Summer Volunteer Program in Tanzania

Summer Volunteer Program in Tanzania

Work side-by-side with local leaders fixing up schools and orphanages facilities During the weekends, experience a real African wildlife safari and live among the Masai people and learn first-hand about their unique culture. Go beyond the movies and discover the real Africa.

Program Highlights
- Teach English in local classrooms and volunteer on projects at a village primary school
- See zebras, lions, rhinos and more on an incredible African safari
- Hike to a waterfall near Mount Kilimanjaro
- Spend a day among the Maasai nomadic warrior tribe

Africa » Tanzania
Program Categories

Includes: All meals and purified water, Lodging in GLA Home-Base, All excursions and activities, 24-hour emergency hotline, Airport Transportation, Local Transportation, Pre-departure Orientation, Travel, medical and evacuation insurance, Phone call home upon arrival.

Isabell
Houston

My GLA experience

I went on the 14 day program in Tanzania which was absolutely incredible. We did service during the A.M. on weekdays which was hard work but so heart warming. I had the opportunity to teach English to the 3rd graders at the local school, this was the first year they would be learning English in school. Afterwards, we were able to play together at recess and then volunteers proceeded to do 2 hours taking up and redoing concrete floors, and repainting classrooms with local staff and workers who guided us so incredibly through everything. The thing about making relationships with the third graders was that it was their first year learning English and I had only taken a crash course on Swahili. But I became very close with a young girl who I will never forget and we became very close despite the language barrier. This trip wasn’t about assimilation or volunteer hours. This trip was about being the change. I was changed by those kids and I know part of those kids were changed by me. The country of Tanzania is beautiful and Global leadership adventures was absolutely amazing at letting us see all parts of it and really indulging into the culture that it felt like when i got back to the U.S. i wasn’t “home.” GLA changed my life and I would love to be apart of what they do for the rest of my life. We got to go on a 2 day safari and learn about the history of Tanzania and whats going on in the culture and politics of the nation from people who are from Tanzania. We lived with staff from the town we went to visit. I don’t think theres any better way to do service and learn about people and a culture than how GLA does it.

Updated packing list.

Lydia
Illinois, United States

Global Leadership Adventures- Tanzania: Heart and Soul

This summer, I went to Tanzania with the program Global Leadership Adventures. I had never been out of the country before, and I was definitely very nervous. After the many hours of travelling to get there, about 20 other students and I arrived at the Kilimanjaro International Airport. Right away, the staff was welcoming and they were so excited to see us. Throughout my time there, my experience was so unique because everyday it felt like I learned something about myself. I felt so grateful and I was so happy every minute I was in Tanzania. Seeing the little children's faces light up when we walked into the classroom to teach them, and seeing how excited they would get when we taught them new words, was the most beautiful sight and feeling. I learned how much I really loved what I was doing, and what path I wanted to head down in my future. For the participants that are going to travel with Global Leadership Adventures, they should know that it is okay to be nervous, but that the staff that work for the organization are going to make you feel at home. There was not a day the whole time I was there I felt uncomfortable in the presence of any staff member. They made me feel like I was apart of this huge second family. The trip impacted my life in so many positive ways. When I came home, I had an overwhelming sense of thankfulness and happiness. The people in Tanzania taught my what happiness is, and it is not having a bunch of things and you should never be upset when you don't get what you want. They taught me that happiness is surrounding yourself with people that are positive, loving, and grateful. It also impacted my life so much because it made me realize the type of profession I want to be in my future. Next year, wherever I decide to go to college, I will be majoring in international studies so I can continue to learn about different cultures and travel the world. My main tip would be push yourself. Push yourself out of your comfort zone, because if I had not pushed myself out of mine, my life would not have been forever changed.

I truly have no recommendations for the organization for improvement, because to me it was perfectly organized. This trip was truly the most amazing time of my life, and I would not ask for a single thing to be different.

