Volunteer in Tanzania: Children's Education Adventure

Program Highlight!

A full spectrum of Chinese adventure awaits, as complex as the country itself. Hike the Great Wall of China and experience Mandarin immersion and language classes on our China: Mandarin Service Adventure program!

Work side-by-side with local leaders fixing up schools and orphanages facilities. During the weekends, experience a real African wildlife safari and live among the Masai people and learn first-hand about their unique culture. Go beyond the movies and discover the real Africa.

Program Highlights
- Teach English in local classrooms and volunteer on projects at a village primary school
- See zebras, lions, rhinos and more on an incredible African safari
- Hike to a waterfall near Mount Kilimanjaro
- Spend a day among the Maasai nomadic warrior tribe

Hi! This past summer the 14 day group stayed in Moshi and the 21 day group stayed in Arusha.

• Program Selection 9.9
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 9.9

Dad's GLA Review

I was very impressed with my daughter’s service-learning experience with GLA in Tanzania last summer. She received thoughtful guidance and immersion into the local culture and day to day living in the village of Arusha near Kilimanjaro. Here the students give of their time and knowledge to teach and help in executing community projects that improve the lives of local citizens. In turn they learn what it is to engage another culture through their traditions and beliefs. And they are introduced to the diversity of the natural environment that my daughter could only describe as wonderfully strange. This intense three week international experience was inspiring and enriching and reminded my daughter and our family of the promise for what it is to be a global citizen.

Mom's GLA Review

My daughter went on a a 3 week program in Tanzania with the GLA last summer 2017. I had never heard of GLA prior to 2017 but after her expressed interests in taking part in this program, I read everything I could find about it and felt good enough to register her. Everything went without a hitch, all preparations prior to departure were done quickly and painless ourselves because everything was prescribed. And before long, it was departure time, and off she goes to Africa, on her own, meeting up with other teens going to the same program on their flights there to Tanzania. While she was in Africa, I didn’t worry at all because I got email and blog updates on what the kids are up to, with pictures even. I could call her if I needed to, and she could call me and text me while there. All in all, she had “the best 3 weeks of her life so far” and the memories and lessons learned are priceless! I would let her do it again, if she so inclined. I am glad she got to experience this incredible adventure on her own with other teens her age and with experienced guides and a local organizer. This is something that will affect her long after the trip is over.

Tanzania: An extraordinary 3 weeks

Hello, my name is Iman and I went on a Global Leadership Adventures 3-week program to Tanzania this past summer. I have traveled out of the country with my family multiple times in the past, but I had never flown internationally alone. Naturally, I was extremely nervous. However, when I met most of the other GLA participants before our flight to Tanzania, we hit it right off. When we arrived, all of us 30 students got to know each other so well and became extremely close in a matter of days. The fact that we could all relate to each other, yet we were all so different, made volunteering in the Tanzanian community (primarily teaching English at a local school and refurbishing the school) and exploring the country a blast. Throughout the program, I felt safe wherever we went--even if we were in the middle of safari among giraffes,
lions, and elephants! (There's a bodyguard on watch at the home base at all times.) In addition, the mentors are extremely caring about making your experience reflective and memorable. This trip opened me up to a world of travel that I had never before been exposed to. I highly recommend any teen who is seeking an opportunity to make an impact on a foreign community and to be immersed in another culture to look into a GLA program. Personally, I would recommend the 3-week programs (if possible for you) in order to get the full experience.

Overall, this program was spectacular and I do not have any major suggestions for improvement. However, for the first two days, we got off to a slow start and mainly stayed at the home base, so I wish we could have utilized that time somewhat better.
Joe

My Daughters GLA Experience

My daughter Hollie did the 2 week Tanzania trip with GLA in June, 2017. Hollie absolutely loved the entire trip, and was so inspired by it, that her feet have not touched the ground since! Thanks to the meaningful service work that GLA did on her trip (refurbish the classrooms), Hollie even took her service a step further when she returned home, by creating a fundraiser for the kids school, to further refurbish. Her fundraiser has gone very well so far, and she even has future plans to return back ASAP. Also, Hollie made several amazing friends on her trip, three of which happen to be from the same state as us, so they have gotten together multiple times, as well as two who live in the town where she will be attending college, and ones who stay in touch over the phone. GLA sparked a passion in Hollie that I know will be lifelong. If your child is thinking about going on a GLA trip, stop thinking and just GO. They will come home with so much more appreciation of the life they live in the USA.

