Summer Teen Travel in Southern Africa with Bold Earth

Students spell AFRICA on the beach
Students spell AFRICA on the beach
Students at Elephant Sanctuary
Students at Elephant Sanctuary

South Africa, Mozambique, & Swaziland in three incredible weeks!

It’s time to journey to the world’s second-largest continent, land where majestic elephants, massive buffalo, and elusive big cats roam. In addition to getting relatively up close and personal with members of the Big Five, we’ll dedicate time to learning about South Africa’s history, giving back to communities in Swaziland, and exploring the beautiful beaches, waters, and nature reserves of these extraordinary African countries. Highlights include surfing, snorkeling, kayaking, safari, service, and more!

Epic Africa is the trip of a lifetime.

Amelia

South Africa with bold earth

I have a stellar time spending time the three beautiful countries we visited. The cuisine was excellent and housing was comfortable. Every one participating was friendly, unique, outgoing and caring! This is my third year with bold earth and I’m so excited for next year with them! I would recommend this to anyone looking for adventure and new friendships. Every person I met hade a fantastic story to tell, I’ve e learned so much culture that books could never capture. I’ve learned that the little acts of kindness the show every create a better day for someone else, even if you aren’t able to speak the same language. I’ve been home for two weeks and I’m missing the friends I’ve made and of course the food. I hope anyone reading this we be inspired to check out this amazing trip!

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment of the trip is when we completed our trip leaders challenge of farting to 15. We received ice cream for the win!
Kyla

Communicating without words

While I was in south Africa, I was volunteering with the UNESCO waterberg survey. We stayed in these amazing huts that were designed using cow manure. The women who ran the places we were staying did not speak English but spoke sepedi.I felt a sense of connection to these women already and had many conversations with them without having to use words but gestures. I helped them make skirts and fabrics and dry off dishes. It was powerful. They embraced me with hugs and waves every time I saw them. We communicated without words but there was much being said. These women made me feel like I was surrounded by family and considered them as family. Regardless of us not being able to verbally speak the other persons language, I still felt like we were connected and we understood one another. At one point, they gave me a name. They called me what sounded like montewoo which means mother elephant. I think it is spelled mmetlou but I am not sure. Every time I would see them they would shout the name out loud and embrace me with a hug. When I had to say goodbye to them, that was the hardest part of the trip. They knew I was leaving and the hug they provided was even longer.

I think I would change the cost of the program. I would hope that there could be possible sponsorship or donations so more students could go especially students or people who might not have the funds that the program is requesting. I think many people need this experience of other countries and helping every one out. I think people need to help people out in any country especially when there are young people involved. I think making the program accessible for all people especially college students who might not be able to afford it would be a great way to improve the program.
Response from Bold Earth Adventures

Thank you for such a thoughtful review of your Epic Africa trip! We're so happy to hear you had such a deeply enriching summer with us, and we appreciate that you took the time to share your experience!

Since 1976,
Abbott Wallis & the Bold Earth Team

About Bold Earth Adventures

Welcome to Bold Earth! Since 1976, we have served more than 20,000 families through our adventure and travel programs. Our itineraries are designed to maximize fun, foster personal growth, and create close-knit communities. Our goal is to create the...