Taylor
Pennsylvania

Nothing Better

Imagine being surrounded by like minded people and people of a completely different culture than the one you have always known. Imagine dancing with a Maasai tribe, teaching primary school children, and observing lions in their natural habitat. Now stop imaging and experience it. My time in Tanzania was the best of my life. I learned gratitude, patience, and appreciation. I learned my passions. I learned my potential. I learned about myself. I felt incredibly safe and respected throughout the program. The directors and mentors make a huge effort to get to know each student. Every part of my trip changed me and molded me into a better person. I am so excited for my next trip with GLA! Take the leap and join Global Leadership Adventures!!!!!!

I genuinely think that this program is perfect in every way and I truly would not change it.

Maeve
Massachusetts, USA

Two Weeks in Tanzania

I traveled to Tanzania with Global Lewdeship Adventures for two weeks in August 2017. I am someone who is very attached to the their friends and family, and couldn't imagine traveling with a group of strangers for two weeks abroad. As my trip neared, I thought I was crazy for signing myself up! But I wouldn't have wanted to go with any other program. Global Leadership Adventures made my trip the most amazing thing I have ever done. I made friends I still talk to and hope to see soon, and I made relationships with Tanzanians that I hope to never lose touch with. This program made me realize how incredible the world around us is, and forced me to put myself out there and engage in this wonderful world. I could not recommend this program enough. The staff and experience made me appreciat life more, and gave me a bad case of th travel bug. I'll be back, Tanzania!!

In all honesty, my trip was an amazing experience and I wouldn't change a thing.

Eleanor
Los Angeles, California

Global Leadership Adventures: Heart & Soul of Africa - 2 Week Program

In June 2015, I went on the GLA Heart & Soul of Africa trip in Arusha, Tanzania. These two weeks were honestly the best and most rewarding weeks of my life. I learned and personally got to experience Tanzania culture - from eating food to speaking in Swahili to the locals, I gained so much valuable insight and knowledge into not just a different culture but a different world as well. In two weeks, I experienced so many things - painting traditional African batik paintings, hiking the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro, cooking plantain soup, teaching primary school kids, exploring the wild outdoors through the safari weekend at Ngorongoro Crater and Tarangire National Park, and so much more. To parents who are interested in sending their kids to a volunteer program or students who are interested in going, I highly recommend not just Global Leadership Adventures but the Heart & Soul of Africa trip as well, as they make sure you are comfortable and safe during the whole trip while also providing you with the culture and experience of that country you are visiting. A helpful tip to anyone going on a trip like this: keep an open mind! Don't shy away from any activities! You are probably already outside your comfort zone just by flying to another country, but try to have an open mind to make sure that you make the most of the trip and your time in Tanzania!

Michelle
Boston, Massachusetts

Thank you, GLA Tanzania!

What sets GLA apart is not only the amazing cultural immersion and the knowledge that you're actually contributing to the local community, but the incredibly open minded and thought provoking environment. Every night by kerosine lamp light, amazing mentors (shoutout to Swiff Amy Paulina and Sara!) would inspire profound conversation about our personal lives, Tanzania, and world/societal issues that would leave everyone reluctant to go to bed. I found myself spending a morning discussing philosophy in a safari car with people I'd just met, then spending that afternoon whooping with the roof down and wind blowing as we drove alongside wildebeest herds. Every single day we would learn more about Tanzanian culture (I bought WAY too much art at the markets) and fall more in love with how beautiful the country is, and our local staff were family to us. We would even call them kaka (brother), dada (sister), and mama! On top of that, the friends you make on a GLA trip will not only be some of the most amazing genuine and thoughtful people you'll ever meet, but they'll also inspire you to be open minded everyday henceforth. Out of all 40 people who went to Tanzania with me, not one of them felt as though their life was not changed afterwards. There is just something about walking home hand in hand with little Zainabu singing Waka Waka as the sun sets that makes you love life more. There was never a single moment not filled with discovery of both self and surroundings, and because of GLA I have become a wiser, more passionate, and more compassionate person. I am thankful for my experience everyday.