N/A
Lynette

My Daughters Trip to Tanzania

My daughter went on the 2 week Tanzania trip in 2017. I cannot say enough about how fantastic GLA is! She had the trip of a lifetime. Not only did she fall absolutely in love with Tanzania (the second she got home she has been bugging us about going back!), she loved the experience as a whole, exploring, teaching the children, and meeting new friends from all across the globe and spending this journey with them. She has truly met friends of a lifetime and has already reconnected with some friends back here in the United States multiple times! How cool is that? I would highly recommend GLA to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Their professionalism is amazing, and they truly do everything they say they are going to do. They made planning this trip very easy and will answer any question with delight! From the second we began to plan our daughters trip with GLA, to the second she returned home, everything went as smooth as possible! GLA changed my daughters life, and for that, I am forever grateful!

Don't think it can be!
Hollie

14 Days of Pure Joy

This past summer, I traveled 7,515 miles from New Jersey, USA to Tanzania, Africa, all thanks to Global Leadership Adventures (GLA). Truthfully, words could never adequately describe the experience I had. Before leaving, I was skeptical of the GLA Tanzania Alumni I would see saying things like "life changing" and the "experience of a lifetime". Boy, was I wrong! It definitely is something that you have to experience for yourself to truly understand. However, I hope that in seeing my love and passion for the program, along with thousands of others teens from all around the world, that you are inspired to give it a go! On the Tanzania 14 day program, you get to teach at a primary school for one week, complete 30 hours of volunteer service (doing some type of refurbishing on the school), spend a day with a host family, explore local markets, villages and communities, spend time in an orphanage, hike the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro and even swim in a river there, tour a coffee farm, dance with locals, create traditional African art, embark on a two day safari (AMAZING), try new and exotic foods, and SO much more. Additionally, you make real, deep, meaningful connections with like-minded teenagers who will absolutely, positively be some life long friends of yours! Most importantly though, you learn about yourself! Whoever you are and wherever you came from, you are guaranteed to be enlightened, awakened and have an entirely new perspective on the world at large once your time is up! If you're really daring, I would even say to go for the Flagship (21 day) program, because 14 days really fly! Take a chance! GO FOR IT!

Grace

The Best 14 Days

I went to Moshi, Tanzania with Global Leadership Adventures for two weeks this summer and it was incredible! The local staff was absolutely amazing and we all got so close with them. The mentors were very supportive and fun to hang out with. Our service consisted of teaching and refurbishing a school, and was very rewarding and so much fun! The food on this trip was SO GOOD but, for picky eaters, the staff was always willing to make something that you like. We went to a coffee plantation, orphanage, batik painting lesson and saw cultural dancers perform as well as hiked to the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro! I really recommend this trip because it was honestly the most eye-opening time of my life, and was truly unforgettable!

Maria

My Daughter's Trip

My daughter went to Tanzania last summer, and you should have seen my face when she first asked me what I thought about her travelling half way across the world with an organization I had never heard of before! I was nervous, but Global Leadership Adventures was so quick to answer all of the questions I had for them, and in so much detail. The organization made me feel comfortable and I was very confident my daughter was in good hands. I recommend Global Leadership Adventures to anyone with an adventurous child. We heard about the Tanzania for months after my daughter returning home, but we don't mind, it really did change her life!

This program was perfect for my daughter. Global Leadership Adventures took very good care of her and I knew she was safe, I don't have any recommendations as to approve this program :)
Bettina

Bell in Tanzania

My daughter went to Tanzania this past summer. In preparation for the trip, I was impressed with the organization; nothing was overlooked! The trip was well run and left her with a feeling of accomplishment and a desire for helping more. I highly recommend this trip for any teenager since it will increased their awareness of the world while this organization keeps them safe in their pursuit. They also have fun activities planned in addition to the volunteering.

Isabell

My daughters GLA experience

My daughter went to Tanzania this past summer of 2017 on the 2 week program. In preparation for the trip, I was impressed with the organization; nothing was overlooked! The trip was well run and left her with a feeling of accomplishment and a desire for helping more. I highly recommend this trip for any teenager since it will increased their awareness of the world while this organization keeps them safe in their pursuit.

Isabell

My GLA experience

I went on the 14 day program in Tanzania which was absolutely incredible. We did service during the A.M. on weekdays which was hard work but so heart warming. I had the opportunity to teach English to the 3rd graders at the local school, this was the first year they would be learning English in school. Afterwards, we were able to play together at recess and then volunteers proceeded to do 2 hours taking up and redoing concrete floors, and repainting classrooms with local staff and workers who guided us so incredibly through everything. The thing about making relationships with the third graders was that it was their first year learning English and I had only taken a crash course on Swahili. But I became very close with a young girl who I will never forget and we became very close despite the language barrier. This trip wasn’t about assimilation or volunteer hours. This trip was about being the change. I was changed by those kids and I know part of those kids were changed by me. The country of Tanzania is beautiful and Global leadership adventures was absolutely amazing at letting us see all parts of it and really indulging into the culture that it felt like when i got back to the U.S. i wasn’t “home.” GLA changed my life and I would love to be apart of what they do for the rest of my life. We got to go on a 2 day safari and learn about the history of Tanzania and whats going on in the culture and politics of the nation from people who are from Tanzania. We lived with staff from the town we went to visit. I don’t think theres any better way to do service and learn about people and a culture than how GLA does it.

