Broadreach: Caribbean Underwater Discovery Voyages

Broadreach: Caribbean Underwater Discovery Voyages

Join Broadreach this summer on an underwater discovery voyage in the beautiful Caribbean. Broadreach offers 12, 17 and 21 day voyages for teens and young adults grades 7-12. They also host an advance scuba and diving program in the Caribbean Grenadines.

Participants in these programs will live aboard a yacht together experiencing the Caribbean waters. Broadreach offers teens the opportunities to travel the seas while earning diving, scuba, conservation, and yachting certifications. Advanced program participants will also have the opportunity to earn emergency response credentials.

Participants will also earn 5+ hours of community service during their Caribbean adventure.

North America
North America » US Virgin Islands
North America » St. Martin
North America » St. Lucia
Program Categories
Adventure Travel

Lila

Best Learning Experience Possible

My trip could not have been better. It was the most amazing way to learn immersed in the environment. I could not have asked for a better summer. My summer of Broadreach I made friends I will never lose and memories I will never forget. From breathing in this new underwater world to skippering our catamaran. The bond you form with the instructors and your friends is like no other. The instructors we had were amazing, some of the best teachers I have ever had. We eventually became a family. This program opened up a world of new possibility and new knowledge for me. If you have the opportunity to take this trip- do it. I promise you won't regret it.

Brooke
Louisville Kentucky

The Carribean Dream Experience

I am going to start by saying how amazing of a program Broadreach is. They are one of a kind, mainly because of the qualities they obtain that other traveling programs do not. Broadreach has the close knit relationships between instructors and students that are present, non-stop activities that keep your days 100% glum free, accommodations like no other, and so much more. I could go on forever about the life changing program. Going into the trip, I was worried and overthinking everything. My flight was canceled out to St. Maarten and I had to fly out a day late. The instructors were so nice about it and welcomed me at the airport and even bought me Ting, a sparkling grapefruit drink in some of the islands. We rode the “Mega Dinghy” out to the boat in Grand Case. All of my friends were super excited to see me and I was beyond thrilled to finally meet them. This just goes to show the positive attitudes and openness that everyone has around you. Overall, I went home to a whole new perspective on how your life is your story and you can write it how you want. You have to live life to the fullest and never waste a day of learning and loving. Thank you, Broadreach, for exceeding my expectations and for helping me have the best experience of my life.

This program could not get any better.

Shelby
Anacortes

Once in a Lifetime Experience

Incredible! A group of very different teens coming together in paradise on gorgeous boats learning to accept each other's differences and work together! Every activity is well thought out, executed perfectly, and so fun and memorable, from diving at night with sharks to building trails atop Mount Scenery in Saba! The staff are all well educated, fun, and understanding. They cultivate the perfect balance of leadership - allowing the crew to find our own way but stepping in when we need support. The close, shared living quarters allow you to become so close with the other students and create friendships that last way beyond the trip! Everyone accepts each other for who they are and encourage one another to be themselves. You come away from the trip with so many new skills, experiences, and a more understanding outlook on life.

The only way they could improve this program is to offer a longer one with more time to visit the different islands and dive!

Luke
Redmond

This Trip Blew Me Away

A trip through the Caribbean islands sailing, diving, and bonding with your boat buds is far past the description of words. The dives were breath taking. Sailing was fun peaceful and educational. But by far, the greatest part of Broadreach's program is the atmosphere before, during, and after their programs. People asked me when I got home "What did you do this summer" and I was unable to explain my experiences. A trip to Broadreach is unlike any other, and is unforgettable.

The difficulty in running refrigerators means almost all our food was shelf stable. There was a slight lack in variety, which was manageable but not ideal. Our shelf stable food means meals (on the boat not in town) were sometimes less than amazing. But considering we ate our meals in the middle of the islands with the coolest people you will meet, meals were nothing to complain about.

Dyllan
Fitchburg Ma

One of the greatest things that has ever happened to me!!!

This trip was great, one of the best decisions of my life. The sailing was great, the scuba diving was great, the food was good, the islands were amazing, the animal life was incredible. You will do so much on this trip, accomplish so much, it is definitely a good program to help you step out of your comfort zone, meet new friends and build a great family. You will share so many once in a lifetime opportunities with these people, there is nothing else like it. This trip will stay with me for ages, and i really recommend this to you. This was my first traveling experience and let me tell you, you will not regret it!! I would go back in time and do it all over a million times.

I just wish there was more time for diving, more time to experience the islands, more time to sail. We had so much time and we used that time productively but it is never enough, you will always want more, that's how great this trip is.