Though the challenge was overcome in the end and tested leadership and problem solving skills, teaching the kids English without a set curriculum or level based classes was very difficult initially. If I had to change one thing, I'd give more information about what to expect in regards to community service. That way people can prepare themselves and better serve those who they're helping.

Erin
Belmont, Massachusetts

Summer of People (and good food!)

It's hard to put into words, or even cohesive thoughts, everything that I have gained from this experience, but I will do my best, as this is a review. Overall, the trip was an INCREDIBLE experience that I wouldn't have traded for anything else. It is hands down one of the best (if not the single best) things I have done in my life thus far, as it has opened my eyes to so many new cultures and perspectives. My trip began with a view of the most amazing sunset as we flew into Kilimanjaro airport, shortly followed by a delicious home-cooked meal (by candlelight) prepared by the wonderful Mamas! From there, my amazing experiences quickly multiplied, including shopping for fabric at a local market, dancing with a group of grandmothers on a coffee plantation, and hiking through the backyards of members of the Chaga tribe on Mount Kilimanjaro! However, my favorite excursion by far was the Safari Weekend. I have decided that Ngorongoro Crater is my new favorite place in the world--it is so serene and peaceful because the only people there are safari tourists and Maasai. The roof of the safari car raises up so we spent most of the ride standing on our seats, and when you're down there, all you can see is the open sky, rolling plains, and mountains on all sides. We saw zebras, elephants, lions, hippos, impala, and giraffes (to name a few)--some cars saw a lion cross the road right in front of them! Aside from the safari, I think my favorite part of the trip was getting to interact with all of the people I met. One of my favorite moments was when a student looked me in the eye and told me "I write better because of you", to which I replied "I am happier because of you"--I know, SUPER corny, but it's true! Another moment I loved was seeing the excitement on Mama Lucy's face when I told her that her daughter Glari had exceptional English for a six-year old (Glari had spent the evening sitting on my lap helping me play UNO). One of the absolute best moments from my trip was seeing how grateful Mama Hephzibah was when I gave her my sneakers on the last day (it's AMAZING what a single pair of shoes can do!). I was also blown away by how easily our host families accepted us into their homes, and I loved being able to sit in their living rooms and talk for hours about our cultures, dreams and aspirations. The first day I met him my host brother Patric was wearing a shirt with nearly every American logo patched on that you could imagine--he wants to come to America and be a DJ someday! In addition to the native people, I learned so much from my wonderful group members and mentors! It was amazing to hear everybody's stories, people came from all over the place! To name a few, there were six students from China, two Mormons from Utah, a girl from a Native American community in Minnesota, a nationally-ranked pageant-winner from Ohio and one of our mentors was an ex-opera singer on her fifth trip to Tanzania! Although I have tried, I cannot possibly fit everything I want to say into this review, so I will end it by saying that my parents originally said no when I asked to go on the trip (their concerns were cost and safety, neither of which ended up being a problem), but the other day my mom turned to me and said, "I am so glad that you convinced your father and I to let you go on this trip", and I can say with 100% certainty that I'll be forever grateful that I convinced them too!

I would have appreciated having a few more lessons in Swahili so that we could have communicated with the kids more easily. Also, this isn't a comment about GLA but more about service trips in general, but the hardest part of the trip for me was getting to know the other people in my group, at least at the beginning. I think this was partially due to the fact that there were four pairs of people on the trip who came knowing each other, so my advice to people who go on trips with another person is don't be afraid to branch out and meet other people, we want to get to know you!

Michelle
Wisconsin
Martin Luther College

Life Changing

Where do I even start? How do I explain the most amazing three weeks of my life? On the last day I was definitely not ready to go home. I could live there forever in all honesty. Our GLA group truly became a family. One student I became very close with through working with her separately and she, too, became a sister to me. The students are all so adorable. All of the people there are so friendly and loving--even if you've just met them. I daily miss being called "mzungu"(white person) walking down the road and random children running up to us to hold our hand. Beside the family, friends, and home I gained, we hiked to some gorgeous waterfalls, spent a day with some incredible Maasai in their boma, and got to see elephants, lions, and other safari animals in their beautiful homes which we call Tarangire National Park and Ngorogoro Crater. It really was an unforgettable trip. The truth is, I can't explain those three weeks there. I can't explain my love for the people, school, and even the town itself. I can try my best, but the only way anyone could understand is by experiencing it for themself. Don't miss out!!! You have all of this and more to look forward to.

