowed me to learn new things about Japanese culture and advance in the field I love to study, Animation. Going to school in Japan was a different experience than in America. I made a lot of friends. I wish I could have stayed longer, so that is something to improve upon. I miss the food. It was super tasty and cheap. I also enjoyed the trains. I wanted to get pushed into a rush hour train and I got that experience. I would gladly do this again and again. I met amazing people and I still keep in contact with them. This trip is well worth the time.

More communication between leaders and program
Mathieu

A Culturally Enlightening and Overall Amazing Experience

This program, Japanimation: Anime & Manga was an unforgettable experience in which one can explore the culture and language of Japan, while also exploring and reflecting on yourself.
I had felt extremely safe during the trip and my leaders were exceedingly helpful, whether pointing your group towards a point of interest or giving insight into adapting into the culture. There were several oppertunities and activities which encourage one to work outside their comfort zone that had created a sense of a wonderful and inviting community. This program had also aided in the development of my own leadership skills as well as providing encouragement to work outside my comfort zone more offen. There were also a variety of other things to do other than animation and manga such as admiring Japan's natural beauty, plentiful cafés, and Arcades. This program had become an unforgettable experience to me as I look forward to going abroad with The Experiment again.

For the duration of the program, a majority of the group had felt that the amount of free time given to explore certain areas were limited. Giving future Experimenters a chance to explore more in this program would serve a less rushed feeling in places they may have wanted to revisit.
Dara

Japan

My experience living in japan was amazing. My animation got along with each other pretty well. The food over there was delicious! The architecture were outstanding. The program was great because of my leaders in my group. They made sure we were safe. They made each day of our trip fun! One thing to prepare for this trip is being out your comfort zone. At one point you will taking bath in a public bath. Also, you will be walking a lot. I got to learn more about the language and culture. The animation classes were super exciting. Looking at your drawing skills improving gives you a great excitement. My homestay family was amazing. I got to participate in the shrine festival and walked around the forest with the family. Overall this trip is 100 percent worth it and safe.

Longer homestay
True

Japan was lit fam

Everyone in my group, including myself, really enjoyed their time in Japan. We got along fairly quickly and learned and did so much in such a short time. We were going somewhere different just about every day. There was a lot of walking, bootleg Japanese language and gestures and trying to find wifi at seven eleven's. It was a lot of fun and I would recommend this program to just about any human being anywhere.

Living standards could be better. At one point we stayed somewhere where we unable to wash the bedsheets and efficiently dry clothing. Because of this, many participants got sick and reeked of mildew.