Updated packing list.
Lydia

Global Leadership Adventures- Tanzania: Heart and Soul

This summer, I went to Tanzania with the program Global Leadership Adventures. I had never been out of the country before, and I was definitely very nervous. After the many hours of travelling to get there, about 20 other students and I arrived at the Kilimanjaro International Airport. Right away, the staff was welcoming and they were so excited to see us. Throughout my time there, my experience was so unique because everyday it felt like I learned something about myself. I felt so grateful and I was so happy every minute I was in Tanzania. Seeing the little children's faces light up when we walked into the classroom to teach them, and seeing how excited they would get when we taught them new words, was the most beautiful sight and feeling. I learned how much I really loved what I was doing, and what path I wanted to head down in my future. For the participants that are going to travel with Global Leadership Adventures, they should know that it is okay to be nervous, but that the staff that work for the organization are going to make you feel at home. There was not a day the whole time I was there I felt uncomfortable in the presence of any staff member. They made me feel like I was apart of this huge second family. The trip impacted my life in so many positive ways. When I came home, I had an overwhelming sense of thankfulness and happiness. The people in Tanzania taught my what happiness is, and it is not having a bunch of things and you should never be upset when you don't get what you want. They taught me that happiness is surrounding yourself with people that are positive, loving, and grateful. It also impacted my life so much because it made me realize the type of profession I want to be in my future. Next year, wherever I decide to go to college, I will be majoring in international studies so I can continue to learn about different cultures and travel the world. My main tip would be push yourself. Push yourself out of your comfort zone, because if I had not pushed myself out of mine, my life would not have been forever changed.

I truly have no recommendations for the organization for improvement, because to me it was perfectly organized. This trip was truly the most amazing time of my life, and I would not ask for a single thing to be different.
Joe

Safety of GLA

My 17 year old daughter asked me about going with GLobal Leadership Adventures to Tanzania about a year before the trip. Immediately I said no. I quite frankly did not trust anyone to take her across the world without me. She is very stubborn, however and I ended up looking into the program. It had lots of things that I liked and I knew she would love, but was still immensely terrified of her leaving without me for 2-weeks. The moment that I began to actually think about letting her go was after a phone call with a GLA representative. Talking to a real person eased my tension and she focused my attention on the safety of the program. While those 2-weeks were gut wrenching for me, my daughter had the time of her life and came back an even better person than she was before. I never thought that I would say this, but I recommend GLA 100% and feel that my daughter was very well cared for. While I would rather she was always home in my protection, that is unrealistic and I know that she benefited a lot from the experience.

I would love it if an adult were to fly with the children because my greatest fear was my daughter flying across the world alone.
Taylor

Nothing Better

Imagine being surrounded by like minded people and people of a completely different culture than the one you have always known. Imagine dancing with a Maasai tribe, teaching primary school children, and observing lions in their natural habitat. Now stop imaging and experience it. My time in Tanzania was the best of my life. I learned gratitude, patience, and appreciation. I learned my passions. I learned my potential. I learned about myself. I felt incredibly safe and respected throughout the program. The directors and mentors make a huge effort to get to know each student. Every part of my trip changed me and molded me into a better person. I am so excited for my next trip with GLA! Take the leap and join Global Leadership Adventures!!!!!!

I genuinely think that this program is perfect in every way and I truly would not change it.
Maeve

Two Weeks in Tanzania

I traveled to Tanzania with Global Lewdeship Adventures for two weeks in August 2017. I am someone who is very attached to the their friends and family, and couldn't imagine traveling with a group of strangers for two weeks abroad. As my trip neared, I thought I was crazy for signing myself up! But I wouldn't have wanted to go with any other program. Global Leadership Adventures made my trip the most amazing thing I have ever done. I made friends I still talk to and hope to see soon, and I made relationships with Tanzanians that I hope to never lose touch with. This program made me realize how incredible the world around us is, and forced me to put myself out there and engage in this wonderful world. I could not recommend this program enough. The staff and experience made me appreciat life more, and gave me a bad case of th travel bug. I'll be back, Tanzania!!

In all honesty, my trip was an amazing experience and I wouldn't change a thing.

About Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many...