I would have liked to do a little more volunteer work.

jennah
gurnee, illinois

an absolutely amazing adventure

I absolutely loved getting to know the local staff and just walking around the village that we stayed in was so wonderful. Everyone that we encountered was so welcoming and kind, even though we were mzungus (white people). Whenever we passed people on the streets, a simple smile and hello would always be exchanged. That is possibly what i miss most about the trip; the common kindness that everyone carried with themselves.

I personally felt that some of our activities in the afternoon weren't planned out very well/ were somewhat disorganized. In general i had such an amazing time and the support staff was always so nice to me and my fellow student travelers. The tailor that came in was more expensive than we were expecting and the mentors failed to inform us tat there would be added expenses along the way.

Sari
Scottsdale, Arizona

Life changing experience, nothing like it in the world

How to sum up my experience in Tanzania is probably the hardest task anyone could ask of me. I could talk about my trip all day if I wanted to, but I don't think there is any way I could capture my trip by typing letters into my computer. I'll talk about my favorite day of the whole trip. It was the 4th of July, which of course has no meaning to the Tanzanians, but in Arizona (where I'm from) we celebrate the 4th like it's the biggest holiday of the year. I woke up extra early that day so I could wake EVERYONE up by blasting "Party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus and hopefully start a dance party. I know my GLA friends too well, because at 6am everyone got up out of bed to celebrate 4th of July with me by having a dance party to classic America songs. Then we had a delicious breakfast made my the incredibly hospitable cooking staff who I have come to love. We had Tanzania style french toast which I savored because it was AMAZING, served with fresh juice. Then we got on our bus to head down to Himo-Korona Primary school. Godwin, one of the local staff, had turned all the seats on the bus sideways so it was like a party bus (we officially nicknamed the bus the party bus) and we had a dance party all the way to the school, dancing to our favorite Tanzanian artists that the local staff introduced us to. We arrived at the school and just like every day the local young children, who aren't old enough yet to attend the Primary school, were waiting for our bus to arrive so they could chase us and aim to get a high five from us sticking our hands out the windows of the bus. We hustled to our class rooms and started our lessons. We decided that instead of a regular English lesson, we would learn about what the 4th of July is, and then play hangman. The kids were guessing ridiculous letters such as "z, y, q, x, etc.", letters that are definitely not common in the English language. The kids became playfully angry when they couldn't solve the word "thank you" because on such an inquisitive level, they wanted to know how to use every letter. All of the kids continue to amaze me by their eagerness to learn. They have a fire in their heart for education, one I've never seen before. Then after the lesson we headed outside for recess with the kids. The boys in my class took me by the arm and sat me down on a shady rock to play hand games and talk. Then we started showing each other what hidden talents we have. I showed them how I can make my eyes vibrate, while they all decided to start FLIPPING!! One by one, each of my boys took a running start and would step onto a small rock to give them a little bit of extra height, and flip! Soon a crowd started to form and other schoolboys started flipping as well. It was insane! One boy lined up 4 other boys and flipped over all 4 of them! It was the craziest thing I had ever seen, seriously. After all the fun and games at recess we started our community service by planting thorn trees around the school, acting as a fence to keep the children safe. Then we headed back to home base to figure out the rest of the days schedule. Our group split in half, half going to the clothes market, and the other half staying home to make batik paintings. I went with the group to the clothes market and it's pretty much a giant Goodwill. My friends Greg and Frances walked around with me and as we were strolling along the market, we heard a bit of a commotion going on. I looked ahead and I saw a giant American flag being held by a local with a cigarette in his mouth and music playing behind him in his small vendor shop of cheap clothes. Just above the American flag, though, I could see Mount. Kilimanjaro. It was an image that I will never forget. A torn and dirty American flag hanging just below the impressive peak of Mount. Kilimanjaro. We approached the man and danced with him a little and he tried getting me to trade American flags with him because I was holding a mini flag I brought with me. I refused and continued to joke with him and have a good time. The market was such an incredible experience to see how big of a role this small little gathering played in the economics of their community. Then we headed home and when we got there, Godwin was waiting for us with a HUGE smile on his face (as usual) and had cleared a dance floor for us so he could teach us a traditional Tanzanian dance. Godwin never fails to make me laugh, he is honestly the best person I have ever met. To end the day, as a group we all walked to the local bar to watch a World Cup soccer match and we all yelled and screamed for the teams playing, and in that moment, I felt like I was home.