May
Boulder, Colorado

A Spectacular Summer Adventure

The Caribbean Underwater Discovery Voyage was the perfect way to spend my summer. I got open water scuba certified, international crew yachting certified and had an abundant amount of fun all in the span of 3 weeks. Sleeping and living on a yacht was one of my favorite experiences. It was a fantastic way to learn about sailing first hand. Also, nothing beats sleeping on the deck, under the stars with a fresh sea breeze. Living on the water was also the perfect place to learn how to scuba dive. It was incredible learning to dive while being surrounded by magnificent coral reefs and stunning marine life. In addition to learning about the ocean I also got to experience and learn about the local Island life. Each Island was unique and held it's own adventure. Along with all I learned,I gained sincere friendships through the incredible experiences we shared. I would recommend this trip to anyone interested in sailing, scuba diving and having a spectacular summer adventure!

Healthier snacks and food. Such as dried fruit and less carbs.

Will
Marblehead, Massachusetts

Best Summer Ever!

The experiences I had while on my Broadreach program with amazing. I made amazing friends while being able to dive with the coolest fish I have ever seen. One of my favorite memories was when we dove at Saba and saw a Reef Shark and turtles in the same dive! Although this trip mainly focusing around diving, we got to do so many other fun activities while traveling. We went to beaches, played water sports, and played countless games. I honestly couldn't have spent my summer anywhere better than in the Caribbean with Broadreach.

Elena
Princeton, NJ

Experience of a lifetime

This program was the most fun and best experience that I have ever had. I made great friends and saw amazing sights and animals that I could not have seen anywhere else. We hiked up a volcano, explored a fort, cleared a trail in the mountains, saw amazing marine life, including turtles, sharks, octopi, barracuda, and thousands of different types of fish, and were in the water everyday. We earned sailing and scuba certifications, including Open Water and Advanced Open Water as well as our International Yachting Crew certifications. I learned a lot about myself and my skills as well as learning new skills that can be applied elsewhere, such as leadership skills and dealing with the same people for an extended period of time.

I think this program is pretty great as it is, but if I had to change something, I would include more time exploring more of the different island towns we passed by.

Dylan
Canada

BEST SUMMER

Deciding to go on Broadreach was the best decision I ever made! The experiences and adventures were spectacular. I never would have expected how close I would become with my ship-mates and instructors in such a short period of time. It was incredibly hard to say goodbye after 3 weeks. Not only was the sailing and diving awesome, but all of the other little moments made it great like watching the stars, cooking meals, going on hikes and sharing our glums and glows each night. I will never forget all of the fun I had and the lifelong friends that I made.

If I could change anything it would be make it longer!

griffin
westchester ny

Best trip of my life!

This was the best summer of my life. The boat was amazing and so was the food. Most of all the staff was extraordinary they were all fun and funny, but safe at the same time. I would go back in a heart beat!
Best summer ever and I am going back next year!

NOTHING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Eric
West Windsor, New Jersey

Lost In Paradise

My name is Eric, and I am so glad I decided to go on this trip to start off my summer. I want to talk about the lifestyle and freedom I experienced. I was taking my final exam the day before the trip started, and suddenly the next day I was on board a yacht in the Caribbean. That feeling was unbelievable, how I would eat dinner under the sunset, go to sleep under the stars and look at the lights on the islands, and wake up to some of the most beautiful sunrises I've ever seen everyday. It was a great escape from school and everything else I was stressing about, because everyday was so packed and when I did have breaks, the beauty of paradise pulled me away from my worries.

Diving and sailing were the main focus of the program, and this experience really opened my eyes up. It was the first time that I had done either of those things, and it really blew my mind away. I was very nervous when I first started "breathing" underwater, but then I got very comfortable, to the point where I couldn't wait to get into the water again. Sailing was also something I've always wanted to do, watching the bow of the boat piercing the beautiful waters of the Caribbean was simply fascinating. I think this trip really took me away. When I was diving all I could hear was the sound of me breathing and the beating of my heart, nothing else. It was very peaceful and magical watching the sun reflecting on the surface of the ocean above me. Swimming with the fishes was incredible, too. It enabled me to interact with nature and almost become one with it. When I was sailing I was thinking much less than diving, being on a boat just really makes me happy and sailing around the islands was definitely on my bucket list.

The program was very nicely and carefully organized and I had an amazing time. The staff was an amazing crew, there were a lot of unique individuals with lots of stories to tell. Together it created a very positive atmosphere for me and my friends, in which we were able to enjoy.

