Sol Abroad High School Program in Spain

Study abroad and learn Spanish in one of the most ancient and diverse cities in Spain...¡Granada! Explore the narrow, cobble-stoned streets of the former Muslim quarter, the Albaycin, wander the passageways of the Alhambra Palace, or enter the white-washed caves of the Gypsies and experience the passion of a flamenco performance. Study at the accredited University of Granada or the prestigious IDEA Spanish Academy. Classes are taught in Granada's enchanting historic district. Sol Abroad high school programs provide quality academic support and assistance throughout your program.

• Highly rated homestays
  • Included excursions and cultural activities
  • High-level academic advising and assistance
  • Attentive and dedicated onsite directors
  • Very personable and inclusive program

Yes, 100%. I am a mom who always knows we're her kids are and I felt like they were so well supervised. We visited at the end and realized what a perfect place Spain (and Granada) was for our kids.

Erin

SolAbroad will change your life!!

Before I studied abroad in Spain with SolAbroad, I had never been out of the country. I had never even owned a passport. So it was the craziest feeling ever when I stepped off that 9 hour overseas flight and I was in the huge Madrid airport and knew everyone and everything I was familiar with was across the globe. Spain is incredible. The people were so welcoming and kind and it was impossible to not be happy there. The university was very
well set up - you take a placement test when you first get there and you are in a class exactly for your knowledge level and the teachers are every good at
what they do. Rocio y Alejandro were like parents to us. They were more than willing to help us with whatever we needed, whether it was academically or personally. Also, another thing I really liked about this program was that we were not booked full of activities throughout the day. We always had our time to wander around and go places individually. The friendships I made were so strong, but the love I developed for that country is even stronger. One day we met on the corner of Calle Neptuno and all got in a bus and drove down to Nerja beach. That was so incredible. There were little coves around the cliffs that you could go in and it was so beautiful it didn't seem like real life. Another day, we went hiking in Los Alpujarres. We trekked between a few isolated villages on the slope of these huge Spanish mountains. We picked cherries off trees and ate them and learned about the different nut trees. A different day, we went to an Arabic bath house. That was so cool I can't even describe it. After relaxing between baths of cold and hot water, we got a 20 minute massage. One of the most incredible sights in Granada was La Alhambra. That is an old fortress and one of the main attractions of Granada. The view from the watch tower is breath taking. There was also very interesting art and science museos that we visited and an old beautiful cathedral. We were free a lot of the time, so you could either lay in your host families room, go out to explore the city, go to mass, visit los museos again, or even go to a Spanish cook's kitchen and learn how to make a dish. We also went to a stunning Flamenco performance and learned some steps from the dancers! Also, my host family was so so amazing. The mother would sit down with us every meal and talk to us about her life and about the Spanish culture. She was so kind hearted and full of generosity and love. The children were funny and the husband was proud of being Spanish. The Spanish are a very passionate people. They are serious but also light hearted. If you go to Spain, you will leave a piece of your heart there. My experience in Spain is something that I think about every day of my life. If I could recommend you do anything ever in your life, it would be to go to Spain, and SolAbroad makes that experience stress free and absolutely impossible to forget.

The only critique I have is that the advisors encourage us to speak Spanish all the time, especially when we are on a tour around the city or at a place. It would help gain fluency!
Emmet

Amazing High School Experience

Sol set me up with a great host family and I had some exchange kids as my roommates. They did an excellent job planning activities and making sure we were well taken care of. I had a blast and loved the other students in my group! Granada was the perfect sized city to walk around on my own but there were still lots of things to do there. I am from New York City so I am used to lots of things to do and I thought Granada was a perfect place to feel on my own. I loved Sol and Granada and I might go back again for another program with them because I totally trust them.

My level of Spanish was a bit different than the class I was placed in. I should have asked for a different level but I stayed with the group I had met.
Payton

Do It!!!

I had the most amazing time and I learned so much throughout the entire experience. I made so many friends that I still keep up with and I still keep up with my host family too! I had a great time and I think anyone that has a passion for traveling and learning new things should definitely come to this program! The college that we went to, the CLM was amazing and the professors there were so helpful and amazing. In all, it was a great experience that I was able to better my understanding of the language, learn the culture, and learn a lot of interesting history. I also learned that I have a love of traveling and studying abroad!

Sophie

Amazing Experience that I'll remember forever

Sol was an amazing program and I'm so glad I chose to go abroad with them. Granada was a beautiful city but it wouldn't have been as great without all the cultural activities we did. From Arabic Tea houses to Arabic Baths, Hiking, going to the beach, learning to Flamenco and learning how to cook Spanish foods, Sol allowed me to try a bunch of new things I wouldn't have tried otherwise. Also, the classes were 10x as effective in improving my Spanish and than a regular classroom during the year would have been. We spent almost a college semester (for the month I was there) learning and improve our Spanish. On top of everything, Granada is just an amazing city with so much to do. I would recommend Sol to anyone who wants to try learning Spanish in another country.