We had a lot of reflection time, some people really enjoyed talking about what they were learning and what they were experiencing while in Tanzania, but I thought it was kinda boring. On the bright side we always did reflections outside in the soft grass which I loved sitting in.

Coli
North Carolina

Just do it! It is worth the money and adventure!!!

I encourage anyone who wants to embark on a mission trip to apply to GLA. The Tanzania trip I went on last summer was even better than I expected( and I had high expectations!) If you are thinking of joining the tanzania trip I would say you need to like kids. This is an unbelievable experience to be role models to children and teach the English too. The housing GLA provides is outstanding, now don't get me wrong, it's not a five star resort. It is a clean, well protected( by a cement wall), and colorful . It is really a home, and you'll be calling it that by the third day guarenteed. If you choose to take this adventure you should bring a raincoat, waterproof shoes( preferably chacos :)) and plenty of snacks like cereal( if you can eat it dry), trail mix and something to suppress your sweet tooth. If you take the risk and go on this adventure of a life time you will not regret it!

this trip would have been a little better if there were some snacks provided, like crackers or nuts.

Violet
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Teaching and Learning in Tanzania

The other kids on my trip were all really nice and we grew really close over the 2 weeks. My favorite aspect of the GLA Tanzania experience was the stress the put on culture. We had many speakers or groups come in to tell us about the local culture and it was really interesting. I felt like it made it a learning experience rather then just a summer vacation.

The water pressure was very low which made it almost impossible to shower properly. Eventually the shower broke all together and me and my roommates had to borrow the one next door.

Kelsey
Killington, Vermont

A Life Changing Experience

It's easy to rate a program with all 10s if you enjoyed it but GLA Tanzania deserves it. This program was unlike anything I have ever experienced before in my life. From teaching English to the most incredible, driven 4th graders at the Himo/ Korona school to spending a weekend with the powerful and beautiful Maasai people, there was never a dull moment on my trip. Everyday was a learning experience and has changed my outlook on my life and the international community.

I can't really imagine changing anything about the program! One thing I wish we had more of was free time or down time. Not at all saying that I didn't enjoy every incredible activity we did but it would have been nice to spend a little more down time talking to other students since we only had 3 weeks to all be together.

Tika
Auburn, Washington

This Grows Me

There are a lot of my favorite memories that I get from this trip. One of them is to teach the local students. I never be a teacher and teach a lot of kids before so it really is my first time and precious moment. Even if I don't get anything in return, it is more than anything to know that the local students learn something from me. I placed my self on their position when I was there; comparing my conditions and their conditions really make me grateful that I can be there to help them. I can go on and on if I talk about the lesson that I get. Every moment from the trip was just precious.

I didn't realize how this experience change me until I went back to United States. I have more confident to express myself, specifically in front of other people.

It's such an incredible experience that I don't regret. To be honest, It wasn't everything that I hope for though. I hoped that I can have more time to explore Arusha (the city where I stayed in Tanzania) more during the free time that I had. However, due to safety issue, GLA didn't allow the students to go outside the base alone. The students will need companion with the mentor/GLA staff to go outside the base. So, I ended up just spend the free time in the base as bounding time with other students. I personally will like it more if they reduce the free time.