I wasn't a big fan of the shower, maybe if the boat could carry a little more fresh water then we could increase our shower a bit longer.

jack

Best Adventure of my life so far

What I was expecting did could not even describe what it actually was like. Waking up on a boat every morning with the fresh sea air was amazing and just knowing that you are going to spend the day diving and sailing is such a great way to live.

Everyday you go on at least 2 dives, one in the morning and one a little after lunch, and on some days you do night dives which are just spectacular. At night you see some of the most amazing things like giant crabs, jelly fish, and sharks, and when you turn your lights off you get to see the illumination of the phytoplankton which makes the dark waters look like the night sky.

The instructors on the trip are the best kind of people you could find to do something like this. They are intelligent, fun, and make sure you are safe while having the best time of your life.

I feel like there where a lot of people on one boat and sometimes it made me a little claustrophobic and it was hard to get some time to yourself. I had 15 people on my boat including instructors so I feel like 10-12 would be much more comfortable.

Ariele
Yardley, Pennsylvania

Best Summer Ever!

Going on this trip has actually changed my life. I met the most amazing people, had the most amazing time, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Especially since it was my first time out of the country, BroadReach made it worth my while.

More opportunities to explore the towns and get emerged into the culture

Sam
Boston, MA

An Amazing trip

This 3 week program was an amazing experience. Some memorable events include the hike up on the mountain in St. Kitts, diving in Saba, going to town in St. Barth's, sunsets on the boat, our nite dive in St. kitts, cliff jumping in Saba, and wake boarding with my sailing instructor and trying to pull off a backflip. Diving every day and beautiful oceans make a great summer.

I think i would change how many people live on the boat. Although it is good to have many peers and people supporting you it is also a pain sometimes with 12 people in a dive group and only one dive instructor.

Dylan
Chicago, Il

Best Summer Ever!

This Broadreach trip changed my life. Every day was a new adventure spent with great people in great places. During the trip I made 12 new best friends. On top of that, the counselors were some of the nicest, smartest, and benevolent people i have ever met.

Anna
Larchmont, New York

My best summers

I cannot even begin to tell you how awesome Broadreach is. I have spent my last three summers with Broadreach and each one has been equally amazing in their own ways. I have done the Caribbean Advanced scuba and Grenadines Advanced scuba. This summer i did Belize dolphin studies and i had the most amazing time, from watching dolphins in the open water to seeing the aquatic life the lives in the reef of the blue hole. The entire three weeks was wonderful. With Broadreach, i have come to learn that you grow so close to the people on your trip, regardless of their age or where they are from. You try new foods, new activities, and maybe even conquer a few fears. I still stay in touch with kids from all three of my trips, they are some of the best friends. I know that if i spend a summer with broadreach, no matter where i go, i will have so many amazing stories to tell when i get home.

I would allow more time in the towns of the places you visit, its really great to see the culture or where you are staying

Josie
Culpeper, VA

Team Hard Body

This is hands down one of the best experiences I've ever had. Not only was I able to see underwater canyons and beautiful rain forests, I was also able to join a select group known as Team Hard Body. The Team raced up dormant volcanoes, became certified Emergency First Responders and rescue divers, dove ship wrecks, and had some pretty intense games of ultimate frisbee. All the while our bodies hardened and our skin tanned. Team Hard Body was more than just one summer trip. It created some of my favorite memories that will stay with me and will bring a smile to my face many years later. I highly recommend this trip for anyone.

I would adjust the packing list slightly. For example; Tevas are not needed, but don't bring your favorite tennis shoes.

FightingIrish07
Richmond, Virginia

Trip of a lifetime

Awesome experience... Had the time of my life. I loved the food. All of the instructors were great. They really helped us out and made the difficult to learn diving really easy and fun. I hope to go again next year.