More activities would have been nice on the couple of free afternoons we had but aside from that it's awesome!
Maya

A Walk in the Park

My host family had a puppy named Hancock, and being able to get out and walk him everyday really helped with the transition of living in a foreign country and made me feel like I really live in Spain! At the park, I got to know neighbors who also had dogs, and was able to chat with other families about my experience in the U.S. and their experiences in Spain. Who knew the trick to feeling at home was just a walk in the park?!

Saniyah

A summer to remember

Signing up for Sol Abroad was awesome because i didnt know what to expect. But it was amazing because i got to learn so many new things about the Spanish colture and language! Elie was an amazing director and he was always there to help us whenever we needed it, even if it was a major inconvenience to him. My host family was also amazing! Overall, this has been an amazing and life changing exerpience, and i will remain in touch with all of the friends ive made !!

Perhaps we could do some overnight excursions next time, lol!
Sanddhya

An Experience of a Lifetime

If you're looking for an exotic, diverse, interesting experience in your life, a study broad in Spain is what you need! Prior to going to this fascinating country, I was fairly nervous, especially for things such as living with a host family who does not know any English, and also just blending in well with the Spanish social scene. However, once I was in Spain, I loved everything about those three and a half weeks. The teachers gave us just the right amount of freedom so we could explore Spain and feel independent, while also keeping us safe at all times and always checking in on us to make sure everything was all right. In addition, they took us to various aspects of Spanish culture, all of which were very different on their own. I would say one of my favorite excursions we did was Los Cahorros, because while some parts of the hike were a little out of my comfort zone, with slippery rocks, and narrow paths, once we passed the bridges and cave, I felt like seeing the river at the end was a little gem. Also, I loved climbing up to the top of the hill to get a beautiful view of the natural setting. Overall, I would definitely recommend this trip to any type of person, outgoing or introverted, because each person will be able to take away something unique from this gem of a place!

Erin

Happy parents!

We sent a 14 and 15 year old on the trip to Granada and from the very beginning the program was accommodating . The boys were able to live together with a family they described as fun and full of energy in a centrally located apartment that made it easy for them to get around. The sol abroad did an excellent job of keeping us abreast of important information like the boys initial arrival in Madrid and regular Facebook postings of pictures. We feel like their time was well spent with a perfect balance of class, excursions and time with their host family. We hoped the experience would open their eyes to the world around them and that is exactly what happened. We were able to travel to Granada to pick the boys up and we're thrilled to share in a bit of their experience. The sol abroad program was a huge success in our eyes. Thank you.

Alex

I Never Would Have

While I was here, I met some really awesome people. One of my friends is really interested in seeing as much culture as possible. Thanks to her, I went to the Biodome and saw some really weird and really awesome animals and exhibits, and I tried vegan cuisihne! I´m so grateful that she had the energy to plan even more separate excursions on top of all of our pre-planned activities, and I´m so happy to have met her!

Ruby

Sol Abroad Spain

My time in Spain was definitely worthwhile. I met lots of new people, improved my Spanish, and experienced tons of new things. My host family eas extremely generous, but I had hoped to spend more time with them. I had tons of fun at the beach, trying new food, and generally immersing myself into the Spanish culture. The program is well put-together, but directors are a bit hostile about free time, although it is offered and "encouraged".

Natalie

nice nice

holy cannoli was this experience freaking RAD. i just cannot even put into words how rad it was. i have gained experiences and met people that i would not have known if i had not been on this trip. it has truly been a blessing and i am so glad i came. the cultural and educational knowledge ive acquired is above par and above anything i ever could have dreamed and experienced. id like to thank sol abroad and my director for every wonderful experience and also the school who was so gracious to accept me. thank you. i love yall.

NÖ¨THING IT I S PER FECT
James

Granada, Spain

We attended many different sites, but the true cultural experience begins with your own exploration; go with friends not with the director. Try to see and experience as much of Granada as possible because the excursions will not reveal everything. Do not expect all of Granada to reveal itself to you as much of it lies behind the tourist areas of puerta real and plaza nueva. This is my advice to you.

The staff needs changing.
Anonymous

My best summer trip ever

I loved going to school in the mornings but then being free the rest of the day to explore and hang out with friends. The cultural activities were also amazing and really helped me learn about Spain. My teachers were amazing- I still keep in touch with them on Facebook and they helped teach cultural things and made our conversational Spanish better. I met such amazing people on the trip and still talk to them all the time. There were so many fun things to do at night and during the day around Granada. The homestay was an amazing experience- I had the best host mom who was so welcoming and really wanted to help us learn about the culture and language. The trip is definitely one of my best summer memories.

Classes for my group were not split up by ability level, so some people didn't learn many things. It worked out fine though because we focused on conversation and culture. If I had to change something though, I might split up people more on ability level.

About Sol Abroad

Sol Abroad is an affordable high school study abroad, Gap Year and Spanish immersion program for students 14 - 18 years of age. There are programs offered during the summer and semester. Sol students live with local families, take Spanish classes on...