Mary
Wilmington, Illinois

Experience of a Lifetime

I can honestly say that Tanzania changed my life. There is not a day I don't wish I could go back. I know that the peers and staff I met there are lifelong friends. Global Leadership Adventures Tanzania has given me a new sense of confidence in myself. While teaching at the local school, the students taught me more about myself than I could ever teach them. As a picky eater, I was surprised at how delicious the food was. I was also surprised at how safe and comfortable I felt at all times. I wish I could go back!

Arvind
Wassenaar, Netherlands

Leadership? Definitely

The GLA trip has made me so much more confident as a person! I highly recommend it to all!
The staff were professional and kept our safety as a first priority all the time! Everyone had an amazing time and I feel privileged having gone on such an amazing trip!

cwallace13
Charleston, SC

The Trip of a Lifetime

My Tanzanian experience was indescribable. Each day we would wake up to the smell of fresh coffee, bread, and fruit then set out to a workday at the primary school. Teaching the children English was the by far the most rewarding thing I have ever done. To know that you have made an impact on someone's future is a feeling that stays with you for the rest of your life. Not only do we teach them, but they taught us. The children were so content, despite what I had anticipated. I am thankful for each moment I had in Tanzania and try my best to follow their lead in finding joy in little things. We also got to adventure on safari to Tarangire National Park and the Ngorogoro Crater, where we saw beautiful animals and landscapes. We were also fortunate enough to stay for a weekend under the stars with the Maasai, where we were immersed into a culture completely foreign to us. Staying with the Maasai challenged me in a way that truly made me accept everyone's differences. We also got to climb around the base of Kilimanjaro--which was amazing and beautiful. When I think back to Africa, I become lost; the stress in everyday life disappears and I feel an inexplicable sense of peace and joy for the blessings I have been given.

I am honestly having to dig into the back of my mind to find anything wrong with my experience with GLA in Tanzania. I really cannot think of anything! If I had to say one thing, maybe more free time spent around the base to hang out with peers.

Aranberger
Stafford, Virginia

Heart&Soul; Tanzania

While in Tanzania, I was able to experience a new culture and lifestyle while building lifetime relationships with those in my group and also my mentors and teachers. Each day the group would have breakfast together, and then go on to either help out at Patandi primary school, or explore the Arusha/Kilimanjaro area. The scene itself is breathtaking, the company is heart warming, and everyone makes you feel welcome. I found another family while in Tanzania and grew through each lesson along with my peers and shared the workload of giving the children of Patandi a new classroom, as we chiseled away at the old concrete to lay a new flooring. We would go on hikes, play soccer, go to museums to learn the history of tanzania, and each night reflect on what we can take from these experiences. In having a leadership seminar to challenge our abilities as leaders and also help build better leaders, I was able to learn how to better communicate and work within groups to complete a task. If there is any question in your mind about whether this trip is for you, then know that there is no education like adversity!

If there was one thing I could change it would have to be the amount of hot water available, but being that I am not used to that it helped to bring the experience to the next level.

ccampbell
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

A life changing experience

The welcome we received from all of the GLA staff and Tanzania locals was absolutely amazing. The environment enabled us to fully enjoy our experience to the best of our ability and learn all their was to learn about ourselves and the surrounding community. I have never come back from any trip quite so educated or opinionated before and it was refreshing to have had the opportunity to do so.

Our program was in the Amani Compound as opposed to Mamma Simba's house. The rooms were a bit of a squeeze and the bathrooms inconvenient due to the number of students we had but it wasn't anything we couldn't handle. The bigger picture was about the kids and the country we were discovering, not the accommodations.

A.A
NL

Amazing 3 weeks.

The GLA Tanzania trip was truly incredible. The staff were friendly and nice and the community service was very enjoyable and fulfilling.
An absolutely amazing trip.

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many students call a life-changing experience, not just a spring break