Phillip
Los Angeles, California
University of Southern California

Caribbean Grenadines Advanced Scuba Voyage

My experience on the Caribbean Grenadines Advanced Scuba Voyage of 2011 was nothing short of incredible. The entire boat bonded immediately due to the relaxed and comfortable environment set forth by our three wonderful instructors. At first, living on a boat proved challenging due to the many daily chores that are required to keep it in peak condition, however before long, it just became another part of the daily routine. In fact, many aspects of the trip followed that format- complicated processes soon became second nature and were executed with ease. Setting up dive gear, for example, is something that I guarantee every single person on the boat can still do with their eyes closed. The staff on my trip had cavernous knowledge about both diving and sailing. Any questions I asked were always answered in detail using simple metaphors or memory tricks. We learned how to navigate on the sea, the many rules of oceanic right of way, and how to safely take on a voyage independently. Beneath the water, the instructors taught us the correct techniques and scuba practices to be worthy of the Padi Rescue Diver Certification that is earned at the end of the program. I never felt unsafe or in danger during a dive because we stuck to a strictly enforced buddy system. Actually, on the contrary, especially towards the last week, I felt assured in my new abilities to help a diver in an emergency situation.
Along with the diving and sailing experience, traveling between the Grenadine Islands highlighted the trip. Each island has its own individual style, and the amount of Caribbean culture we were exposed to both astounded and humbled me. Coming from New York City, I was shocked to see how differently, but yet, no less joyously people lived in other parts of the world. When we made port, there were opportunities to explore the towns, and buy lunch or souvenirs. Everything is relatively cheap, and not much extra cash is necessary to have a good time off the boat. I spent less than $100 during the entirety of the three weeks because Broadreach covers the best and most memorable experiences. Overall, Broadreach provided me with unforgettable diving in some of the most beautiful water in the world, and helped build my confidence to travel the world.

Although this program had everything I wanted and more, if I had to change something, I would add more interaction with locals. For example, we went to the Oldhegg Turtle Sanctuary and in exchange for helping with their daily routine, we got to see a turtle being released into the wild. More experiences of this kind would have been appreciated.

Emily
Kansas City, Missouri

BEST TRIP EVER

I loved this trip. It was the best thing I have ever done. This trip changed me in the best ways possible, making me a better person. The people and instructors were amazing and we all grew to love each other as if we were truly a family. I loved the scuba diving, it was terrifying in the beginning but our instructors talked us through everything, making me feel much better. The things we saw while we were diving were beautiful. It was something I've never experienced before, and I loved it. The academic lessons were what every typical teenager would say, boring. Our instructors made it as fun as they could, and they were great at talking us through the things we struggled with, such as the dive tables. I also loved the sailing! I was worried I'd get sea sick, but our skipper was great and she knew tons of tricks to prevent it. She was great at showing us how everything worked, and great at helping us study for our test. Overall, this trip was amazing, going on it was the best decision of my life.

I would change some of the meals. Some were great, but others were just weird, for example the tuna melt, a piece of bread with a piece of cheese and some canned tuna. It wasn't really a favorite meal of many people.

dardenya
Mississippi
Saint Andrews Presbyterian College

Most Amazing Learning and Growing Experience

Going on the Caribbean underwater voyage was by far one of the greatest learning experiences I have ever had. I grew in self confidence, became more adaptable, as well as much more independent. These traits can be thanks to the instructors(not the typical camp counselors). We would wake up early, go on an early morning dive, make breakfast, clean the boat, go sailing, and so on. A great thing that Broadreach does is that they have the instructors designate a leader of the day, which is one of your fellow students that are to help organize the day. All in all, there were so many more great things (far to many to type).

Perhaps the living conditions... It was fine, just sometimes the yacht got a little cramped and dirty.

Piers
New York, New York

A Once In a Lifetime Journey!

Broadreach offers more than just a summer camp journey, the trips they offer are truly 'Once In a Lifetime Journies'. What more could a person ask for than being able to travel the islands of the Caribbean on a forty foot catamaran while at the same time learning to sail, scuba dive, climb mountains, help communities, wakeboard, waterski, etc. After looking back at my journey in the Caribbean and thinking of all the life long friends I made, I would be happy to do it all over again.

I would not change anything, but if i had to, I wish I had been able to do more scuba diving because I loved the scuba diving aspect of the journey the most.

Elsa
Wyoming

Caribbean Grenadines Advanced Scuba Voyage

The Caribbean Grenadines Advanced Scuba Voyage was an over all amazing, life-changing, and thrilling summer trip. A regular day on the boat would include waking up for a dawn dive, making breakfast by yourself for the whole boat, going on another dive, having fun and swimming around the boat, having lunch prepared by another student, going on another dive, then another, then dinner, then another dive. You will receive around four dive specialties and a sailing specialty per trip, with possibly getting an Emergency First Responder certification along with a Rescue Diver certification. The amazing thing is is that you won't just come away from the trip with new knowledge on diving and sailing, you will come home with new life long friends from around the country, and memories that can never be repeated. I am still seeing myself apply things I learned on the catamaran to things at school or at home. All in all, the Caribbean Grenadines Advanced Scuba Voyage is the way to go. Take it from somebody who has gone, and loved it!

Students should not have to pack the scuba gear sent to them. It should already be waiting on the boat, so that students don't have to worry about weight or unnecessary packing restrictions.

rosie
Oak Park, Illinois

I wouldn't be the same without it!

Costa Rica & Panama Primate Studies was an experience I would not be the same without. The academic course was incredibly interesting and not only taught me a great deal about primates and rainforest ecology, but also about my own desire to learn. I loved the community service activities we did, and I truly feel like I made a difference. The leader of the day program was an amazing opportunity to test out a leadership position and learn how to make decisions to benefit the whole group. The work we did at the wildlife sanctuary was my favorite part because it was so hands on. This experience has helped me to realize what I want to do with my life, which is to be a zoologist.

If I had to change one thing about the program, I would include more field experiences and adventure related activities, like the rafting trip at the very beginning of the program. While I enjoyed the academic part, I wish we had had a little more time to explore the rainforests and cultures of Costa Rica and Panama.

Kieran
Stuart, Florida

Kieran Anderson

The trip was a life changing experience. Diving exposes you to a whole new world. You and your crew mates will become great friends. Everyone had a great time and got along perfectly. If you have the opportunity to participate in a program definitely go.

This program was perfect.

Caroline
Clinton, NY

Time of my Life

I have been on two Broadreach trips in the past two years. I can honestly say that my Broadreach experiences have been the most amazing and life changing experience of my life. From spending the day at a hidden beach to become EFR and Rescue Diver certified Broadreach knows how to make a trip amazing. Needless to say that the day is filled from 5am to 11pm most days and since you're on a boat you never know the date. Don't be nervous though, you never feel tired because you are having too much fun! The people that are constantly around you become more then friends, but a family. After the awkward first day of not knowing anyone everyone starts to open up and bond. Even after leaving Broadreach you stay in touch and find times to video chat even though some people live on the West coast and the others on the East. The friendship that you make never goes away because you share so many great memories with people that it is physically impossible to forget. Even your group leaders keep in touch with you! Broadreach is an experience that has made me who I am, a girl who loves to spend her time learning about the ocean and blowing bubbles. I highly recommend Broadreach to any teenager who is looking for a fun, educational way to spend their summer, especially if they have a love for something. My experiences on Broadreach adventures have been so great that I wouldn't give anything in the world to exchange them. Not a day goes by where I don't think about some memory from one of my trips or dream of the next exotic location that I will travel to.

I would change the length of the programs because it seems like not even a week goes by and you are saying goodbye to your extended family.

DFK1010
new york, new york

A life changing experience!

Over this past summer I had a unique experience traveling through the Caribbean on a “live aboard yacht” for 3 weeks. On this trip of a lifetime, I got my advanced open water scuba certification and my International Yacht Training certification. I also learned so much about the history of the islands we visited and their various cultures. I really enjoyed visiting new places and getting to do community service on one of the islands. I did community service in St. Eustatius. The service I did was “scrub-mooring balls.” This process entailed diving while scrubbing the mooring line with a wire brush. Cleaning these items helps them last longer and keeps the surrounding waters cleaner. I thought it was a cool and really exciting experience because while bettering the St. Eustatius Ocean, it allowed me to give back to the island, especially after having such a rewarding experience. Another part of this trip that was quite unique was that I lived in very small quarters with 12 other students from all over the United States, and I made 12 great friends that I will have for the rest of my life. I really enjoy meeting new people and I felt that going on this trip I would make some great new friends. Making new friends is a skill that I felt that I have always been good at. I think this skill is very important because it gives me the opportunity to go anywhere and always feel comfortable. This trip also strengthened my love for travel. I truly enjoyed traveling around the Caribbean and I hope to travel all around the world and experience what the world has to offer. Another amazing part of this trip was the staff. They were the most caring, loving and interesting people I have ever met. While having fun they did an amazing job of being safe and teaching us things in a fun environment. The staff far pasted my expectations and I couldn’t have asked for better instructors. On a day to day basic the program entailed one major thing, which was DIVING. The whole group learned together, worked together and failed together. I believe that working together was the one thing that made our group a family. I would definitely recommend this program for anyone who wants to learn, grow and have an unforgettable adventure. GO BROADREACH

For more than 25 years, Broadreach has expanded the horizons of over 17,000 middle school, high school and college students. On more than 70 different summer adventures in over 40 countries, Broadreach students have pursued their interests and passions, unlocking the world, understanding its people